It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

camaro the greatest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
just like to thank the Americans for producing to me the greatest american muscle car of the century the 69 Camaro since i live in australia i have never seen one driven on our roads though i have every dvd that has anything to do with a camaro i will be buying one once i have saved enough money they cost around $50kau anyways thank you GM for the car of my dreams
blogsimages.skynet.be...
one more thing any one here actually owns a camaro or has driven one could you please tell me how it is please

[edit on 28-12-2006 by CYRAX]

[edit on 28-12-2006 by CYRAX]

Mod Edit: CAP title...AGAIN: Please don't remove Moderator Edits, they are done for a reason.

[edit on 12/29/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A friend of mine bought a Camaro in, oh, it must have been about 1974 or so. I don't remember the model year, but he let me drive it one night.

This might sound like a stupid thing to do, but, in fact, it was incredibly stupid.

I pulled up to a stop sign just a about 20 yards or so from the Carlsbad, NM, police station, revved up the engine and dumped the clutch, leaving a very long patch of rubber.

In my rear-view mirror, I saw flashing lights and immediately hung a right and drove to about the third house from the corner, pulled into a driveway, and me and my friend exited the vehicle in an attempt to hide behind the house, but we were too slow, being as drunk on our behinds as we were, and the officer leaped from his car and called out for us to halt.

As it turned out, the officer was the brother of a lady friend, who instead of arresting us for evasion or some such, issued me a ticket for reckless driving.

I went to court, pleaded down to driving 35 in a 30 mph zone and got off with a small fine.

It's not much to brag about, but it's a true story.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
That's too cool Grady

I had me an 86 Camaro for a while--loved that car, ended up being a piece of crap by the time I was done with it, unable to really afford to keep up with the maintenance or anything (not that it needed any more than any other car...)

It was a great car until I drove it from El Paso to Lubbock for my college orientation. Probably would still be a great car if I'd known that the radiator cap had to be pushed and turned to check the water when we headed back home. I was too stupid to figure that part out, and figured since we had just bought the car it'd be fine on water for the ride home. :shk:

Ended up getting a three-day, two-night holiday with my best friend, stuck in the booming metropolis of Seminole, Texas, with a population slightly smalller than that of your local gas station.

That was seven years ago. I think my dad still has the car, though it's been pretty much unusable for a few years even after having the engine replaced--electrical problems, the driver's side door is busted, other relatively small things that just add up to knock it out of commission.

Great car though, as long as you got an owner who knows a little bit about what the hell they're doing (or knows well enough to take it to someone who does.)

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I presently own a 1997 Firebird Formula with the LT1 engine. The car is scary fast. One warning thow the F body cars meaning Camaro firebird and trasam are not made for high speed turns. they can be made that way but from the factory they are made to go streight very fast.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well...I used to like camaros. Until I got to do a couple tune ups and a power window motor on the newer Z28s and just about lost my mind in the process. I don't quite remember the exact book time to replace 8 spark plugs, around 5-6 hours I believe. Well it took me 7 the first time.

Now I hate camaros.

Actually Id like to own one, but I never want to work on them ever again.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
the first gen camaro as you described was and still is an american icon. I used to work for a guy named Ken Pascoe back in NY that restores 1st gen camaros for Barret Jackson and other major auctions.
Here's his "brown car" thats sold for over $100,000

Their brilliant in their simplicity, and not bad on the eyes either.

The 70's and 80's were less kind to the camaro, they tried many different fuel systems and had a hard fight with the emissions regulations of the day.

The F-Bodies carry a strong following, but IMO they are simply no longer enough car for the money.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantom702

The 70's and 80's were less kind to the camaro, they tried many different fuel systems and had a hard fight with the emissions regulations of the day.

Yep the 80's were really hard on the F-body cars.

The F-Bodies carry a strong following, but IMO they are simply no longer enough car for the money.

Are you crazy
? How is one of the Fastest cars on the road not enough car for the money. The LT series motors are pond for pound the most powerful affordable engines out there. I have a 97 camaro with a LT1 bone stock this car regularly stomps mustangs that have been highly beefed. Honda's Toyota's Nissans cant even think about keeping up. Argue statistics all you want ive proven it. All I have to do is stick on a different intake and factory headers and what do I have? The same engine they put in Corvette's. in the Z28 and trans-am they even have the same cam as the vet. So please tell me again how its not enough car for the money. Style power and affordability. opinions are one thing my friend but facts speak for themselves. cant afford a vet get a F-body!!!! The LS series is even better then the LT more power lighter. gotta love a chevy.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Not everyone lives their life a 1/4 mile at a time. There are these things called corners, most american cars suck at going around them. Nobody is doubting their power, thats what America is good at, but in the handeling deptment the europeans and japanese are far more pleasureable. What did the T/A / Camaro cost new? Almost 30g's? I can name 5 cars off the top of my head that I would rather drive in that market segment. And look at the interior, BLECHK!!!

And they hold their value like used napkins.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantom702
Not everyone lives their life a 1/4 mile at a time.

1/4 mile sucks and its diefently not ware the f-bodys shine. geared all wrong for 1/4

There are these things called corners, most american cars suck at going around them.

One cicle track championship and still hold 2 fastest qualifing records and a record for most races won in a year ya I know a thing or two about corners.

Nobody is doubting their power, thats what America is good at, but in the handeling deptment the europeans and japanese are far more pleasureable.

Bone stock yes the jap crap is better at handling as are all front wheel drive cars. even American front wheel drive cars corner better then rear wheel monsters. To make a F-body corner like a one of the europeans and japanese cars tie the frame together. Here is a better idea. learn to drive the power. They corner just fine if you know how to drive them. The F-body cars are a drivers car, they wont just turn you actually have to turn them using steering and or gas/break. what ever is nassary for the corner your on. I consider it like a wild statilion. The horse isnt going to do what you want til you make it. It takes skill to drive them and IMO Most kids these days want the car to do the work not the driver its a lazy issue.

What did the T/A / Camaro cost new? Almost 30g's? I can name 5 cars off the top of my head that I would rather drive in that market segment. And look at the interior, BLECHK!!!

Oh lets examine that last statement. Cant help you or argue about the price never bought a new one never will. Now on to the next sentance. For arguments sake I will hightlight whats I feel is WRONG with it. You said

I can name 5 cars off the top of my head that I would rather drive in that market segment.

Key word being I, that is considered an opinion. As I stated opinions are one thing but facts speak for themselfs. As for the Interior that is onether opinion. The 4th gens are awsome IMO the seats fit like a fighter jet and the car fits like a glove.

And they hold their value like used napkins.

Again we disagree Ive had several F-body cars over the years They resell wonderfully. Ive made money on every single one. There is a huge market for them regardless what the so called trade in value is. So I cant sell it for new price first off its not new. you cant sell a great used toyota for new price either. Any car IMO will sell for a profit if people see its been treated with care and respect.

phantom you have a right to your opinions and a right to tell them as I do but please dont speak an opinion as a fact. and please dont confuse the 80's F-body with real cars
. Ha little joke there. Regardless how you feel about these wonderful pieces of America there is a huge following of us older folks people between 30 and 60. The younger generation seems drawn to the imports but that doesnt nassarily make them better just because a generation of kids flip for them.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by angryamerican]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This argument has, and could go on forever. I'm not about that. You have your views I have mine.

Congrats on your racing acomplishments, it was naver about you personally. Simly stating the fact that American cars are in large part not designed to corner well.

Front wheel drive cars are in no way superior in cornering. Front engine rear drive is the supreme drivetrain layout. The FF chassis is a grossly over-burdened layout. Simply too much is asked of the front wheels.

Where America falls short, and they do, is suspension. They are soft and compliant, so the average overweight American wont complain about the harsh ride. God forbid someones Double Big Gulp fall from one of their 9 cup holders.

In the right hands anything can be fast. Their was a German girl who piloted a Ford box-van around the Nurburgring in under 10 minutes.

The statemant I made about the pricepoint was an opinion, obviously since thousands walk past the S2000, RX-8, G35, 350Z, Evo, WRX, Elise, A4, 3 series bimmers, and others to their local GM delaers to buy Camaros and T/A's. Their very presence in the market show that their is a demand.

And finally American cars are notorious for not holding ther value. That sir is a bonafide FACT.

I love cars, period. we all have our passion (or poison as the case may be, lol). The Camaro is an American icon, no bones about it. Not in my top 10 but hey, to each our own.

Agreed?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Thank you phantom for the great pics
all my friends are into the jap cars the rx7s skyline gtrs but to me there is nothing to compare to the 60s american muscle era they are the most beautiful cars ever im only 21 so it will be a while till i can afford a camaro but i will have one
heres some australian muscle cars of the 70s 80s please tell me what you americans think
my favourite is the xy gt the first aussie car to be worth a million
ford xy gt
www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au...

ford xa fairmont

holden torana a9x

holden gts monaro

holden hq monaro

[edit on 21-1-2007 by CYRAX]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Nice looking cars. strange thow I never thought that australia would have hot cars to. I guess its my American Arrogence sorry. It makes sense people are pretty much the same the world over. To bad your not in the states Ide sell you my Camaro, Gotta buy a new engine for my jeep. Nothing wrong with the old one but ime gonna put a LS-1 in it and lift it to go play in the mud.

I did notice that the holden gts monaro looks a lot like the Chevy nova.
Chevy Nova

Jeep like mine and what I wanna do

top topics

join