It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7+ bombs explode in Bangkok.. still ongoing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Reports are saying 7+ bombs have exploded around the city on bangkok in Thiland,

This coming as people are preparing for the NewYear,

12 people are said to have been hurt and theres reports on possile deaths, but that has so far not been confirmed,

news.sky.com...

[edit on 31-12-2006 by asala]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Reports are now confirming deaths now,

A bomb at a bus stop injured 15 people and 2 possible deaths from that,

No claim on who have done this,

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
crap. Reports of bombs really do hit you hard when it could have been you. Less than a fortnight ago I could have been on that death list.

11 seperate explosions in downtown Bangkok. 1 reported death so far.

Honestly, what kind of warped logic can think that setting off bombs can further an agenda?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Bangkok hit by series of blasts

At least 12 people have been hurt in a series of small bomb blasts in the Thai capital, Bangkok, police say.
The blasts took place within 90 minutes of each other, with the first one at the Victory Monument in the centre.

Further explosions were reported at two police posts in Bangkok's northern suburbs and in the Klong Tuey area.

Thailand's prime minister was ousted in a military coup in September while the country's south has seen a wave of attacks blamed on Muslim separatists.

Police are investigating suspicious packages found at another six locations in the capital, a police spokesman told the iTV television network.

The blasts took place in widely-dispersed locations in the late afternoon, as the Thai capital was preparing to celebrate the New Year.

The bomb outside the Victory Monument appeared to have caused the most injuries, police said.

According to the BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok, the explosions do not appear to have had a specific target.

A police spokesman told the BBC the blasts were being treated as an internal matter - implying that they did not suspect any link to Muslim insurgents in the south.

Our correspondent says many Thais suspect the bombs were the work of opponents of the current military government, which forced Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from office.

He says bombs are rare in the Thai capital and security is largely relaxed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
A man has just been arrested,

He was carrying a bomb, In North bangkok
More to come....

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The authorities are now considering ordering all public New Year celebrations to be cancelled.

Police do not believe foreign groups or militants from the Muslim south are to blame, says the BBC's Jonathan Head.

Our Bangkok correspondent says many Thais suspect the bombs were the work of opponents of the current military government, which forced Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from office in September.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thia TV are reporting that 4 Foreinger has been injured in another blast in Bangkok,

They are going to cancel there NewYears celbrations to try and assure no more get hurt

this is the 7th blast

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Gosh this is not good,Another 2 bombs have gone off,.

And there saying now 6 foreingers are hurt

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Why now and why Bangkok??
Peculiar choice of location.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There has been a little unrest due to the Goverment there, Not fully clued up on the changes but ive heard that thats where this problem may lay,

Ill try and find some info on that later unless someone else can look in to it,

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

There has been a little unrest due to the Goverment there, Not fully clued up on the changes but ive heard that thats where this problem may lay,

Ill try and find some info on that later unless someone else can look in to it,

Concise article here at wiki..en.wikipedia.org...

Understand now..Something else achieved before the end of 2006, can safely go pickle my brain!!
Have a good one Asala !!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well I'm not pointing any fingers but Thailand has had a muslim unrest problem in the South of increasing ferocity for some time now.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world today by the way and is sweeping through South East Asia.

The authorities (pre-coup) were not exactly dealing with this very well, shooting and killing a lot of young kids for even minor crimes.

The new regime since the coup is muslim led.

Just a little background.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

New Years eve ... high body count targets which are easy to get to. Bangkok has had many terrorist attacks in the past.

The place and the timing are not strange. In fact, I'd almost say they are expected.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Strange how this occurs just days after the Madrid bombings. Now is it 12,000 bombs, or 12 bombs that went off? I can't imagine 12,000 going off. That would take armies of people to pull off.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Strange how this occurs just days after the Madrid bombings. Now is it 12,000 bombs, or 12 bombs that went off? I can't imagine 12,000 going off. That would take armies of people to pull off.

and the bomb in turkey which has not really been reported alot,

was put in a restaurant from what i have heard in Ankara.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
The authorities (pre-coup) were not exactly dealing with this very well, shooting and killing a lot of young kids for even minor crimes.

The new regime since the coup is muslim led.

Just a little background.

With "shooting and killing a lot of young kids for even minor crimes" I suppose you're refering to the Thaksin "War on Drugs" running from February to December 2003. It killed about 3000 people, the official number, various NGOs set it at 3-5 times higher, and it killed indiscriminately young and old alike. The outcry from the international community over these extrajuristical killings was there, but it never made a clear break in international media however.

The only thing it changes was the distribution net and the prices. A general view on it is, that the hidden agenda was to break an underground economy controlled by local godfathers. Most likely it has, it is now controled by the police and their associates. A fact that makes the present situation likely to be police orchestrated.

That Thaksin could stay in power for 6 years, unprecidented in their 74 years of parlamentarism, has to do with the fact he probably was the first PM to have hundred procent control over the police force.

I don't think this has anything to do with religious or seperatist issues.

For further information on the insurgency and Thailand in general
www.abovetopsecret.com...

For the ongoing unrest in Bangkok
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

Peculiar choice of location.

I get the first one; New year.
I also get the first one; Radical muslims are there.

Politically; I don't get it. It's a very weird destination to do this, even with the history.

Saddam related? I don't believe so.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hi Khun Moon,

Can you please back up your statement made in another less populair thread that the US only gave Tsunami aid after the Thai naval base was given to US?

Thanks,

Alex

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
please contact the member by U2U and not on this thread, This is about the Bombings,

Thank you

Asala,

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
please contact the member by U2U and not on this thread, This is about the Bombings,

Thank you

Asala,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join