It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO books!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you guys know any good UFO/Alien/Conpsiracy books. I've been searching over on Amazon, but I couldn't put my finger on any particular one. But I did see one that seemed interesting..Steven Greer's book Disclosure but thats kind of old. I was looking for something a little more current. Thank you for your time, anything will be of help. =)

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
UFO's and the National Security state-Richard M. Dolan

Fantastic compilation of Military and government documents of UFO interactions.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
by Timothy Goode is an old publication but a staple in any library. Not to mention it has a GREAT title.

Springer...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Well UFO's as most will tell you is a very deep and branching subject and lots of other paranormal activities/stories seem to intersect most ufo stories at some point, so deciding what to read depends an awful lot on what you find the most intriguing aspect of the phenomenananana.

As for a book being older, it doesn't neccesarily mean that it isn't a good book or informative book...and to be quite honest most ufo books simply contain rehashings of older cases most with "new evidence" which usually turns out to be just another unverifiable third hand account.

ANd of course every member who responds to this thread will most likely have a different book suggestion which will again emphasize the diversity of the field and equally diverse approaches people take toward the subject.

Anyhoo, long babble short I'll tick off my favorite book which is Ivan T. Sanderson's "Invisible Residents" which again isn't a perfect book but pretty good...and pretty old.

Amazon has copies and I think it has recently been reprinted so it shouldn't be hard to track down.

Jacque Valles "Passport to Magonia" is another one that I liked.

I also enjoy most things George Knapp writes. Not that i agree with all of his conclusions but he seems sincere to me, so I give him credit for that.

Also don't dismiss magazines and of course take most things you read in them with a grain of salt but NEXUS is a good publication as is FORTEAN TIMES.

Old out of print magazines are also good sources if you can find them like ARGOSY and of course Mark Chorvinsky's (RIP) STRANGE magazine which really did try to approach all things strange with a good deal of object skepticism.

Good luck and good hunting.

Also ATS threads can lead you to lots of good reading material, just peruse the subjects and youre sure to find something.

SPiderj

Edit to add: Nice Springer, I forgot about "Above Top Secret" and that is a goodin, but I would like to add (IMO of course) that sticking with Timothy's older, less biased work is the best way to go...just sayin'...

[edit on 12/30/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Jacques Vallee in my opinion is the most interesting and scientific commentator on the UFO phenomenon. His book "Revelations" was a revelation to me. Also check out Jim Marrs.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
UFO's and the National Security state-Richard M. Dolan

Fantastic compilation of Military and government documents of UFO interactions.

seconded

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Lt. Phillip Corso's "The Day After Roswell" is really good. I enjoyed reading about the Corso's explanation of the implementation of extraterrestrial technology over the past 50 years.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The Stargate Conspiracy by Lynn Picknett & Clive Prince is a MUST read for anyone interested in this field.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Definitely going to agree with any of Goode's books, especially our site's namesake...

Also, anything by Friedmann.

Corso's book is interesting, but there's a lot of ego-stroking, and one has to remember that his accounts of Roswell are second-hand. His first-hand accounts are with the alleged debris only.

There are so many good ones out there, hard to know where to begin.

Anything by Ruppelt and Hynek are good too, as they were both on the other side of the UFO phenomenon for a time (i.e. contracted debunkers).

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
For a comprehensive overview of the field, I recommend:

UFOs and UFOlogy: The First 50 Years
by Paul Devereux and Peter Brookesmith

Published by Blandford, London, U.K.
1997 (hardback) and 1998 (paperback)

ISBN 0-7137-2725-X

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I thought "Alien Agenda"by Jim Marrs was a good read.It covered alot of the more famous ufo encounters.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thanks guys! Looks like I have alot of reading to do =)...I really appreciate all your suggestions. thanks again!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Need to Know: UFOs, the Military, and Intelligence - Timothy Good.

Tracks ufo history through the early ages right up until present day.

I know a lot about the roswells and early ufo cases so i read the book backwards
starting from 2006 ( guess i was reverse engineering the book)..

I recommend as a very very good read.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have several good UFO books on my shelf now and I got 'Disclosure' only today. Everyone should be shown this book.

Also I recommend a firsthand account of Rendlesham Forest incident - 'Left at Eastgate' by Larry Warren & Peter Robbins.

Both can be found on Amazon and they are decent sized books.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Is there any best all around book a few people can agree on?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Is there any best all around book a few people can agree on?

I think many of the books mentioned try their best to give a fairly encompassing look at many aspects of the phenomenon. At least as much as they can fit into 300-500 pages without breezing through any particular section too quickly!

Here is some recommended reading by a scientist with an interest in the subject..

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There are a number of books I believe are sensitive to the subject of UFOs, EBEs and the like. But one I often reference as it seems thoroughly researched for the most part is called 'UFO The Government Files', BrookeSmith, 1996. There are two parts to it, one being the researchers side and the other being the skeptical side. It's a great book in the sense in compiles alot such as the Krill Papers and Lear.txt, etc.

Dallas

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeetroyman
Need to Know: UFOs, the Military, and Intelligence - Timothy Good.

Tracks ufo history through the early ages right up until present day.

I know a lot about the roswells and early ufo cases so i read the book backwards
starting from 2006 ( guess i was reverse engineering the book)..

I recommend as a very very good read.

It is a good book, and I would recommend it - but only if you haven't already got Above Top Secret - otherwise you could be disappointed to find yourself reading much of the same stuff rehashed.

It would have added a great deal to Timothy Good's credibility, if a little less to his wallet, to have written a shorter book containing the more recent material and leaving out some of the old.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
These aren't recent books but should be considered essential reading.
Best to start with a good foundation.

Flying Saucers: The Startling Evidence of The Invasion From Outer Space
-Coral E. Lorenzen

The UFO Conspiracy- Jenny Randles

Conspiracy of Silence- Kevin Randle

Out There- Howard Blum

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"Keepers of the Garden" by Dolores Cannon along with "The Custodians"

"IN LEAGUE WITH A UFO" BY Lou Baldwin

"STAR ANCESTORS" by NANCY REDSTAR

"OTHER WORLDS OTHER LIVES" BY BRAD STEIGER