It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam To Be Executed At Dawn Tommrw

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
Is executing him on the Holiest day of the Haj (or during the Haj at all) really a good idea? Is this going to usher in the 'year of peace' the US admin has spoken of 2007 as being?

won't this actually anger muslims everywhere?

Why is this being so rushed anyway?

Couldn't they at least take the christmas decorations down before executing someone (goodwill n all that?)

Because this is like a Hollywood script. C'mon, give Shrub this one, he hasn't had one for a while. He's freed Iraq from a terrorist, to his own people. He killed 10's, hundreds of thousands, of his own people. Saddam was a mennace, to his own people. This will be a great day to Shrub's backers, HIS own people. Too bad it won't do dick for the people of Iraq. :shk:

And is showing the execution on mass TV really a bad idea? Are we going back to public executions now?

Matter of time imo. Can you say Pay per View?

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Is executing him on the Holiest day of the Haj (or during the Haj at all) really a good idea? Is this going to usher in the 'year of peace' the US admin has spoken of 2007 as being?

Of course, because this is supposedly the "gift to the Iraqi people on the most holiest of days." I can't remember where I saw that quote today from an Iraqi official, but they are willing to break one of their still fledgling laws, and serve out an execution on a holy day. What a lovely thing for the US and other "allies" to support... breaking a law of this early "democracy" to show what has changed and what a now perfect government they have.

May Saddam's family find peace in the time of his death, and peace with the hypocracy of the country that is already in shambles and already undermining it's own laws. :shk:

*Edit to add: Agreed Intrepid, let's just hope the Shrub has better luck with his popcorn than he does with hot dogs.

[edit on 12/29/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just announced. Saddam to die at 10:00 PM EST..

An adviser to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Saddam would be executed before 6 a.m. Saturday, or 10 p.m. Friday EST. Also to be hanged at that time were Saddam's half-brother Barzan Ibrahim and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, the former chief justice of the Revolutionary Court, the adviser said.

Source

Edit: Shortened link.

[edit on 29-12-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

won't this actually anger muslims everywhere?

Why is this being so rushed anyway?

Couldn't they at least take the christmas decorations down before executing someone (goodwill n all that?)

And is showing the execution on mass TV really a bad idea? Are we going back to public executions now?

Iraq's government is making this decision not the US. They tried him and convicted him. They decide when to execute him, not the US.

I don't see any conspiracy happening here since Iraqis were all too happy to see his sons dead...faking his death serves no purpose; he wasn't a "cult of personality" kind of guy, he was just ruthless and scared people. Saddam sounds like he lived in a delusion anyway, with his Nazi loyalties and pictures of dragons and half naked maidens in his love palaces.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Iraq's government is making this decision not the US. They tried him and convicted him. They decide when to execute him, not the US.

Actually, not quite true...from the link above I posted.

The time was agreed upon during a meeting Friday between U.S. and Iraqi officials, said the adviser, who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

apnews.myway.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Whoo hoo. I can't wait. Then this horrible nightmare of a war will be over. Oh wait we realy didnt want Sadam did we? Thats why we are ignoring the geniva convention and handing him over to the iraqis... Dang I thought we could bring the boys back home...

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I fail to see the good in executing Saddam, his powers have been taken away and his children have been killed - what would it serve to kill Saddam?

A new dawn for Iraq marked with a brutal medieval style execution

Interesting points other posters have raised! When searching on this subject matter i found
this interesting web page. Its a discussion written by Christie Davies, who is ordinarily an opponent of capital punishment but believes that it is right for Saddam to be executed.

He has to be executed for the same reason as Charles I, namely that he is a rallying point for further civil war.
www.socialaffairsunit.org.uk...

Is it right for a government to execute one of its own citizens? IMHO no.

Why does he have to be hanged instead of receiving a lethal injection?

[edit on 29-12-2006 by freeradical]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Actually, not quite true...from the link above I posted.

The time was agreed upon during a meeting Friday between U.S. and Iraqi officials, said the adviser, who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

apnews.myway.com...

I guarantee you that Iraq is making the call on this...not the US. They are consulting with the US so that 1) the US hands over Saddam from US custody on time 2) the US forces are aware of violence/celebrations that will follow.

Unless the US forces don't agree with the ability to provide security at the scheduled time, then I don't see anyone stopping this.

[edit on 29/12/06 by Atomic]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical
I fail to see the good in executing Saddam, his powers have been taken away and his children have been killed - what would it serve to kill Saddam?

A new dawn for Iraq marked with a brutal medieval style execution

Obviously, you dont know what the word justice means.

Before you people bitch about execution being "inhumane" or "breach of human rights" or "even if he deserves it, its wrong to violate his human rights" garbage etc. Just remember that any kind of suffering could be considered inhumane, including keeping a brutal murderer alive in a prison cell for the rest of his life.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Saying on the way to the gallows, US special op's team will switch the real saddam with a drugged look a like to hang instead and remove the real one to safety.

If he is placid just before his hanging you know it's a fake, for the real Saddam would be yelling out rehtoric to secure his place as a matyr for his people when he dies, dont you think?

The Yanks, will take him away and bring him back on to the scene in a year or two to make it look like he has risen from the dead (yeah, I know the idea is twisted) but this they hope will reinforce the Iraqi peoples support of him, and the Yanks want to force an armaegeddon scenario with him as the baddy.

Im glad you know how it really would be happening if it really were the real Saddam. Like you really know Saddam and how people act when near death or why or what an evil government would actually do with the "real" saddam.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
bob2000

Hey i'm sure the whole world and her dog won't miss him! Its my personal opinion to which i am entitled to is that capital punishment is like fighting fire with fire and in this case the Iraq government is setting the example that's its OK to kill someone, not a bedrock principle of a progressive society - again IMHO.

Oh and this ones going to be a hanging, and you can all bring your rotten vegetables to throw at his twitching body - that bit was made up.

[edit on 29-12-2006 by freeradical]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
they will make make a martyr out of him
by murdering him on Eid one of the holiest month
it sounds and looks like they are making a martyr out of him and he most likely knows that as he said he is being sacrficed for the Iraqi people

also there are alot of religous things that will bennifit him which i wont go into by killing him on this day

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bob2000
Killing saddam Hussein=justice

Justice for who?

justice=good

Can't argue with that.

enforcing justice=civilized

Oh, I've got a BIG problem with that. WHO decides what justice is?

One Look: Justice:

# noun: the administration of law; the act of determining rights and assigning rewards or punishments.

Well, now there is a NEW law. Can a person be assigned rewards or punishments under a NEW law? What about past laws?

Again I ask, WHO decides?

Am I a Saddam supporter? Hell no. I'm also not a supporter of those that INVADE a soveriegn nation and attempt to usurp their wat of life.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
According to the BBC :

Several reports quoted senior Iraqi officials as saying the execution would take place at 0600 local time (0300 GMT) on Saturday.

For anyone living in Ontario, or New York, and south from there, that would be 10 PM Friday night. ... thats only an hour away!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Now that Saddam's death is imminent,I just have to wonder who is the next 'Bad Guy' we set our sights on?

Kim Jong-Il seems to be the no brainer here,but who else can we all of a sudden turn our focus on?

It seems like for the last 70 years or so,the USA has allways had to have someone that we could say 'watch out for the boogeyman'.(Hitler,Stalin,Khrushchev,Castro,Ho Chi Minh,Idi Amin ect ect ect)

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
They want to execute him on that holy day as a 'gift to the Iraqi people'.

Why in the world after all that has happened to them a gift would be executing Saddam? A gift would be to make it at least as livable as it was while he was running things!

A gift....

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Of course, because this is supposedly the "gift to the Iraqi people on the most holiest of days." I can't remember where I saw that quote today from an Iraqi official, but they are willing to break one of their still fledgling laws, and serve out an execution on a holy day. What a lovely thing for the US and other "allies" to support... breaking a law of this early "democracy" to show what has changed and what a now perfect government they have.

read:

“According to the law, no execution can be carried out during the holidays” said one official involved in the negotiations. “After all the hard work we have done, why would we break the law and ruin what we have built.”

The Muslim holiday of Eid begins Saturday for Sunnis, which is Mr. Hussein’s sect, and Sunday for Shiites, who where oppressed under Mr. Hussein’s rule but now control the government.

Iraqi law seems to indicate that executions are forbidden on the holiday.

Mr. Haddad was dismissive of those concerns, injecting some of the sectarian split that is ripping this country apart into his response to a question on the subject.

“Tomorrow is not Eid,” he said. “The official Eid in Iraq is Sunday.”

source

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Why does he have to be hanged instead of receiving a lethal injection?

Because we give our sickly and dying pets a lethal injection to be nice to them, to end their suffering in the most humane way possible. The man is not a nice person to say the least, so why should he be afforded such an easy ticket out? Truth be known gassing him with some of his own gear would proabably be the most fitting way to off him, but we all know that just wouldnt fly with the way some people revere him...

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
i hope none of you people call yourselves christians.

must we shout for this man's blood? in the teachings of christ, it is said to repay injury with kindness. all i see are barbarians.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Looks like he is dead...CNN cant confirm it,but some news is comming out that he has been hanged.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join