It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reasons for firearms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've noticed there are those of you on here who are adamantly apposed to carrying firearms. I salute you for making that decision.

What irritates me thow is the constant defending I must do because I chose to carry. To carry or Not to carry and use is a very personal matter that needs to be thought out in a very rational way.

Several of you have made good points on the good and the bad of Firearms in the sit X survival situation, so this is what I would like.

I would like a true discussion done in a civilized manner on why you have made the decision to carry or not to carry.

Remember the right decision for you may not be right for all. So don't put down people for there decision or try to change there minds just explain why you yourself have made your decision

CX

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't carry because i live in the UK so i can't.

I don't live in a place where there is really any reason to carry anyway, in the 34 years i've been here i've never seen a need for one. That said i would dearly love to hunt, but again i can't where i am.

Given the choice though, i'm not sure how i'd feel about carrying a firearm as a civilian in an area that does'nt really need one. I know i'd feel very uneasy about some of the people i know having a firearm, they'd only have to get drunk and all hell would break loose if an arguement ensued!

If we are talking about a survival situation though, given the choice of course i'd want to have a firearm. Would save a lot of hassle hunting for decent food.

CX.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't carry a firearm in the woods because i opt to take other things instead. i pack very ligt so i don't see where i have room for fire arm and sufficent ammunition. I opt to take some snare wire, fishing line, and hooks. these are all things that I know I can replace in a pintch. I think a fire arm is an excellent tol for hunting and what not, but I pesonally prefer to keep my options open instead of relying on somthing in particular.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
this is sort of somthing i ment to say with my last reply but forgot to say, by no means am I apposed to guns, I am a recerational hunter, competitive shooter, and I have even done gunwrangling on a TV show set. I have no problems with guns I just don't feel they are the best thing in a survival situation.

[edit on 29/12/06 by The_Smokeing_Gun]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I also live in the UK and never used to worry about guns... I guess growing up without guns being around me i never had the urge or need to get one. I always felt that our gun laws worked and that although guns are cool in films i wouldnt like to see them for "over-the-counter" sale.

But as crime gets worse and people who defend themselves are punished and crimnals given light sentences im starting to wonder if its nothing more than control.

We are the most monitored nation on earth and the government is bringing in more and more regulations like biometric ID's, finger scanners at airports, car trackers, speed cameras, they even wanna put micro chips in our dustbins (trash cans)!!!

And there reason for doing this, so they say, is because of high crime and terrorism!

Unyet if a guy breaks into my house at night and i hit him with the machette i keep under the bed i get arrested!?!?! If my wife gets abused at a bus stop by a gang of youths and i give one a slap... i get arrested!?!?!
Trust me... i know from first hand experiance!!!

I think the government wants us to be scared cos then we except all the crap rules and regulations they bring in... they take away our means of defence so that we become reliant on them for our very existance... Hmmm... sorry for going on a bit... ill shut up and get to the point

I dont carry a gun because it is not legal... would i want to? YES!

If they legalised it i would have a fully secured arsenal of weapons for self protection and survival situations.

I am not a nut job looking to take out anyone who looks bad... i just wanna be prepared for all situations, but i am not allowed.

Just my 2 bobs worth

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Personally I believe in the individuals’ right to decide to carry or not to carry. It is a personal decision that should not be taken lightly; there are plenty of good arguments for both sides. I believe that it is every persons right to be able to defend him or herself and firearms are just one way to do that. Whether it's a machete under the bed or a .40 under my pillow the purpose is the same, it's my decision on how I should be able to protect myself (just do this doesn't get taken out of context I am not promoting the individual use of nuclear weapons) and no government or governments should make that decision for me. The only reason governments take away those liberties is because they are scared of the people, let’s try and remember that we the people make the government and thus should be able to control it.

Personally I choose to own firearms for the following reasons, however that doesn't mean that I always carry them or feel that I always need them but I would rather have them than not have them.

Defense of my home and family

I work very hard for what I have and I love my family I am going to do whatever it takes to protect those interests. If someone breaks into my house I want to be ready, If someone tries to grab one of my kids I want to be ready and much more importantly teach them to be prepared. If I am hiking in the mountains and run across a large bear I want to be able to take that bear out if necessary. To this date I have pulled on several bears and 1 person bent on car jacking me, fortunately I have not had to shoot a bear because of my common sense and the car jacker very quickly decide against it when staring down the cold steel barrel.

Hunting as a means of food procurement

Hunting which to me also includes fishing is a method of food procurement. I believe it is a necessary skill that everyone should know. Now whether you are hunting with a bow, a snare, a fishing pole, or a gun, the bottom line is the same you need a method to feed yourself and your family. The answer isn't just a bow, or a pole, or a knife, the answer is that each method of hunting has its place and in a survival situation a gun is nice to have. Just because you have it doesn't mean you will need to use it.

Investment

Guns are a great investment and if purchased properly and taken care of will always be a valuable TANGIBLE asset.

Sport

Shooting is a great sport that challenges you on many different levels.

Lastly as protection of my basic rights and freedoms that the world seems to keep taking away one by one and enslaving us to their financial systems.

My two cents.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hi Angry, I think the problem with the attitude to weapons and survival is that they may or not be an asset to your survival. What type of survival are you talking about, you cannot take guns onto a plane, if you survived a plane crash you would not have them. You would have to rely on your knowledge to survive. And if we faced a real catastophy say a global one do you think weapons would be required, when faced with disaster mans normal instinct is to help those who require it as witnessed on many occasions.
I think the context in which you may see the use in weapons is where you are in open conflict with others, there is no other situation where you would need to have or use firearms. I think that many who do have them do so because they assume some form of internal conflict where one would have to protect themselves and their loved ones. Having firearms may provide a feeling of safety and security but in reality it does not, you as an American have a right to bear arms but has that right made those who carry them any safer, no it has not, many Americans who have guns have died because of murder, robbery, drugs etc, it did not and does not protect them/you from harm.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm not wishing to start the next great gun debate but I wonder how many victims of rape, murder, robbery etc wish they had been carrying when they were victimized. A gun is not always the answer as it is not the ultimate answer in a survival situation but it is an equalizer for those that may not meet the skills or strength of the attaker. A firearm is simply a tool that depends upon the abilities of the person using it. If you choose not to carry a firearm you should at least be able to protect or ward of an attack through some other means.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by photobug
I'm not wishing to start the next great gun debate

Nor Do I just a reminder folks the purpose of this thread is to tell your reasons why or why not to carry. This thread is not to try and change somebodys mind, or debate the right and wrong of it.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I don't carry a gun simply because I don't feel as though I'm in a situation where somebody will attack me. I own a few guns but I don't keep anything loaded because I have a temper and I like to drink. If I lived in an area where I thought my lethal hands and feet weren't enough to protect myself, I'll carry a pistol. The decision really boils down to whether you feel like you'll be attacked and if other weapons (knives or pepper spray) are not enough. I don't think this post makes sense but it's been a few days since I slept.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Having firearms may provide a feeling of safety and security but in reality it does not, you as an American have a right to bear arms but has that right made those who carry them any safer, no it has not, many Americans who have guns have died because of murder, robbery, drugs etc, it did not and does not protect them/you from harm.

And a great deal of those who had no guns also dies from robbery, murder, drugs, etc. Whats your point?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
1) We have as many rights as we have bullets to back up. Example: when I went to the tax assessors office to pay my property tax I was shocked to read their wall postings while I stood in line. A statute was cited that gave our government the "right" to come into our homes, rifle through our belongings, count out the socks in our underwear drawer if they wanted to, calculate the assessed value of these things we're already paid taxes on and then tax us on it again. Every year. When I got to the counter, I pointed to the wall with the offensive statute and asked the clerk if it was true. She affirmed that it was. I said, "I suggest you come with bigger guns than I've got!" She deadpanned, "that's why we don't enforce it".
2) The only response to an armed terrorist is an armed citizenry. Example: I had my house broken into by some crazed mad-man. I don't know what his malfunction was but I barricaded myself in my bedroom and he took an AX and began hacking at my bedroom door. I waited patiently with gun in hand until he actually broke through the door. When he did, I pointed the gun at his face and he immediately left. Drug-crazed or not, he had enough synapsing brain cells to know you don't bring an ax to a gun fight. I've carried since I was 18 and having a weapon has saved my life on more than one occasion. I've never fired my weapon at anyone. Never needed to. Just having it has been enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
2) The only response to an armed terrorist is an armed citizenry. Example: I had my house broken into by some crazed mad-man. I don't know what his malfunction was but I barricaded myself in my bedroom and he took an AX and began hacking at my bedroom door. I waited patiently with gun in hand until he actually broke through the door. When he did, I pointed the gun at his face and he immediately left. Drug-crazed or not, he had enough synapsing brain cells to know you don't bring an ax to a gun fight. I've carried since I was 18 and having a weapon has saved my life on more than one occasion. I've never fired my weapon at anyone. Never needed to. Just having it has been enough.

OMG! That has got to be the worst-case scenario for most people! I like your story-telling, it injected some humor into an otherwise scary situatation.

I have weapons because, "They make me feel like a big man." -Jimbo

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I grew up in a family with a deep police/military heritage. I've been around guns my whole life and learned about them early. They've always been treated with the utmost seriousness. I've had permits --- even a federal dealer license at one point --- for many years. Although I have a concealed carry permit I don't carry on my person as a rule. No need to.

I did have one occasion to protect my property however. I had broken-up with a live-in girlfriend who decided she was going to have a group of male friends and family come to my house and loot the place (she had contributed exactly $0 while she was with me and had already moved-out every single thing she owned. She was explicitly not after anything of hers. She was after my belongings). She knew I worked from home. I was working at my desk and saw a large pickup stopped at the top of my driveway (over 1,000ft from the house --- I live in a very wooded, secluded setting). I saw it start down the drive very slowly and noticed there were several people in it. My instinct told me to grab a shotgun.

I did and went out through the garage so they wouldn't see me until they came up to the house. When they saw me they stopped. There were 6 guys in the truck. Someone yelled to get out of the way so I wouldn't get hurt. I chambered a shell and levelled the barrel at the windshield. They discussed the situation among themselves for a short time and then the driver told me to get out of the way so they could turn around and leave. (there is a 'turn-around' at the house but nowhere along the length of the driveway). I told him to back out. He gunned the engine and I chambered another round so they could see the gun was loaded. They immediately backed out and left. I called the police and detailed the entire incident. There was no repeat.

That's why I own guns. It's why I will always own guns.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Why? For many reasons...

Number 1 - I can! The Constitution guarantees this right (The right to bear arms) and I exercise it fully. It is high time that many states fall in line with the Constitution and allow the carrying (Not simply owning) a firearm. Nowhere in the Constitution does it lay restrictions upon individuals who desire to carry a gun as we are guaranteed to the right to "bear" them.

Number 2 - Personal protection. I live in an old industrial city with a high poverty and crime rate. We are addled daily by people performing violent crimes so that they can a.) purchase their next fix, b.) gain street cred by committing a violent crime and c.) simply survive. I will not be one of their victims!

Number 3 - protection of my family and my property. See above. I pity the stupid criminal that attempts to separate me, my family or our belongings!

Number 4 - Because I intend to use it when required. It is CONCEALED. It is not a show piece designed to intimidate people (Doesn't work anyway). If I draw my weapon I have the fortitude to pull that trigger and end someone's life if necessary. This is something that EVERYONE considering carrying needs to think VERY carefully about.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
jtma,

Wow, that's quite a story! In all seriousness from my earlier post, I had a similar situation that didn't go quite as far.

About 10-12 years ago I met and dated a very attractive woman, the kind that would make men's heads turn, hearts race, and libidos move upon her entrance into a crowded room.

She was also mentally unstable.

Over time I found out she was on some serious medication, which didn't work too well so her dose was doubled. I've seen some greeting cards with a model in a bikini where the inside reads something like, "...just remember, now matter how good-looking she is, some guy has to put up with her (expletive).".

This was my situation. After several months I finally gave her the heave-ho, and in the pre-caller ID days I received hang up calls, or calls which sounded like a shrieking, tortured cat. I don't know if it was her or any actual cat, but anyway, I related this and some other stories to some friends and co-workers who weren't anti-gun, but weren't really pro-gun either. They asked if I was ever worried about her "coming after me", to which I replied matter-of-factly, "No, I'd just blow her away if she did."

I'm still shocked over their horrified responses to my answer. I guess one should just let a mentally unstable person break into your home and do whatever they want to your belongings or person?

I'm not a violent person, but like anyone, I have the capablility of violence, perhaps more than some. I've never committed a violent crime. Sure, I've been in some scraps, but never at my instigation.

Back on topic, I have weapons for a variety of reasons. The number one reason is that I can. As for other reasons, I have sporting arms so if I ever hunt or target-shoot, I don't need to borrow and beg someone for the use of a weapon as I did in my youth. I have militaria for their historical value. In fact, with my Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifle, I was able to locate the original soldier to whom the rifle was issued, and corresponded with him briefly. I have various types of arms (rifles, shotguns, and pistols) because each are used and useful for particular purposes. I have weapons in a variety of calibers because I enjoy the challenges of mastering their use and becoming acquainted and familiar with the ballistic performance and limitiations of those different calibers.

Lastly, if there were any need for survival or defense, I'd rather have one (or many) that not have any and worry about obtaining one.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Where I live hunting is really HUGE.Practically every male(and some females)Own guns for hunting and home protection.Heroin is a big problem here and alot of addicts break into homes and steal to get their "fix".I have a shotgun and a 30-06 ,mostly for hunting.But if some addict decides to come through my window some night, they are in for a rude awakening!

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Zhenyghi...

I feel your pain. I lived the same situation a number of years ago. Although I never lived with this particular woman it turned out (much later) that she had some sort of mental issue that caused her to be extraordinarily unstable and violent. I don't have the desire to relate the entire saga here but it would blow your mind. This particular woman actually did show up at my home, force her way in and attacked me with a knife she took right off my counter.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
jtma,

Good grief man! You must have some way with you to invoke such reactions from women, not just one, but (at least?) two!..

You must just be a stud. Is it okay for a straight man to say that to another straight man?...

I'm lucky I found a docile, submissive, chaste woman to whom I'm now happily married. I wish all men were as lucky.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
hehe... Just the two thankfully. And the woman in the 1st story was a good person basically but I found out that she had a very well hidden alcohol problem. Her thing was just an attempt to avenge her being 'found out' and a desire to take as much 'stuff' as she thought she could.

The second woman (who actually occurred first by a number of years) was a true whack-job. She was crazy (although you'd never know it to meet her). I found stuff out about her long after we parted ways that blew my mind. They're out there, man. I try to make sure my kids know that too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join