It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did/Does the Bible Make You a Believer in God or an Atheist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
For me, it did/does neither. It does, however, support my belief in God with the works performed by many greatly inspired people.

The theophany I experienced 11 years ago revealed to me the Existence, Greatness, and Power of God. After my theophany, God instructed me a year later to read the entire Bible, which I did. Currently, He instructs me to read parts of the Bible each morning. It starts my day well and assists me in getting in tune with God's thoughts for the day.

I am so grateful that there are so many other believers in God in the world as many of them give me much appreciated inspiration. I would hate to be the only believer in the world with all the great help I have had from others.

God Bless!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
before the first time i read it i was a firm believer in jesus and thought the bible to be an infallible text

when i was done reading it i was an agnostic
i looked around at the religions
ended up an atheist

then i decided to give religion a second go
i re-read the bible
and it made me more of an atheist

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
before the first time i read it i was a firm believer in jesus and thought the bible to be an infallible text

when i was done reading it i was an agnostic
i looked around at the religions
ended up an atheist

then i decided to give religion a second go
i re-read the bible
and it made me more of an atheist

When you first were a believer, if you believed that the Bible was not an infallible text and read it, would this have stopped you from being an atheist? I believe one can be a believer in God without believing any part of the Bible. I believe that our thought patterns dictate more than anything whether or not that we are a believer. Your thought pattern is much different than mine.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
well, i didn't believe it was infallible in the literal interpretation
i used a very liberal interpretation

but i found that the bible was mostly BS
so i became an agnostic until i figured out that i was an atheist by instinct

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It made me believe in God more.
An atheist has a closed mind and is unwilling to believe in the possible. Atheists are only concerned in being god not being with God.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I can sit here with confidence and tell you,Great Tech, that even without the bible, I'd still believe in a deity. There is a difference between believing and knowing. I am beyond the belief stage,as far as God is concerned,I know that there is a God.

I suspect that's why atheistic arguments do not effect me in the slightest. If they choose not to believe, that is their choice. It doesn't change what I know to be true.

Of course, a logical question would be, "Well, how do I know that there is a God?" I can tell you that it is not any one specific thing that leads me to this conclusion. I have had experiences that I dare not speak of because it would break my promise to God not to express it. Let's just say that if you so desire to see God, you will.
There is no book that is any more proof than direct experience.

So, to answer your question, it doesn't sway me one way or the other. For once one knows, there is no longer any need for exterior proof.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
An atheist has a closed mind and is unwilling to believe in the possible. Atheists are only concerned in being god not being with God.

that's straight up bigotry
just because i don't believe in a deity or some sort of higher power doesn't mean i'm some sort of self-deifying, closed-minded jerk

i approached the existence of some sort of higher power with an open mind, but i came to the conclusion that it didn't exist

so don't act like you know how i am

and speaker, what a coincidence, just like you know there is a god, i know that there are no gods
not a single one

[edit on 12/30/06 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

and speaker, what a coincidence, just like you know there is a god, i know that there are no gods
not a single one

[edit on 12/30/06 by madnessinmysoul]

Madness, the difference is that I have had experiences that state to me that there is indeed a God. What experiences have you had that state that there is not? I don't intend to argue on this because what you believe is your choice. I am just pointing out a differentiation there.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
speaker, i doubt your experiences
not because i'm questioning your reliability
but they are subjective

speaker, did you ever think that there was something else, non-spiritual in those experiences?

or did you immediately say: that was god

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

speaker, i doubt your experiences
not because i'm questioning your reliability
but they are subjective

Well, given the fact that we cannot be absolutely certain of anything, you could doubt anything.. There are times when I doubt that we even truly exist. How can anyone know that this is not just an elaborate dream? We can't, at least not with any degree of certainty.

So, I mean, you are well within your right to doubt my experience, your experience, and everyone else's experience.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I can take that one step further. If one is to assume that we can't be sure of anything with any degree of certainty, then it can be argued that I just negated my argument that "I know God exists." That's true, I did.

However, in the context that things seem to be what they are, then I am well within my right to "know" whatever I choose.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
speaker, but the question remains, did you immediately believe that your experience was one of god, or did you look to some other alternative explaination?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I can sit here with confidence and tell you,Great Tech, that even without the bible, I'd still believe in a deity. There is a difference between believing and knowing. I am beyond the belief stage,as far as God is concerned,I know that there is a God.

I suspect that's why atheistic arguments do not effect me in the slightest. If they choose not to believe, that is their choice. It doesn't change what I know to be true.

Of course, a logical question would be, "Well, how do I know that there is a God?" I can tell you that it is not any one specific thing that leads me to this conclusion. I have had experiences that I dare not speak of because it would break my promise to God not to express it. Let's just say that if you so desire to see God, you will.
There is no book that is any more proof than direct experience.

So, to answer your question, it doesn't sway me one way or the other. For once one knows, there is no longer any need for exterior proof.

SpeakerofTruth, very well said. My experience is very similar to yours. I, too, am beyond the Belief stage; my personal experiences in the last 11 years have created the wonderful situation of Knowing God Exists.

The Bible is an excellent supplement where I can learn from others' faith-based experiences.

Pray for me as I pray for you and all.

God Bless!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

speaker, but the question remains, did you immediately believe that your experience was one of god, or did you look to some other alternative explaination?

Madness, your question is not an unwarranted one. However, when one sees something happen right in front of them, and it is outwardly expressed what is occurring,what need is there to look for an alternative explanation? You see, what happen to me was very real. I wasn't in any meditative state or drug induced state. I was very alert and very awake when I had my experience.

I am not going to go into any detail about what happened to me, but let me just state that it was something so profound that I found it difficult to sleep for a period of about 3 months. The magnitude of it hit me like a ton of bricks. Yeah,I'd always "believed" in a God before the experience, but I had some doubts. After my experience, all doubt was removed.

Madness, I hope that one day you too will experience something that will remove all doubt. I sense a very good person indeed when I read your posts.

However,I know that you follow your own path and I applaud you for that because that is the only true path to wisdom. Regardless of whether you believe in God, let me just impart this to you,Madness. Where ever you are in life or philosophy, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I was already an atheist prior to actually reading the Bible. After I really read the Bible (unlike some Christians who profess they did) that really confirmed it for me. It confirmed that most of religion is bunk and written for the superstitious mind of yesteryear.
How in this age of understanding and great scientific discovery can one really read the bible and still think it contains the truth is beyond my comprehension.:bnghd:

Now, I'm agnostic in the sense that I believe that they are of course superior beings out there in the multitude of universes that we don't know about. And yes, these superior beings would appear to be 'gods' to us depending on their level of technical advancement. But this isn't proof that there is a loving, all knowing god here in our heavens on earth. And it doesn't mean that there is a heaven and hell and all the other nonsense that men have written in the bible.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by Dhante]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   

that's straight up bigotry
just because i don't believe in a deity or some sort of higher power doesn't mean i'm some sort of self-deifying, closed-minded jerk

I didn't say that, so please don't twist my words okay?

I said

An atheist has a closed mind and is unwilling to believe in the possible

Meaning, when it comes to religion, they are unwilling to believe in the possible. Yet, you have decided that it was "hate statement" against you. Which it wasn't.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

An atheist has a closed mind and is unwilling to believe in the possible

Meaning, when it comes to religion, they are unwilling to believe in the possible. Yet, you have decided that it was "hate statement" against you. Which it wasn't.

LOL so the fact that atheists have decided that deities are non existant they are unwilling to believe in the possible - possible meaning a god of some sorts, yes??? Well that would be impossible to atheists so your statement is wrong. Also on the closed mind thing I find atheists to usually have a very open mind and religionites to be close minded as they have already decided what is the 'truth'.

Originally posted by GreatTech
I believe one can be a believer in God without believing any part of the Bible.
I also believe that you dont need the bible (or any religious text) to believe in a deity, and that you dont need to go to a church etc. However I also believe that you dont need a deity at all to live a good moral and ethical life therefore negating the need for a deities existance.

G

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

It made me believe in God more.

I know that you have been quoted, but I just have to give my beliefs since I'm an atheist.

I have believed in ghosts, the paranormal and UFO's; yet and I'm a non-believer now. I am now only conserned with believing in me; the being; it might have something to do with the fact that I am studying molechular biology at the university, but...

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I mostly believed in Christianity until I read the Christian Bible and attended Christian churches regularly. After reading the Bible, I became an atheist for a while. Now I have come to a place where I believe in "God" but not the Christian God.

At this point I am more spiritual than I have ever been in my life.

Oddly enough, by Christian standards, I would probably still be considered a atheist.

edited for spelling

[edit on 1/1/07 by wellwhatnow]

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wellwhatnow,by current "christians" standards, I'd probably be considered a "heretic." While I believe in God and Jesus Christ, many of my other beliefs don't exactly jive with accepted doctrine.

[edit on 1-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

<<   2 >>

join