It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What survival equipment do you have?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Here are several pictures of my SKS and my gas mask, I would like to know what the members of ATS think of it, and/or offer some advice as to what other rifles/equipment would be good to buy.

My SKS (It hadn't been cleaned in a few days):

Here is my SKS with the bayonet half folded out and the magazine unclipped:

Heres me holding my SKS. I am also wearing my gas mask for some reason:

This is me holding my SKS at port, I'm still wearing my gas mask:

-SS

[edit on 31-12-2006 by SneakySquirrel]

[edit on 31-12-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
My gas mask doesn't have the filter on it, I removed it and replaced it with an applicator that I use to smoke cigarettes through. I know thats odd, but hey, it's what I do.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I dont have any gear I am willing to share and I know we are trying to cut down on the one liners around here but for some creepy reason, and out of ALL the things on ATS that could freak me out... this very post... really creeps me out.

Just me?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I find it creepy as well. Suppose the police state or NWO or any other police agency in times of a catastrophe decide to round up all weapons. They come across this thread on your home computer and there you are, displaying all your junk for the world to see.

I can see discussing these things and giving input, but listing and displaying what you have is a really bad idea.

The only reason i'm leaving this thread open is to see what other members think of it, and to get some general info about how this could effect your survival.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I find it creepy as well. Suppose the police state or NWO or any other police agency in times of a catastrophe decide to round up all weapons. They come across this thread on your home computer and there you are, displaying all your junk for the world to see.

That is precisely what I thought as soon as I saw this thread. Scary scary. They would have you already pinned down, with pictures of what your weapons look like.

Of course, if you don't believe that any of the police state/NWO stuff, then I guess you don't have to worry.

I'm gonna worry, though.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
its some thing to do with the grainy 'death throws' filter and those flying ducks across the wall...

damn man this threads freaked me to the core!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Two things very wrong with your equipment:

1) You state that your gun hasn't been cleaned in a few days. This shows lack of maintenance. Guns need to be kept clean... no ifs, ands, or buts. If you plan on using ANY equipment in a survival situation then you better keep it in tip top shape. Having a gun jam just when you need it most, because you were too lazy to keep it clean only serves you right.

2) That Gas mask is useless and it is obvious you are using it as a toy, much like your gun. Gas mask filters should be kept sealed until you need them. The likelihood of a gas attack in the US is small but if it did happen then you would be stuck. Having a cigarette holder for a gas mask is simply foolish.

If you feel the need for having a gun then get a Ruger 10/22. You are too small to use that bayonet properly and probably haven't had any hand to hand combat training. The Ruger is more suited to general survival while that SKS would only be good for a militia in combat.

If you are concerned about a gas attack, then you better get some gas impermeable clothing as well. Modern gas warfare uses gasses that can kill you with skin contact. Bio/Gas attacks are even more gruesome. If you are just worried about tear gas then get a fresh filter and keep it sealed until you need it. Those filters have a short life once they are exposed to air. Keeping them sealed will keep them fresh. I have been hit with tear gas and while not much fun, it can be survived without a mask. Having a good mask, knowing how to use it properly, and knowing how to react, will serve you well.

Survival is not a game. I don't mean to pick on you, but if you are serious, then you should act so. If you're just having fun, that's cool, but don't pretend that it will actually help you when the fit hits the shan.

One last comment ... stop smoking. Smoking only feeds corporate coffers and makes you weak. The Marlboro man has turned you into another junkie and is taking your money to boot. Poor lung capacity will make things worse if you ever have to use that gas mask. You would do better to show off your first aid kit, your bivy bag, or your water filter.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Count me in among the freaked out, and I dont baleave in all that NWO stuff. there is just someting about it cant really put my finger on it, but I dont like it.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have clothes, food, water and a shelter to last me at least 6 mths. I also have 4 frs radios, camcorder, police scanner, cell phone, laptop computer, a night vision scope and a survival knife. My supplies are always upgraded or added to.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I recommend that you take the bayonet off that rifle. It makes them barrel heavy. In a survival situation you are mostly looking to avoid conflict. You are much better off with some kind of utility knife than a bayonet.

THe poster who spoke about the gas filter cartridges being sealed in storage is correct. The gas masks themselves also have a specific shelf life on the rubber of which they are made. After so many years rubber breaks down and they will be useless.

My SKS rifles are posted on the thread "How to defend yourself on a budget." I have purchased two of them. THey are a good rifle for the moneys. They are rifles you can afford to lose rather than more expensive models. Ammunition is cheap and of different varietys too.
In the soft point ammunition they are suitable for hunting medium game but not at long distances.
These are also rifles small enough of stature that a woman can use them..recoil is also small on them.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew Id see pictures of some masked guy with a cheap rifle. I just knew it.

How is it that "survival" became reduced to the mimicing of scenes depicted in the liner notes of a Sepultura album? Chaos A.D. comes to mind.

Nothing against having weapons and being trained to use them but being able to run and shoot hardly qualifies as "survival."

Perhaps there should be "resistance" or "guerilla" board.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have no idea who is Sepultra?? or the other group you mentioned.

However I agree survival is more ..much more than just a rifle. I think some do not understand this. Even within this gear mentioned in your post there is alot of misunderstanding as to its use and maintenance.

However in fairness to the posters on this board and topic the bulk of peoples are very level headed and thoughtful also receptive to new informations or concepts...understandings. What you are speaking of is not what I witness in great quantitys on this board.

Some in here contribute very carefully thought out posts and informations on almost any aspect of the topic and are very helpful to others.

We do not want to have this board degenerate as you properly indicated into a guerilla/resistance board. Not Smart. Good point on your part.

We want to gently guide such people into other lines or trails of more productive thought and action...verses any type of harsh rebuke.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

I can see discussing these things and giving input, but listing and displaying what you have is a really bad idea.

Unless you bought firearms from a private individual, the government will know what you have (or at least what you bought) anyway.

Whenever you buy from a dealer or agent with an FFL and have to fill out the sheet and have your name called in for a background check is when you know the government has the goods on you.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

I have no idea who is Sepultra?? or the other group you mentioned.

Sepultura is a heavy metal rock band. Nowhere near as good as Pantera.

I agree with you about avoiding guerilla bands unless the NWO starts rounding up folks whole sale, then I'd say go for broke. You'll have nothing to lose except your life/freedom.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SneakySquirrel
My gas mask doesn't have the filter on it, I removed it and replaced it with an applicator that I use to smoke cigarettes through. I know thats odd, but hey, it's what I do.

I bit Dale Gribble-ish, I mean with the cigarette mod and all. Just a little fun. Could't resist!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
All i have is a knife. sorry

top topics

join