It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military considers recruiting foreigners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
So,this is what it has come down too.
Isnt the proper term for this "mercinary"?
I see this as a bad idea to have "outsiders" fighting in the army.
I can also see a draft not fer off in the horizon.
This is a sign that things are bad in Iraq,and in the military in general.
I got an idea,since were having foreigners fighting in our army,why not just have a world government?And have one military.
Nah,that couldnt happen

(BostonGlobe.com)-Expedited citizenship would be an incentive
WASHINGTON -- The armed forces, already struggling to meet recruiting goals, are considering expanding the number of noncitizens in the ranks -- including disputed proposals to open recruiting stations overseas and putting more immigrants on a faster track to US citizenship if they volunteer -- according to Pentagon officials.

www.boston.com...

Foreign citizens serving in the US military is a highly charged issue, which could expose the Pentagon to criticism that it is essentially using mercenaries to defend the country. Other analysts voice concern that a large contingent of noncitizens under arms could jeopardize national security or reflect badly on Americans' willingness to serve in uniform.

www.boston.com...

Some within the Army privately express concern that a big push to recruit noncitizens would smack of "the decline of the American empire," as one Army official who asked not to be identified put it.

www.boston.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest, there are more than a fair number of Canucks already in your armed forces. A number of persons I know (including myself) planned to join the Corps, had our entry plans with the Canadian Forces fallen through. There was up until a few years ago a loophole in which person applying for green cards could join the military at a certain point in the process. I believe a number of canadians did the same thing during Vietnam, as well, so this does have historical precedent.

DE

EDIT: A mercenary is a proffessional soldier who fights not for their country but for tendered monies. The term you are thinking of is auxilliary.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by DeusEx]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
I believe a number of canadians did the same thing during Vietnam, as well, so this does have historical precedent.

DE

Yup, went to college with a Canadian VN vet. Yeah, I'm old.

link   
Sounds bad... and I see a connection with the Roman empire.

link   
I think the only thing new here is the possibility of actively recruiting foreigners by opening overseas offices. The military has accepted foreign citizens and put them on a fast track to U.S. citizenship through their service for a long time.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingman77
Sounds bad... and I see a connection with the Roman empire.

You're just seeing this now?

Exhibit A:

Roman Eagle

I don't think that the American Empire will last half as long though. The cracks are already showing.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If we recruit individuals who genuinely desire to become American citizens then perhaps its not as disastrous as it sounds. Is it necessary? I don't believe it is at this point in time, but I believe Lou Dobbs does. He's freaking out about China. Currency dumping, disputes over trade with Iran, and the build up of China's navy are hitting mainstream news now.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
as mentioned by others, this has been going on for years. in boot camp we had a mexican guy who couldnt even speak english when he first joined up....they have a special program to teach english to foriegners and once they are fluent enough, they are sent to join a bootcamp company. during the course of my enlistment i also met one australian, one canadian (both ended up with dual-citizenship by the end of their enlistments), and one saudi prince...he simply planned to do his tour and return home.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
French Foreign Legion anyone? Although I dont know if you can gain French citizenship from serving in the legion.

Cmon, if there is someone of foreign origin who would like to become a US citizen but has not the resources to do so, I wouldnt have a problem with htem joining the military as long as they are held to the oath they take, speak english, and are subject to the same tests and screenings Americans are before being accepted as an enlisted man or woman.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Language is not of importance.

After all when we used to have the draft it didn't make any difference that Puertorican recruits didn't spoke the language, they were drafted anyway.

My father and his brother learned their English while on training for Korea, until this day my father can speak English pretty good.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Language is not of importance.

Language is of the very most importance, as communication is the key to coordinating your forces for attack and defense alike. The French make all foreigners in the legion speak French as it is the only language spoken by their armed forces. You would have to incorporate a chain of command over these men if you were to create spanish speaking units for example, that also spoke these languages, its much more efficient if everyone speaks the same language as to lessen the chance of confusion during battle.

you dont want orders to be lost in translation.

[edit on 12/28/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris

Language is of the very most importance, as communication is the key to coordinating your forces for attack and defense alike.
[edit on 12/28/2006 by ludaChris]

Perhaps in your way of looking at strategies.

But that was not of importance like I said during the years when the military was mandatory.

Like I say it didn't stop Puertorricans that their first language was Spanish, many with less than eight grade education back during the Korea and Vietnam era been drafted with no knowledge of the English language.

My father say that everything was done by hand signs.

It was no even interpreters and concessions like now a days.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
As others have said, the concept is not new...

I was watching a show the other day about Alpha Company in Iraq, the platoon commander was from South Africa; I can say with confidence that he was the reddest blooded American there. I saw no difference between him and the corporal under his command who was born in Brooklyn. The only thing is if they start to open offices oversees than that's going a bit too far IMO.

Also, the article is misleading, the majority of the armed forces are not struggling with current recruitment goals. However in light of Iraq the active Army component will expand in the coming years, possible by as much as 80-100k. It might be difficult to sustain those numbers with the current set up.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I don't think that the American Empire will last half as long though. The cracks are already showing.

There is no such thing as an American Empire. So you are right, we wouldn't last as long...Unless you consider McDonalds, and MTV, and pro-Western leaders as an empire.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I thought that this has been happening for a long time.

Probably it depends on the country. Countries which can be considered as US allies. Like in Asia, Philippines, Thailand & Japan.

I know several Filipino friends who enlisted in the Marines & other branch of US armed forces and they are currently serving in Iraq.

Does anybody know the basic regulation about this.? I mean when you say foreigners, it does not mean that it can be applied to all the countries right?

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Well allowing more foreigners into the US military would kill two birds with the same stone. Recruitment and training bases could be set up along the USA land borders. Mexicans and other nationalities could be signed up at the borders. If someone is prepared to die for the US they have earned Citizenship and the right to be treated as equals.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
As already pointed out, this is nothing new. In the Marine Corps I've ran across many people who were not American citizens, but imo, were as American they come. Mexicans, Jamaicans, Bolivians, one French dude, my old roommate was from Sierra Leone...now an Amcit, knew a few people who were still Nigerian citizens when they enlisted, a few people from Laos. A good portion of the Navy's medical personal are Filipinos.

And all that was almost six years, before 9/11. Ofcourse there career choices are limited because they cannot recieve a clearance required for many of the technical jobs, but there are still many options left.

Anyways, I think having recruitment offices overseas is taking it a bit too far.

[edit on 29/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
First we have Senator Goode griping about immigrants, yet they're considering this...? Then again, once this idea gets shot down (which I think it will...recruiting stations overseas? Just make an appt at an Embassy.) it will open the door for the draft.

Yet... While the Goode senator carries on:

A recent change in US law, however, gave the Pentagon authority to bring immigrants to the United States if it determines it is vital to national security.

I believe this proposition is to get citizens riled up and softened enough to see the need for the draft, while stirring up that patriotic feeling once again.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Can anyone see the forest? It's a sad time for this country when we have to try to defend the right or wrong of hiring our military from outside. Instead of argueing about the fitness of immigrants to serve, we should be questioning the reasons why, out of 300,000,000 people we can't cover our own ass. I quess the poor have finally come to their senses, and the conservatives , well, they never did want to serve.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
While a lot of good and interesting points have been made, i was just thinking the other day that maybe something like this could have some advantages. The French foreign legion is a good example. But not having them directly integrated with the regular military.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join