It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Reality Network to go Live 2007(Possible Hoax)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is going to be completely seperate from the net and is just for R&D purposes for now. The first consumer applications aren't expected until later on this decade.

Could this be the true Internet 2.0 we've all been hearing about?

Virtual reality to get its own network?

Neuronet, which is planned to be separate from the Internet, "will evolve into the world's first public network capable of meeting the data transmission requirements of emerging cinematic and immersive virtual-reality technologies," according to a Thursday announcement from the Vancouver-based International Association of Virtual Reality Technologies.

The first-generation Neuronet is scheduled to go live in 2007, the group said. Consumer applications are expected as early as 2009.

"The first-generation network is strictly an R&D network and will function as a sort of sandbox for virtual reality and gaming innovators around the world to develop new applications for a second generation network," IAVRT co-founder Chistopher Scully said in an e-mail. No services yet are signed up to use the network, he added.

This is going to have a huge impact next decade. I'd be looking to buy shares in companies with VR related IP now and hold on to them.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 31-12-2006 by sardion2000]

jra

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hold your horses... this may be a scam/hoax.

blog.rebang.com...

There’s a bit of press (hype?) making the rounds on something called Neuronet, a supposed plan for a fiber optic-based, virtual reality-centric network intended to be separate from what we now call the Internet. It would, according to the website, supposedly be “the first network designed from the ground up specifically for the transmission of real-time virtual reality data.” Considering that I’ve argued that the future of online Metaverse-style technology isn’t just 3D but a mashup of both 2D (websites) and 3D (virtual worlds), the exclusion of the current Internet rang alarm bells in my head. This doesn’t make sense to me, so I did a bit of digging.

The obvious first step was to take a look at their site… actually sites. The first thing I noticed is a lack of substance to not just some, but all of the claims. There’s plenty of handwaving, but nothing that I couldn’t make up and post in a fictitious site in a day or two. It is, as the saying goes, a lot of talk with nothing to show (except the pretty website itself).

There's also a discussion going on at slashdot.org here. slashdot.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Okay, thanks for the heads up. I have read about a Silicon Valley effort into something called "Grid Computing" and I just assumed this was that. Hope this isn't a hoax as it would be pretty pointless to do such a thing. Why lie about something a lot of nerds expect to come along soon anyway? To create buzz for something else? Ego masturbation? I just read the news.com article so I can't really say for sure. Will look into this further though.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The Deeper you dig into the company the more obvious a SCAM it is. They use Mail Boxes Etc., as their Corporate mailing address and are basically seeking to get rich quick by selling domain names in a non existent network. They are even trying to sell "membership" in the non existent network.

They also make very dubious claims about the technology they will use in their network.

top topics

join