It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What measures have you taken to ensure survival in situation X?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, and for the benefit of people hoping to act soon, how prepared are you, and what measures have you already taken to ensure a safe wait through a disastrous situation or post apocalyptic aftermath?

Now, I know some people may not want to reveal their hidden cache or organised militia group hideout for obvious reasons. A simple answer would do fine.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have supplies, like water and food. Along with other items like flashlights, radio, fire starters. And then I have the knowledge I need

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I recently installed a rain barrel and I hope to install another one in the near future as well as purchase a water barrel.

Other items I think would be useful are:

- a 2 qt. thermos to store hot water (from the grill) if the need arises.
- a sub-zero sleeping bag
- fuel tabs and a small camp stove which can be used indoors
- Brita pitcher, filters, clorox and water purification tablets

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Preparing for a sit x survival scenario involves far more than stocking up on food and water. The most important thing you can stock is your brain. Knowing what to do and when is paramount.

Everyone should know at the very least Basic first aid. Advanced first aid even better. I am a Certified Emergency Medical Tech although it is not my profession.

Water purification tablets are for short term use only. Long term use will make you sick. Better to get a Katadin Filter or similar if you feel the need to purify your water.

I avoid relying on electrical devices as they tend to fail when you need them most. I do have some electrical lighting, radios, etc., but they are secondary to the important things. Knowing how to start a fire without matches, and actually having put it to practice is far more valuable than a flashlight.

Everyone should have food set aside for emergencies. Even the govt. recommends a three months supply in the case of a bird flu pandemic. That is not an unreasonable amount if you plan well.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I've gone over my equipment and plans in detail in other threads so I wont bore you all with it here but I will say I am about 85% finished with being able to handle 90% of any disaster situation that may occur in my area.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I purchased the Army survival guide and I have my own notes which I put together from various sources.

Everyone should know at the very least Basic first aid. Advanced first aid even better. I am a Certified Emergency Medical Tech although it is not my profession.

Could you recommend a condensed First Aid manual?

[edit on 30-12-2006 by Siren]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Could you recommend a condensed First Aid manual?

I took a course from St. John's Ambulance several years back for first aid, and they gave me a fairly good first aid manual with that. It's around 150 pages or so but it has lots of diagrams and stuff.

www.sja.ca...

That has a list of 'kits' that they sell, for various situations, ex: burns, road safety, etc. Even if you don't buy the kits from those guys, they tell you exactly what is in them, so you will have an idea of what you might need but haven't thought of, yet.

To answer the original question... we've got a bit of food/water, flashlights, candles, oil lamps, bandages, that sort of thing. Probably not as much stuff as we should have, but still better than nothing.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have made note of what those that live close to me have and if for some reason they abandon ship well......

top topics

join