It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

faith-based experiences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
an open question to those of you on this board that believe you have had a faith-based experience

have you ever once thought that there may be an alternate explaination for your experience(s)?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yes. All the time. Constantly. I wouldn't say I doubt (because I do have faith (trust) and I do believe (although it seems i was born with that - i did not choose to believe or decide WHAT to believe...)

BUT I do trust enough to question relentlessly - and also I keep my eyes, ears, heart, and mind OPEN to all possibilities and do my best not to form attachments to any one certain idea of any single place/time.

The way I see it is this:

IF God is real (declining to define God other than 'creative force' and 'source of ALL') then certainly God can withstand any amount of human cross examination and will certainly stand up to the most rigorous of tests and scrutiny from one who is OPEN minded and not scornful, blind, opinionated, insecure, or delusional.

If God IS real then God will prove God to the soul.

The main issue, though, that I see in this day and age is that most people predefine, prejudge, and all other sorts of presumption and premptory damaging activities....religion is something I personally place NO faith or credence in as I see it as being the main evil in this world (as misused by human beings, that is).

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Oh yeah, Madness - what exactly do you mean (or consider to be) a 'faith-based experience?'

Just because I don't use that term nor do I really have a use for it - i don't really know what it means to say that. So I can't say if i have or have not had such an experience in the context you are intending.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
queenannie38, were you always nonreligious? Which being gave you the belief that religion is the main evil of the world? Do you think serial murderers (the most evil beings in history and presently) were and are religious?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
clarification was needed

a faith based experience would be and experience involving something that is religious, mystical, etc

something that is supposedly beyond humanity and this universe

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Do you think serial murderers (the most evil beings in history and presently) were and are religious?

wouldn't serial killers normally be classified as criminally insane?
insanity wouldn't be evil
it would be an inability to distinguish the two

evil is conciously and coherently doing something that you believe to be wrong

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
have you ever once thought that there may be an alternate explaination for your experience(s)?

As you have defined "faith-based", (thanks queen for the clarification request) I have had many experiences. Two of the ideas that I have faith in are that we are all connected and that there is life after death. I have had many experiences that (to me) indicate that these ideas are true.

Now, did I ever doubt them? Sure. As they happen and afterward. But I'm still convinced that they're true. The number of times along with the strength of the experiences leave very little doubt in my mind that we can communicate through the connection between us, both here on this plane of existence and beyond the trappings of this life.

The alternate explanation is that it could all be in my head -- Wishful thinking -- A coincidence (that's the least likely probability, as I believe coincidence is rare.)

So, yes, I have thought that there might be an alternate explanation. It's just not very likely in my mind.

Originally posted by GreatTech
queenannie38, were you always nonreligious?

This whole post is totally off-topic. Do you even have a response to the original post? Could you answer the question posed in the original post, please, before confronting other posters about their beliefs? Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
My answer right now is no. That would probably be why I would consider those experiences faith-based...because there was no other explanation. But, a still more precise definition would be nice.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
an open question to those of you on this board that believe you have had a faith-based experience

Yes, i had thought once that there may be an alternate explanation for my experiences. The only alternate explanation that made sense to me, was that i was nuts/crazy/insane/losing it/ etc....

I have answered your question honestly, and truthfully. I hope it is to your satisfaction.

Good Question!

Thanks,
john

top topics

join