It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The privacy invasive Community Survey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Two days ago I receive a letter informing our Household that we would be receiving the new and improve invasive American Community Survey also known as the census.

As predicted by the letter right on time and impressively in busy Holiday Season our Survey was received.

The first thing in the envelope was the warning YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW .

Now how in the world my home address has been randomly targeted without my consent and force into submitting an invasive questionnaire and be WARNED that is by law.

If this is a questionnaire and supposedly is protecting privacy and randomly targeted why I am asked to submit all the names of my family and very personal and invasive questions with it.

To tell you the truth I am so taken by the amount of information that this survey required that I am ready to call a lawyer to see if my privacy rights are been violated by answering this survey.

Does anybody have received the survey also? And how do you feel.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I have never recieved anything like that but I would sure like to. I could have a lot of fun with it.

How many children do you have?

Occupation?

Assassin.

I could go on and on but I would fill out the entire thing with the most bizarre answers that I could think of.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The problem is that the survey is asking for you name already linked to your home and your personal phone number.

Also the information asked is so detailed that is like filling out your taxes to the penny.

LOCKHEED MARTIN AWARDED $500 MILLION CONTRACT TO IMPLEMENT SYSTEM FOR 2010 U.S. CENSUS

Now what in the world private company like Lockheed has to do with taking private information from citizens and what they planning to do with it.

www.lockheedmartin.com...

Has our privacy now sold to private interest?

Pearson wins Census information processing subcontract

"Pearson Government Solutions will oversee the system’s data capture management for paper forms and will perform citizen contact management operations for Lockheed Martin."

www.washingtontechnology.com...

Nortel PEC Solutions Selected to Support 2010 U.S. Census

In support of the 2010 Census, the Lockheed Martin team will design, build, test, deploy, implement, operate, maintain, and secure the systems, infrastructure, staffing, procedures, and facilities needed to provide assistance to the public through the telephone and Internet."

www2.nortel.com...

The information that this people will gather and they have done it before in 2000 will not be kept in private, their practices are far from privacy keepers.

They are corporations and money is their main business.

If the random survey that we are receiving now is invasive, get hold of yourselves because what is coming in 2010 is going to be even worst and it will be against the law to avoid it.

Why? because it already is.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043To tell you the truth I am so taken by the amount of information that this survey required that I am ready to call a lawyer to see if my privacy rights are been violated by answering this survey.

Good grief, marg... this surely is a frightening situation and I hope you are able to get through it.

There are those who are of the same mind as you, though. At least that is some small comfort.

Here is what I found Googling;

www.rutherford.org...

The questions, as Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) has said, are “both ludicrous and insulting.” For example, the survey asks how many persons live in your home, along with their names and detailed information about them such as their relationship to you, marital status, race and their physical, mental and emotional problems, etc. The survey also asks how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have in your house, along with the fuel used to heat your home, the cost of electricity, what type of mortgage you have and monthly mortgage payments, property taxes and so on. This questionnaire also demands to know how many days you were sick last year, how many automobiles you own and the number of miles driven, whether you have trouble getting up the stairs and, amazingly, what time you leave for work every morning. With the power of government agents under the USA Patriot Act to secretly come into your home and rifle through your personal belongings without a search warrant, it is dangerous to let the government know when you will not be at home.

However, that’s not all. The survey combines asinine questions with highly detailed inquiries about your financial affairs. And the survey demands that you violate the privacy of others by supplying the names and addresses of your friends, relatives and employer. The questionnaire also demands that you give other information on the people in your home, such as their educational levels, how many years of school were completed, what languages they speak and when they last worked at a job, among other things.

-snip-

Unfortunately, the survey is not voluntary. Answering the questions is not a polite request from the Census Bureau. You are legally obligated to answer. If you refuse, the fines are staggering. For every question not answered, there is a $100 fine. And for every intentionally false response to a question, the fine is $500. Therefore, if a person representing a two-person household refused to fill out any questions or simply answered nonsensically, the total fines could range from upwards of $10,000 and $50,000 for noncompliance.

All bolding mine

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I got the survey on my table,

I am given 3 weeks to answer if I fail I will have a notice in the mail, I I still fail, I will have a phone call and if I fail to answer on the phone, I will have a one on one visit by a surveyor.

The survey also ask for you place of employment by address.

Now, how do they got hold of my private phone number to begin with?

Interesting.

Now the whole thing falls under US Code Title 13, sections Section 141 and Section 193 your response is required by law.

The fine is now from 100 dollars to no more than 5000, so yes if you can afford the fine, you can get away with not filling the survey out, but then I imagine that it will be something else attached to it.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I guees it is easy for me to tell you not to fill out the survey or to answer their questions in a bizarre fashion as possible, but this really makes my blood boil. I would not give in to their threats. I would really love to have the oppurtunity to fill out that form so I could tell them in bold letters---Go To Hell, It's None Of Your Damn Business!

For example, the survey asks ...... mental and emotional problems,

My answer: I once killed a man for asking nosy questions.

I'm serious. If everybody would make a stand against this....well, they aint going to be able to prosecute everybody.

If you don't fill it out can't you just say that you never recieved it in the mail?

It's like when you know that you are about to be summoned to appear in court as a witness so you lay low for awhile and don't anser the door when the deputy comes banging on your door to serve you the summons. Around here it actualy has to be delivered and signed for in person, they just can't leave it in your mailbox.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I've been down this road before and could not win the fight.
My first objection was the woman at my door was a neighbour from down the street that had been hired as a census taker. I had no intention of giving her any of my information, I told her so and closed the door.
She put the forms in my mail box and left.

She called my unlisted phone # a few days later and offered to have me answer the questions during a phone interview. I refused, said good-bye, and hung up the phone.

About two weeks later I received a letter in the mail from Stats Canada that informed me I was obligated to provide the information they wanted. If I failed to reply I was facing arrest, a $500.00 fine, and a court date.
I was told that I could face up to 3 months in jail if convicted.

The questions that I objected to most were the ones asking about my sexuality and skin colour. I don't think my government needs to know if I'm gay or not, and being born in Canada, what difference does it make to them how much melanin I have in my skin.

I did eventually answer about 60 questions on the form and mail it in, but the original enumerator that came to my door gave me a stupid smile in the store a few weeks later because she knew she had won.
Though she never got access to my personal information, the government did.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Though she never got access to my personal information, the government did.

The problem is that the information gathered now is in the hands of private corporate groups that will be taking this information and privacy is not their main way of doing business.

They are no only doing this in behave of the government been paid by tax payer money to get more invasive on the privacy of citizens with the government backing them up.

Our nation has been sold and we the citizens with it and still we are to pay for the transaction too.

What they are to do with the information, taking into consideration that this private corporations are the ones to find ways to be as intrusive as they want with not protections for the citizens is nothing new.

This is what happen when our own government has been sold to private interest.

top topics

join