It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reasons for firearms

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Guns do work for self defence, and for hunting but eventualy you run out ammo. I am not saying people shouldn't own fire arms for self defence, or recreational hunting, I just don't think people should rely on thier weapons. What do you do when you run out of bullets, ask the criminal if he has any extra, or ask that big buck that could feed your family for another week to simply role over and gut it's self? I also find that by occasion a gun can make things worst. imagine for a second ten peopl try breaking into your house for your supplies, you draw your weapon to even out the odds. then all ten of them draw weapons, things can get real ugly real fast.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
ok first yes guns are deadly(that is what they were made for) and needed to defend oneself. but they should only be used by responsible people who know how to properly use them. do they attract attention? sure. but if you carry one concealed how is that attracting attention? most people( i would believe) who are injured or killed by guns are victims of criminals, drunk or just morons. how do you shoot yourself cleaning a gun? it HAS to be unloaded to clean it. so if you were just wiping it down and shot yourself you are a moron and asked for it.
now i am a gun nut(i've probably forgotten 99% more about guns than most people have ever known) does this make me a psycho or want to commits crimes with one? NO. my guns are for protection, hunting and collecting. firearms are a very good investment-kept in good shape and depending on the gun they only go up in value.
i carry a s&w 457 almost always. i live in the so called "honeymoon capital of the world" (poconos pa) and it is bad around here. the drugs and hoodlums coming in from nyc is attrocious. because of this hyped image of the area crimes are pretty much kept hushed hushed. i know for a fact after being a fireman here for years and having many friends who are cops that there are at least 20 suspected crackhouses in my town. and that is only 2 square miles!!! everyday there is an armed robbery or a shooting that doesn't get reported to us common folk because of the image they give to the world.
do i feel safe and get a hard on from carrying a pistol? no i don't- but i do feel SAFER. i would not hesitate to drop someone if they were threatening me or an innocent person with a weapon and/or intent to do bodily harm.
and in answer to the question- do you wound them or kill them? you kill them. that way they can't have testimony in court. but to legally shoot someone you must tell them to "cease and desist" after you pull a gun and give them a chance to do just that.
plus i love to hunt. i prefer a bow (it"s more challengingand
the weather is nicer) but if i have to go out in rifle and shoot some deer i will. i prefer venison anyway- tastes better and is healthier. bird hunting is agreat and challenging sport also.
people who are uneducated about guns are the people who are scary. guns don't kill people -people do. a law abiding citizen will not commit a crime just because they have one- it's the criminals who do.anything can be a weapon for god's sake. i could stab some one in the neck with a pencil and kill them but does that make pencils evil and illegal to carry? maybe we should outlaw cars and stairs since theycause so many deaths and injuries? no. keep the guns out of the guns out of the criminals hands and make them wonder if they might be shot in turn will make them think twice. also as has been said it is the 2nd amendment that says it is our right to bear arms. this is to keep the govt from throwing tyranny on US-which the are currently doing. no country would ever dare invade the us because if they did our military would at LEAST triple instantly. remember one of the first things hitler did was take away guns and looked what happened.
also to answer the question about silencers- a plastic bottle and duct tape will not silence it. it will muffle it a bit depending on the cartridge being fired(esp. a .22 since it only has a small crack anyway). in order to silence a gun you have to use subsonic ammo because no matter what when that bullet reaches 800 mph it WILL break the sound barrier.you can't silence that. and the seagal movie you were talking about- marked for death- if they reloaded to subsonic then yes it would work. but the ammo he used was .308 win which moves at about 2400 fps so no way to silence that. sonic booms get exponentionallylouder each time the barrier is crossed. also you ahve to be careful if you do reload to subsonic because it may not have enough force to push the bullet out of the barrel and hence the action could blow up in your face

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
sorry meant 800 fps lol

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I own a firearm .44mag S&W 6" I would have a CCW, but my line of work requires me to travel/live places where i am not in my state of residence hence i can not legally 'carry'. But if i could...i most certainly would. Not 100% of the time as that is decided based on where you live or do business. Certainly, a firearm puts a home/property/loved ones/one-selfs defense at an advantage given the willingness to portray and execute skilled use of that firearm. You can denounce the capability of a firearm to guarentee safety, yet it is more effective than a bladed or blunt weapon. Safety, is a fragile balance we all adhere to, or try to anyway. Nothing is absolutely safe there are only varying degrees of it.

Many have made valid and noteworthy points concerning the OP. In that light under the topic of Survival i certainly will include a firearm in my survival 'loadout' It is easier to kill with a firearm with the increased distance to target, they allow both for hunting and personal protection. Certainly a pistol isn't ideal for hunting, but certainly works as a great detterent and threat stopper when it comes to 2 legged adversaries. Weight considerations as well compared to a long-gun/ammo. Comparitively bow/pistol range is similar and i'd rather have the pistol.

If sitX occurs the first thing i'll strap to my body is my gun. There will be no 'normal' order and initially, until i can seperate myself from the 'chaos', a firearm is my surest way of survival if i encounter confrontation.

To all the nay-sayers of firearms. remember, firearms for survival is where we're at, not your backyard, the mall, or local gas station.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Why Am I Armed?

My grandfather once said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin’.”

I don’t carry a gun to kill I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin’.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join