It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier shot by police after refusing to return to Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I know this should probably be on ATSNN but. it's so difficult to write the articles and i'm just a lazy student.

www.foxnews.com...

U.S. Army Reservist, Upset About Deployment to Iraq, Killed by Police in Standoff

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

LEONARDTOWN, Maryland — A member of the U.S. Army Reserves despondent about being sent to Iraq was killed by police during a 14-hour standoff that began Christmas night when family members told authorities he was armed and threatening to kill himself.

James Emerick Dean, 28, had barricaded himself inside his father's house with several weapons Monday night, family members told police. He later told officers he would shoot anyone who entered the house. His father was not home at the time.

Dean had already served 18 months in Afghanistan and was despondent after learning recently that he would be deployed to Iraq, family members told police.

"His dad told me that he didn't want to go to war," Matthews said. "He had already been out there and didn't want to go again."

End the war.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Syrian Sister]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That reminds me of the Meteor Shower show from South Park..

"They're planning to commit mass suicide and, by God, we won't let them. Even if we have to kill every last one of the bastards....."

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
By the amount of replies you can tell that this type of news are not what defendants of the war sitting happily at home wants to hear.

This is just one example of the amount of stress and psychological problems that our troops has to deal with on prolonged tours in a hostile environment.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
your headline is very misrepresentive of the actual story. you make it sound as if he was shot because he refused to deploy for another tour, when in actuality, he was shot because he barricaded himself in a house with firearms and threatened to shoot anyone attempting to enter. sounds more like a case of "suicide by cop" than anything else.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Soldier shot by police after refusing to return to Iraq

Talk about a misleading title this really takes the cake. He was not shot because he refused to go to Iraq he was shot for shooitng back at the police.

Now show me where in the article it states he refused to go to Iraq

Edit to add: Ah I see snafu7700's post and mine crossed and he caught the same things I did

[edit on 12/28/2006 by shots]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yep another sad war story

people can try to deny the truth of it all but it will slap you in the face from time to time.

this is an example of the state of affairs in these wars
and i think whe have seen this before in other wars

i think they are the firsts signs of defeat

both sides lose

(edit:spelling)

[edit on 28-12-2006 by jaamaan]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The article says that he barricaded himself in the house and was armed with several weapons, it goes on to say that he told officers he would shoot anyone who entered the house.

I can only assume there was a shootout (the article says standoff and does not mention gunfire) and therefore that is why this man was shot.

If he had never fired a shot but walked out and given himself up, he may have ended up in a psych unit, then he would perhaps never be deployed again. I do not understand why a Reservist would have to go to a theatre of war, are reservists not given a choice in the US ? Is the US running out of enlisted manpower ???

The article is very unclear with facts but one thing is clear to me...the poor man felt that desperate that he felt he had to make a stand. That is very sad and we may see more of this type of resistance in the future.

Yes Syrian...this farcical war must end

In Peace Always
res

[edit on 28-12-2006 by resistancia]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here is another report on this incident:

Dean's family contacted police Monday night, saying he was armed and threatening to kill himself, the sheriff said. Dean later told police he would shoot anyone who entered the house.
Dean, who had ranger training, was despondent about several things, including recent orders for him to go to Iraq, the family told authorities…
Source

There are several reports about this; however none of the reports contain this:

“Soldier shot by police after refusing to return to Iraq”

mg

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I like how you only put in the parts of the story that make your point of anti war.. very good.. propaganda..

SUCH AS:

During the standoff, Dean fired several shots at police, including one that struck a car where a deputy sat. The officer was not injured.

What a coward... brought plenty of shame to his family and the reserves if you ask me.

There are plenty of more sensible ways to avoid war.. people used to break their legs.. they used to claim religous reasons.. run away to Canada...

But.. when you point a gun at a cop because you decided you don't want the job you signed up for.. well naturally you will die.

They have a term for it.. Suicide by cop.

[edit on 12/28/2006 by Rockpuck]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
I do not understand why a Reservist would have to go to a theatre of war, are reservists not given a choice in the US ? Is the US running out of enlisted manpower ???

Reservists tend to go first - ahead of the regular forces.

No - the reservists do not have a choice - they made the decision when they joined the reserves.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sounds as though his service had driven him a bit mental.

It's frighting but many of the crimes commited by those driven haywire by their military experience have yet to come. They can happen any time.

Wasen't it a Gulf War 1 soldier who did the Omma Bombing?

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Yeppers, Soldiers going broke and bankrupt because they can't keep up with the pre-war bills ...

Soldiers families falling apart because soldiers untreated psychological trauma wears them out ...

Reservists all getting called to war by a smirking person who never even got close to war ...

Americans learning through televison, movies and other media that Guns are the Answer to all our problems ...

... and all that specialized training coming home to roost after the USA pulls out and the truth of the war really begins to sink into the American People. Yep, there will be more Tim McVieghs, there will be more Oklahoma type incidents.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Yes i think it is a sign of abussed soldiers

Is it not increddible that if you sign up for the army yourself they can hold you until they think it is right.

Realy sad to hear of these soldiers who went allready 2 or 3 times to the front that they get send there again beacause of the small print in their contracts.

I would flip out to if i had been send back to kill a lot of inocent people in a country far away from mine.
Specialy if i'd only signed on to defend my own country.

To be send to a war you dont want to go to is like beeing send to prison innocent.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Nice headline.

If the guy was despondent after being laid off from a job, it would read something like.

"Man shot after getting fired"

Of course it could also read.
Man shot after drinking milk.
Man shot after going through puberty.
Man shot after becoming christian

The guy was shot for barricading, holding weapons, and threatening to shoot others.

I feel bad for the guy.

Missed_gear, I gave you a WATS just for calling out the headline of a propagandist (and admitted lazy student)

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
Yeppers, Soldiers going broke and bankrupt because they can't keep up with the pre-war bills ...

Soldiers families falling apart because soldiers untreated psychological trauma wears them out ...

Reservists all getting called to war by a smirking person who never even got close to war ...

Americans learning through televison, movies and other media that Guns are the Answer to all our problems ...

... and all that specialized training coming home to roost after the USA pulls out and the truth of the war really begins to sink into the American People. Yep, there will be more Tim McVieghs, there will be more Oklahoma type incidents.

Not to mention all those who will use the above for excuses for their behavior rather than take responsibility for their own actions.

Expect to see a draft in the US's future. Expect to see a lot of this type of behavior as well as people runnung away from this country. I doubt that Bush will be willing to pull troops out anytime soon. He'll find a way to get the draft. That will probably start a civil war.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
That's heartbreaking. After surviving a year and a half in combat in Afghanistan he returns home to and gets killed. His own country proved to be a bigger threat to his life than foreign forces he faced in Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is one heck of a misleading thread title. It is regretable that this individual chose to fire at police after barricading himself in his father's house and threatening to shot at any who entered. The article if read fully further states that he was despondent over several things not just returning to combat. I believe at least two members have called it like it is suicide by cop.

No, reservists do not have the right to chose when they go or not. They made that choice the day they took the oath of enlistment as did the active duty.

As far as Syrian Sister being a lazy student I know my kid just went through her college finals for the semester and if that's also the case for Syrian then she's earned the right to be lazy for a little while.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
refused to go to Iraq

It can't be that hard.. let's just say "though he didn't say he refused to go to Iraq, he was depressed because he was supposed to go, so he decided to kill himself."

I think the title is slightly misleading, but not too badly done. Sad that our soldiers are starting to kill themselves rather than go. That is a shame. What's more of a shame is that some people are more concerned with the title of this thread, than the fact that someone was going to kill themselves that obviously didn't want to go. What the pro war peeps will do, to save face, worry about a title in lieu of the one dead because of his mental instability and the war that shouldn't have happened. :shk:

[edit on 12/29/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
What's more of a shame is that some people are more concerned with the title of this thread, than the fact that someone was going to kill themselves that obviously didn't want to go. What the pro war peeps will do, to save face, worry about a title in lieu of the one dead because of his mental instability and the war that shouldn't have happened. :shk:

Making a comment about the misleading title does not necessarily make one pro-war. This is a story about a young man who chose suicide by cop rather than doing the job he volunteered for.

I am pro war if the cause is right. This war was just wrong on so many levels. No, this war should never have happened. Since it did, however, no use crying over spilled milk (or blood). The US screwed up! The genie is out of the bottle and we can't get him back in. Things will get much worse before they get better, if they ever get better. As nearly every living human being on the planet already knows this, IMHO it is counter productive to keep harping on it.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
That's heartbreaking. After surviving a year and a half in combat in Afghanistan he returns home to and gets killed. His own country proved to be a bigger threat to his life than foreign forces he faced in Afghanistan.

You are so right! Your chances of surviving this type of combat, are the same chances you take when you get in your car to take a ride. Throw in drunk drivers, idiots who continue to use cell phones while driving, murder rates in Metro areas, and random acts of nature, he might have been better off in Iraq!

[edit on 29-12-2006 by RRconservative]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join