It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is celebrating New Years in Times Square safe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
With the recent bombings in both Madrid and Bangkok happening just before the New Year, and the recent hanging of Saddam, will celebrating New Years Eve in New York City's Times Square be a good idea?

Terrorists have a new reason to strike back after Saddams hanging and New York has long been a target for terrorist activities. Thousands of drunk Americans milling about in close quarters would make a significantly symbolic and ideal target. The Police do not check every back pack and hand bag, and it would be very easy to slip in among the revelers in the attempt to cause mayhem.

Do you think it is safe?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin

Do you think it is safe?

Are you gonna let it stop you going out?
Life is a risk, we cant live in fear.

Happy New Year

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think it's pretty safe, I just don't want to go down there because I don't like being crammed into a cramped space with millions of people around me without alcohol or food for hours.

I'll be ringing in the New Year at a nice French restaurant uptown...seems much more civilized.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
if you dont go simply because of the fear of terrorism, then the terrorists have already beaten you. obviously, there is no guarantee that you will be safe....but personally, i'd be more worried about getting mugged.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Do you think it is safe?

Probably as safe if not slightly more given the number of police and bomb sniffing dogs assigned to the area.

One reporter assigned stated you are probably safer in TS then in your car, but that was just his guess I assume.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Ringing in the New Year in New York City has always been something I looked forward to. Not sure if I would want to be right in the heart of Times Square, but I would certainly want to check it out if only for a moment.

Is it safe?

After 9/11, I can remember watching the World Series on television when the Yankees played the Diamondbacks. I could not stop thinking that something devastating was going to happen at Yankee Stadium during the series. Obviously nothing did, and has since. But huge sporting events where we see 20 to 100+ thousand people crammed into a stadium, or nights like New Years Eve at Times Square, it has always seemed as a likely target for an act of terrorism.

So yes, it has always been in the back of my mind. But it would not prevent me from living my life. As Denied has said, life itself is a risk. Leaving your house in the morning is a risk, yet we do it every day.

If they can sell out Yankee Stadium three weeks after 9/11, I think it is safe to say that Times Square will be jammed tonight. ...Not to say it is not in the back of our minds though.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

If they can sell out Yankee Stadium three weeks after 9/11, I think it is safe to say that Times Square will be jammed tonight. ...Not to say it is not in the back of our minds though.

Don't waste your money on a Yankee's game

Like chissler, it's always in the back of my mind. I'm constantly thinking of all the what if scenarios. I'm not gonna change my plans or anything because of it, but the idea of a terrorist attack at Time Square on New Years has crossed my mind.

Anyways...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! It's 2007 in China. I got stuck with the late shift, someone has to do it

[edit on 31/12/2006 by SportyMB]

[edit on 31/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Can I just say that the Terrorists don't need a motive to strike, they didn't particularly like Sadamn anyway, as he wasn't religiously motivated.

He did support Palestinian terrorists, however.

Britain is on it highest alert level for a long time now, and their are reports from senior police figures that it will be a miracle if there isn't an attack over the holiday period. Maybe it is scare mongering, who knows.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I guess it would be just as safe as it usualy is in times square. I don't live in NY but I would go down there if I did.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would go, But id be smart,

Make sure you don't feel the need to push to the front, stay in as un crowded bit as you can,

make sure you know the way out and be vigilant, if you see something odd then don't be afraid to go say to one of the number of police that will be around, make sure you a wrapped up in case the need to cover up

Just take precautions and go and have a great time,

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

With the recent bombings in both Madrid and Bangkok happening just before the New Year, and the recent hanging of Saddam, will celebrating New Years Eve in New York City's Times Square be a good idea?

Terrorists have a new reason to strike back after Saddams hanging and New York has long been a target for terrorist activities. Thousands of drunk Americans milling about in close quarters would make a significantly symbolic and ideal target. The Police do not check every back pack and hand bag, and it would be very easy to slip in among the revelers in the attempt to cause mayhem.

Do you think it is safe?

Whats better or worse?

a new years where the newspapers blow by on empty streets where police patrol the potential terrorist "show down" ???

or

going, have a blast, and maybe getting blasted literally.. ??
living life happy, and enjoying it to the fullest... ?

We are in a very strange cusp my friends.. its make or break time...

I think the kids are going to have to lead the way....
don't stop them, or there will be hell to pay. literally.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
if you dont have a hotel room or you dont live there than i wouldnt go... because the train ride home is gonna suuuuuuck!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Do you think it is safe?

Wrong on every level. Handbags and backpacks are prohibited in Times Square for New Year's celebration, as well as alcohol.

[edit on 12/31/06 by pugachev]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It is good to see that people are not intimidated by possibilities. More people die each year in motor vehicles than terrorist attacks yet we all keep on driving. Times Square is a great place to celebrate the New Year and terrorist threats do nothing to further their agenda.

Pop open the Moet, and drink a cup for Auld Lang Syne!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It probably is, but you know what, why risk it. I have been thinking ever since Y2K that something was gonna happen on New Years Eve there. I don't live far away but its never appealed to me to go down there and get jammed in a crowd of drunken people. Years ago it wasn't as packed and my parents used to go there but with all the security now its probably not worth all the hassle. Better off to go to a club or a party at a friends house.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
They are very strict about taking alcohol there now, it's almost impossible as everyone is searched before they're squeezed into an area. The only people that have good access to food & drink have paid hundreds of dollars per person to a party at a bar/restaurant that is right on Broadway and have the ability to go in and out of the bar/restaurant.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I don't see any reason why someone would want to subject themselves to the humiliation of being herded into little pens like two-legged cattle, in the freezing cold, just to watch a big, bright ball slide down spike.

All of that is bad enough without being searched and intimidated by the riot police.

:shk:

I was in Times Square for 2000 - and I'll never go again. The cops were mean-spirited and insulting, the crowd was obnoxious, the weather was not pleasant, and the only way I could see a damn thing was to climb up on a newspaper box. I have a photo somewhere, that I took from on top of a payphone, of close to a million people (maybe more, I don't know), and here I am, I HATE crowds! What was I doing there? My girlfriend at the time wanted to go, and I was foolish enough to think it wouldn't be so bad...

Take my advice, if you've got the choice, stay at home, it's warm, there's booze, you can smoke in peace, hang out with your loved ones, and watch the festivities from a safe distance. That's my Grinchly wisdom for what it's worth.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think that it is probably quite safe to go anywhere, after all, Al-QciaDa is suffering from an extended case of ED, and these supposed bomb blasts in Thailand have NOT hit the mainstream internet news sources.

Eat! Drink! Be Merry! For Tommorrow ... we go back to work.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It's not the terrorists you have to worry about, it's the native New Yorkers.
Seriously.........pickpockets, thieves, con men, you name it.
Just be careful, try not to look like a tourist and have fun.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
It's not the terrorists you have to worry about, it's the native New Yorkers.
Seriously.........pickpockets, thieves, con men, you name it.
Just be careful, try not to look like a tourist and have fun.

Just so you know..thieves, pick pockets and con men are not a big trait of New York City, for the population ratio its probably worse then other cities around the country. There will be pickpockets anywhere there is a gathering. Been to a state fair?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join