It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teeth, toothache, tooth removal in a survival situation.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What is comes down to is that if you're going to pull a tooth (Lord help you, I'd rather take the Old Yeller trip than do it myself), you're going to have to sterilize that. The way they did that in the olden days, and I hate to say it...

was a glowing effing coal, straight from the fire. It cauterized the nerve, sealed the wound, and was the most horrific pain imaginable. Start growing that morphine, because toothcare isn't all prevention. Accidents happen, and not-so-accidents happen. You get in a dustup, someone knocks half a tooth out of your face, you might have to pull it.

Good luck, yo.

DE

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Deus,
you kind of nailed it.

Life is full of knocks - some a suprise, some less so...but a tooth breaking in the middle of no where... no dr or dentist to do the do...what you gonna do about it?

Yep thats right, your gonna either have to lump it, or take the pain... and im all for starting a poppy field just in case!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Remember, tobacco works pretty well too, and it has the added benefit of not bringing the DEA to your door in the meantime..yaknow, while we're all waiting for Situation X to unfold.

If I didn't say this before, I'll say it now, this was a fine idea for a thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The Orthodontist has it right.

The tooth will work it'self out eventualy, it is the infection and pain that occurs while waiting that can be debilitating.

Salt is a good temporary month rinse/tooth cleanser.
Salt water gargle can be a small relief particularly for swolen/cracked gums.

I had a tooth go bad, the root decayed. For 48 or so hours life wasn't warth anything due to the pain. My dentist drilled a small hole into the root and poof....instant relief.

Supposidly an old-timer blew a rotten tooth and a chunk of his jaw out of his mouth with a 12 gauge and a load of buck-shot because he had to address the pain. (Eliminated his life too...) I was skeptical but the teller was adament......

Having sufferred an absesced tooth I can almost relate!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

They use that to anesthetize fish (clove oil).

I've never known you could use it on people too, but it certainly makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Ever seen The Marathon Man?

Peace

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Very interesting. This has been a concern of mine as well. I already have a toothbrush and a few boxes of toothpaste in my BOB though.

I'd like to add that honey is just an all around great thing. Honey releases a very very low level of hydrogen peroxide. Low enough to not cause tissue damage, but high enough to kill antibiotic resistant bugs. The more dilute it is, the more potent [I know that sounds backwards... it's something to do with the greater the distance between honey molecules the higher the amount of peroxide released I think]. I use it on all my cuts and injuries and they heal faster than with normal OTC antibiotics.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Its been interesting to see your responses, and its been enlightening for me as well...

None of you have mentioned that you have an emergency repair kit in your plans / BOB.. or mentioned the fact that you may try and get a little rudimentary knowledge behind you.

Alot of good stuff is available on the web for repairs on the fly as to speak, and available really cheap, even if its to pack it out with polymear repair kit til yuo get a bit more settled.

Well, I hope to hear more from the dentists / orthodontists regarding the 'tooth will come out naturally' slant.... very interesting indeed... as for pain killers and antibiotics, we sure as hell will need to look back to the basics for our long term care should need arise.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This reminded me of a friend of mine. Needless to say he was very unconcerned about his dental hygiene. By the time we graduated high school he had lost like 3 teeth due to rot. I always wondered how he dealt with the pain and his answer was that after a few weeks the tooth would just stop hurting and he would randomly find chunks of tooth in his mouth...

So i guess the main thing would be to just deal with the pain and eventually the tooth would rot away...i know...not very pleasant.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I almost laughed when i saw the title of this thread. Having a tooth out in a survival situation is what made me have a severe dental phobia that prompted me not to visit a dentist for 9 years. Only now am i having treatment done under sedation to which my final appointment for treatment is at end of this month.

Basically 11 year ago i was in a 8 man military patrol out on the border of Jordan/Iraq. We were a self presevation patrol ie we were dumped out with enough water, food, and ammo to last us a week or so. On the second day of the patrol i fired a 66 mil shoulder launcher and didnt have a grip of the thing hard enough. The thing recoiled and caught me smack on the lower jaw breaking one of my lower rear teeth. I was in absolute agony rolling over the floor squirming. Now it would have been very easy to have me heli out to a field hospital however my colleauges decided otherwise. With my permission (I was in too much pain) they extracted my tooth using nothing more than a set of rifle pliers. Obviously not being dentists they were decided to pin me down and pull the thing as hard as they could instead of pushing and twisting which would have made it easier for myself and for them. anyway the result of this was a extraction to which after half an hour i was able to carry on. The other result is that it set in me a deep rooted fear of dentisits something i have only this year managed to get over by having dental sedation.

My fear was that bad that over the last 9 year i myself removed a further 2 teeth myself for fear of visiting the dentist. The thought of in another 5 years having teeth like a rack of burnt toast spurned me to seek proffesional help to which i am going through now and now have a nice set of healthy teeth and a great smile again

[edit on 2-1-2007 by thesaint]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Tust me, I am no fan of dentists, but you have to see one! I had a cavity that I didnt see the dentist about for few months. Well, the decay reached the pulp of the tooth, which is the nerve cluster of the tooth. By the time I went to the dentist, the tooth was so decayed that you could feel that most of it was gone. Anyway, the dentist drilled it and that night was one of the worse nights of my life. I was in agony so I called the dentist and he prescribed me some vicodin. Thank God for opiates!!!!!

Apparently the dental professional before has never expierenced this kind of pain or they would know that it is the type of pain that often leaves you unable to function.

As for tobacco, I dont know if any of you have ever chewed tobacco but I can tell you that it wont do a damn thing for toothaches. In fact, it irritates the gum line and leaves blisters especially if you do not usually use oral tobacco products. Tobacco works for beestings, I think it will only make a toothache worse.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You don't chew it to get relief, you pack it around the injured tooth in a compress.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by undercoverchef
wow - you guys are really getting me thinking... i thought i had most things covered and then AngryAmerican comes along with his eye protection thread and now this

I have had a quick surf for Dental Tools on Google and found this...

www.medical-tools.com...

It seems that there is different forceps for different Teeth so you would need to purchase a whole set... The danger with using normal pliers seems to be the tooth snapping and leaving the root behind... Ouch!!!

I own a orthodontic lab and you guys are way off on yout theories. If you have a decayed tooth and it starts to ache if you can wait it out the nerve will die and then your body will start to reject the dead cells. keys to this process is keeping infection down. over about a month period after the nerve has died and the pain has decressed the tooth will be come brittle and as long as you have no pre-emptive implications with tissues damage or infections the tooth will beging to break away above the gingival margin once the clinic crown has been broken off the remaining tooth will be treated like a splinter your body will reject it.

Is this true?? If so then cool
Although i have had dental problems in the past and, to be honest, i dont know if i could just wait it out if i had an extraction tool sitting in my kit

Oh yeah... Clove oil is great stuff

It's true...I wouldn't just let it go if you have the means to have the dental work done. But if you were to be put in a position as to not have dental access then using warm water and salt as a oral rinse will control open tissue infections..If you have a broken crown and nerve damage and need temporary relief..And this is going to hurt like never before but it will stop the pain period until you can get dental help. take a "DRY" cotton balls and place in the cheeks to absorb your drool. Then take a dry cotton swab and place it directly on the breakage and dry the area. Once dry and you will know this because your nerve will be completely exsposed to air so the pain will be bad! But take super glue..yes super glue and apply directly to the area and let dry. This will provide a barrier against nerve exsposure.And super glue by chemical nature will kill all bacteria in the area. This will ony last as possible as 2 maybe 3 weeks but it will buy you some time and relief. And this is not for you to just save some bucks and suffer through pain as I don't advise you to just let nature take it's course on this.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
the chemical nature of super glue is to deconstruct at a molecular level and rejoin... man i've seen my fair share of kids / adults with super glued fingers/ hands/ even a nose sealed tight... yeah and he said he wasn't sniffing it lmao.

But for a tooth ache? wowser, thats some thing even I had never thought about before.. I can see where the logic lays in it, but man.. super glue. Good one.

Now i'll dig some links for emergency on the fly dental repair kits.. heres two to have a look at!

www.dentistinabox.com.au...

Notice it has temp filling material added to its list..so no super glue needed..

and here is my favorite - my winner by a country mile - does exactley as it says on the tin..

www.dentanurse.com...

awesome kit. Find one, I advise you to get it and shove it in your stash.

Cheers for the reads people, some good ideas and thoughts have come up from it. Nicely!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Yes, clove oil is a proven great short term painkiller. The salt water also works short term, (I know from experience). But finding cloves or salt in the wild may be a bit difficult.

So don't forget about garlic!
It grows wild globally, is easily identified, has proven antibiotic ability, and its use dates all the way back to Sumaria.

Garlic has long been used as a tooth and gum remedy ~ In folklore, abscesses in the mouth were frequently treated by wrapping a raw, uncut clove of garlic in a layer of gauze and placing it on the problem area, often inserting it between the gum and the cheek.

Herbal Lore & Remedies

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Im new to ATS this is a good thread never heard of the garlic and honey remedies also instead of tooth past for a bob how about dry baking soda.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
damn..i have toothache right now,i cant imagine having to pull a tooth out,i think the best option would be to use natural painkillers and wait until the nerves rot away.Im guessing in a sit x situation and in an extreme amount of pain drug laws wont mean much to you so poppy pod tea would be the way to go,along with high proof alcohol which should clean the area aswell as numb the pain.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
another vote for clove oil here, or in a pinch, cloves.

I got hit with a nasty toothache a few years back, at around midnight (when they usually kick in). My choices were to kill a bottle of scotch or try something with cloves. Putting a clove on the tooth and biting down slightly to hold it in place and sucking on it for a while did the trick.

The added benefit is that the taste of sucking on a clove for an hour or so really does a lot to take your mind off things. Instead of thinking "oh god, my tooth hurts, I wish I was dead", you're thinking "oh, god, everything I eat for the next week is going to taste like cloves, I wish I was dead".

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have benn poor most oif my life. Don,t fill sorry for me because its been great. Iv,e learned moore in one lifetime then most whould in 10. IF you can get 100 proof vodke you have it made, ALC KILLS INFECTION AND PAIN, Leave it on the bad tooth as long as you can, Spit and redo untill it stops hurting. Then get as drunk as you can and have someone pull that sun of gun as soon as you can. Over the years I have done four of mine this way. Two of them my two frount top, Its hell but it works.
On a side note, booze will be great for trade if TSHTF..

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That is rediculous! Let the tooth just fall out... Well it is the infection that will kill you the pain is just an indicator of a deeper problem.

The best thing to do is to complain alot now and get a bunch of antibiotics and store them properly, that will buy you and your loved ones some time, but will not take care of the problem in the long term.

I hate to suggest this but you can get antibiotic for your prets, cattle and such now and very cheap and over the counter at your local feedstore.

I had a great great aunt that died from an infected and abscessed tooth during the depression, very ugly when the whole side of your head and face swell up, and then when it popps from the pressure it shoots straight to the brain.

Get all of your dental work done now and if you have really bad teeth, get them out and get dentures with backups.

DONT USE FLOURIDE...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
That is rediculous! Let the tooth just fall out... Well it is the infection that will kill you the pain is just an indicator of a deeper problem.

The best thing to do is to complain alot now and get a bunch of antibiotics and store them properly, that will buy you and your loved ones some time, but will not take care of the problem in the long term.

I hate to suggest this but you can get antibiotic for your prets, cattle and such now and very cheap and over the counter at your local feedstore.

I had a great great aunt that died from an infected and abscessed tooth during the depression, very ugly when the whole side of your head and face swell up, and then when it popps from the pressure it shoots straight to the brain.

Get all of your dental work done now and if you have really bad teeth, get them out and get dentures with backups.

DONT USE FLOURIDE...

This guy is right !!! do it if you can. At $80. a tooth when you have no money or job, I should have had all mine pulled while I had the money.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join