It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books for Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I wanted to create a thread for all of us to post amazon links, or whatever to awesome books we own/have seen that might be valuable to include in our survival stash.

Personally, I will always keep my duct-taped spine BoyScout Handbook with me, if for nothing else sentimental value. It does contain quite a bit of good information on knots and lashings--as well as fire construction.

Another good books I have in my bag is the US Army Survival Guide...I'm not sure on the specific "FM" number (FM meaning "Field Manual")...but I have about 50 diffrent Field Manuals in PDF format on my computer and on USB jump-drives.

I figure, that if im a "fugative" hiding in the woods from the NWO, I want to know exactly what the millitary is taught. Platoon formations, recon guidelines...movement tactics.

In addition, the US Army Survival Guide also has a section on how to rig up snares and fish-traps for covert food gathering.

I'd also highly suggest that everyone go to a locally owned bookstore and try and find a local book on the edible/medicinal plants of YOUR AREA.

Most of the mainstream books on plants I have seen are not Alaska-specific. . . I was able to find a few books on the ethnopharmacology of Alaska plants via the knowledge of the local Inuit/Athabascan Indians that live around here.

This kind of knowledge just might save your life from an infection or parasite ...

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I found this one valuable. The guy was the best friend of an indian whose father was one of the last true wilderness living indians or something. Anyway, good info!

www.amazon.com...=sib_dp_pt/002-6872102-0227255#reader-link

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Storeys Basic Country Skills

How to build, grow, raise, kill, butcher, store and prepare everything.
Its a farm in a book.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
www.amazon.com...=8-1/qid=1167775120/ref=sr_1_1/002-4909508-0473639?ie=UTF8&s=books

The goal of Lundin's book is to teach you how to survive until help arrives.
As such, he doesn't attempt to teach primitive living skills. As he points out, it's not that they're without value, but the most common wilderness emergency situation is being stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days. His in-depth explanations of how the body succumbs to hypothermia and hyperthermia are well written and serve to drive home his points regarding proper clothing and hydration. Lundin also stresses the importance of keeping your head and offers useful advice for doing so. The section on survival kits is highly informative with good logical explanations for each item included. The author provides valuable, easy-to-follow instructions in other areas as well (such as fire starting and signaling rescuers). There isn't much at all on land navigation, but then again that's not the subject Lundin is dealing with. The book, while well written and often humorous, frequently uses language that's unnecessarily raw, but given the excellent information presented, it's easily overlooked. This is a well written text that provides a great deal of information in a format that is easily understood.

What I like most is Cody's survival kit, a core to the book. It is small (fits in a fanny pack), lightweight (under 5 lbs), and inexpensive (no costs given, but I priced it out at well under $50 and that is buying much of the pieces at a regular retailer, as opposed to a discount store).

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Any chance someone could post some PDF files for us to read?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Here ya Go Enjoies,

This is one of the BEST places to find Military manuals. There is more here than you will want to read.
FM 21-76 is the field survival manual most folks talk about.

Global Security

One thing to point out... Keeping manuals on a computer will do you no good when the power fails. Sometimes a hard copy is worth having.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Terapin]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The Mother Earth News magazine, especially the older copies are full of practical how-to and back-to-the-land practices that show how an off-the-grid lifestyle can be done.

I also like the "Foxfire" books by Eliot Wigginton. He chronicled the skills and lost arts of the 'mountain' folk.......those who knew how to live off the land, because that was all they had. These are informative and entertaining in the bargain.

(Arrrgg, can a mod fix that looonngge link? )

[edit on 2-1-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Here ya Go Enjoies,

This is one of the BEST places to find Military manuals. There is more here than you will want to read.
FM 21-76 is the field survival manual most folks talk about.

Global Security

One thing to point out... Keeping manuals on a computer will do you no good when the power fails. Sometimes a hard copy is worth having.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Terapin]

Indeed, thats why I spend a few hrs every now and then printing and 3-hole punching these manuals for binders!

That is an awesome site my friend, you get my WATS vote! Best FM site i've ever seen!

Mad, MAD Props!

CX

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
For those here who are planning for more extreme measures of survival...

Mantrapping

CX.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, Terapin

Thats a cool site.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm sure you have all read it all ready, but Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, has always been my all time favorite EOTWAWKI novel. Within its glorious pages you can also find a good list of books to have for preserving important knowledge in a survival situation.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Any Brits out there who can recomend a good book on wild edible British plants?

No point in me worrying about building a concrete bunker if im gonna poison myself with wild mushrooms hehehe

Ive also been looking for one on British trees but not had much luck...

I know the basic trees (Birch, Pine, oak etc) but would like a more in depth guide.

thx

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I found a interesting book on survival techniques called "How to survive a zombie attack" it is a little odd but the information is however usefull.
it teaches traps, hiding places, and avoidence techniques. here's a link that about sums up the book: How to survive a zombie attack

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
I also like the "Foxfire" books by Eliot Wigginton.

I've looked everywhere for copies of those books online in a .pdf format or something and had no luck. I'm pretty sure they are out of print and the whole series is a bit pricey for me at the moment and hard to come by (if not rare), but man I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the whole set. My mom had the whole set for a while but they are long gone now. Anybody know of a way to get ahold of these books, U2U me

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is a great book for those of us that are very inexperienced in survival skills:

Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback): www.amazon.com...

Written by Neil Strauss, who is a journalist from the New York Times and is very witty. Its a quick and interesting read. He covers a lot of topics like wilderness survival, urban survival, shooting and weapons training, and even dual citizenship for when TSHTF.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Please be VERY careful on which 'survival' book you use, one wrong piece of advice can end very badly.

That being said I read and trust :

U.S. Army Survival Handbook, Revised

Pocket Size : SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is a link to many books on the subjects you like. Please check it out, share with your friends. It is updated regularly!

www.4shared.com...

Namasté

chemtrailswitzerland.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
This is a great book for those of us that are very inexperienced in survival skills:

Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback): www.amazon.com...

Written by Neil Strauss, who is a journalist from the New York Times and is very witty. Its a quick and interesting read. He covers a lot of topics like wilderness survival, urban survival, shooting and weapons training, and even dual citizenship for when TSHTF.

I just got done reading this book, and I found it to be a very good read. One thing about Strauss is that whatever he does, he does all out. "The Game" is another of his books, although it has nothing to do with survival.....well actually I take that back, it does, but not the kind of survival we are thinking of here.

new topics

top topics

join