It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovery of thread: "Roswell Proof: Where is it?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
A relatively long thread, over 20 pages long, entitled "Roswell Proof: Where is it?" was accidentally deleted. One member of ATS, nightwing, has requested assistance in recovering that thread and Springer has also expressed an interest in recovering it.

Eaglewingz and I have both tried to help, with partial success. However, more remains to be recovered.

This matter has, so far, been discussed in the "Fair Skeptic Registry" thread. However, that discussion risks detracting from the focus of thelibra's interesting thread about creating a registry of "fair skeptics". So, I thought it worth starting a separate thread for anyone with ideas on how to recover the lost thread.

I'll repost below the few (relatively short) posts from that thread which give the progress so far.

I think the easiest way to recover the remaining missing pages will be for members of ATS that have installed the Google Desktop tool to do a quick search for, say, "Roswell Proof Where" to see if their personal caches contain any of the missing pages.

When seeking to recover webpages, as opposed to pages from forums, I've found the archive.org website very helpful. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to assist on this occasion.

Kind Regards,

Isaac

[edit on 30-12-2006 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The posts from "The Fair Skeptic Registry" thread which indicate the progress so far in recovering the missing thread are reposted below.

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

Originally posted by eaglewingz
The "Roswell Proof: Where is it?" thread MAY be recoverable through Google cache. It's somewhat hit and miss, but here's a few pages:

Page 9
Page 11
Page 10
Page 20

[edit on 12/28/2006 by eaglewingz]

Although probably off-topic, given the interest shown in this subject by Springer (in addition to Nightwing), I hope no one will mind me posting links to a few more of the missing pages (with thanks to Nightwing for responding to my request by U2U yesterday to supply the relevant thread number to help search the cache).

Page 12

Page 13

Page 14 is at the web address below, although I can't seem to get the link working properly within ATS. You'll have to cut and paste the address (unless some kind moderator sorts out my linking problem...):
Page 14

Also, here is a link which gives access to 69 single posts. I have not checked to see if these single posts are all covered by the above pages. It is possible that some of the posts are from some of the missing pages.

Some single posts from the missing thread

Kind Regards,

Isaac Koi

[edit on 29-12-2006 by IsaacKoi]

I've found a few more pages (possibly incomplete) from the "Roswell Proof: Where is it?" thread within my personal cache.

If other members of ATS have run the Google Desktop tool (which is a very useful tool for searching your hard drive, including the contents of your documents and your web cache) then it is extremely likely that they can supplement the pages that have so far been found in the Google Cache and my personal cache.

I've uploaded the pages from my personal cache to Yousendit.com, so the links below will only be valid for the next 7 days.

To download the relevant webpages, click on the links below and then click on "Download Now":

Page 1

Page 15

Page 23

Kind Regards,

Isaac Koi

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
LOL, Perhaps ATS truly is working for the government as some here have proposed. That would make it clear as to why they "accidentally" deleted an entire thread about Alien contact. This isn't the first time ATS has "accidentally" deleted postings. Are they hiding something?? Hmm ... another conspiracy perhaps.

I will see what I can dig up to assist in the effort to shine the light into the darkest corners. Google is a good start. Kudos for the effort!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why didn't anyone tell me about this?

Looking into it now...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

and Springer has also expressed an interest in recovering it.

He just needed to express an interest in the right direction.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Woo Hoo The conspiracy vanishes! Great work Overlord!! Hmm .. Or was some important detail cleverly removed from the thread? We will never know ... the conspiracy continues LOL. Well, Thanks again for resurrecting Roswell!!

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thank you Isaac (and SO) for trying to recover parts of this terrific thread.

Central to this thread is the thread's originator - 'Access Denied' posts. Can they please be recovered as well?

Always,
Shawnna

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Only on the 7 pages in the Google cache and the 3 from IsaacKoi, I would think.

I've tried searching for the "single post" feature from AD's posts, but all of them appear to be from the ten pages already linked.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawnna
Thank you Isaac (and SO) for trying to recover parts of this terrific thread. Central to this thread is the thread's originator - 'Access Denied' posts. Can they please be recovered as well?

Hi Shawnna,

I wasn't trying to recover parts of the relevant thread - I was trying to recover it all. Eaglewingz and I (and SO) simply haven't been completely successful - yet...

If anyone is not satisfied with the material recovered by SO (supplemented by the material at the links provided by Eaglewingz and myself) then the only possibly that occurs to me for recovering "Access Denied" posts rests in the hands of members of ATS. I'll repeat the relevant comment from my original post in this thread:

I think the easiest way to recover the remaining missing pages will be for members of ATS that have installed the Google Desktop tool to do a quick search for, say, "Roswell Proof Where" to see if their personal caches contain any of the missing pages.

If my personal cache contained 3 of the additional missing pages (including the posts by Access Denied) then, assuming my cache is typical, only a few more ATS members need to download and/or use the Google Desktop tool to fill in the gaps.

The Google Desktop tool can be downloaded quickly and easily (and for free!) from the link below:
desktop.google.com...

In my opinion, the tool is worth downloading by members of ATS regardless of whether they intend to use it to help find the missing posts. It can even be used for searches completely unrelated to conspiracy theories. I've found it quite useful to find letters and telephone numbers that I stored on my computer last year, when I can't remembers the relevant directory or file name.

These days, it isn't always necessary to ask someone else to recover a deleted webpage for you. Various tools exist for recovering it yourself, including my favourite www.archive.org, plus (to a lessor extent) tools such as the Google Desktop tool.

Kind Regards,

Isaac

[edit on 30-12-2006 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawnna
Central to this thread is the thread's originator - 'Access Denied' posts. Can they please be recovered as well?

Unfortunately, no.

There was an, uh, "administrative error" where the wrong link was click, and all his posts removed... and thus, also the database markers for the threads he created.

Since I knew the "thread id" for this thread, I could rebuild the marker... but not his posts.

We looked at some of the backups, but it was going to be a monumental task recovering just one member's posts from a 3 gigabyte SQL backup.

Sorry.

top topics

join