It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

flu vaccine to prevent all strains of flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
check out this article about a vaccine to prevent all strains of the flu

source

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Intriguing.

I wonder what the new approach is that they're using.

apc

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The universal vaccines focus on a different protein called M2, which has barely changed during the last 100 years.

The protein is found in all types of Influenza A, including the current bird flu and the virus that caused the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic which killed up to 50 million across the globe.

Intriguing indeed. I have to wonder why this protein wasn't targeted before.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
There are several companies working on a universal vaccine - and it does seem like a good idea.

But...

Dr Ron Cutler, an infectious diseases expert from the University of East London, ...cautioned however, that there is no guarantee that the M2 protein will not mutate in the future - meaning the jab will have to be regularly reformulated.

Evolution just sucks sometimes, don't it?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
And.....

Vaccines force viruses to change direction, and mutate along new pathways. Unfortunately.

There is no guarantee that the M2 protein will not mutate in the future - meaning the jab will have to be regularly reformulated cautions Dr Ron Cutler, an infectious diseases expert from the University of East London.

More to the scientific point:

Medications that target proteins cause the targeted proteins to misfold, and create new protein strains called prions. Which is exactly what most pharmaceuticals do.

Then the prions interfere with the microbes' gene expression, change its DNA, and create new microbial strains.

Depending on the protein, the prion also can infect other organisms' cells directly - like human cells - and then its a whole new mutation-and-evolution ballgame.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yeah, I created a post on this a few days ago. It really is stunning news.

Click here

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Its goood news that this research now seems to be spreading to many differant labs and getting close to actual use in the population...

This is not new however please see submission below:

ATSNN Influenza Breakthrough A New Treatment For All

Researchers at Warwick university have had results in this area back in late 2006

I just hope something comes on the market before any pandemic starts.

Regards

Elf.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted this same story in the Medical forum back on December 29th and no one wanted to talk about it. Haringr is more popular than I am.

waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa (self pity party coming!)

new topics

top topics

join