It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's President Hu Calls for powerful, combat ready navy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Here's a Reuters news article of chinas president calling for a powerful and combat ready navy
sour ce
what do you guys make of this just another step toward a showdown someday soon over Taiwan?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think the World is zeroing in on North Korea.

My naval Brother has said that they expect that to be the next World Policeing activity.

If that is the case, China will want to show a strong border.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Gosh, somebody has to defend the shipping lanes for Walmart!

But, really when will the U.S. wake up and realize we are selling our our future and security to the "Communist China"

When did international corporatism trumph U.S. Security! I am all fired up and Lou Dobbs isn't on for another hour!

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
China Defends it military rise in an article

"Its specific focus is on Taiwan, on the worst-case scenario for Taiwan moving toward independence, then declaring independence and U.S. intervention," he said.

OTHER THREATS

The report also said China was facing threats from other, unnamed neighbors. "The issues of border complexities and sensitive historical problems still have an effect on China's security environment," it said.

China has fought brief border wars with India, Vietnam and the former Soviet Union, and continues to dispute the ownership of islets in the South China Sea with Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines.

China also remains wary of Japan, which occupied parts of the country between 1931 and 1945 and which called on Beijing earlier this year to be more open about its military.

Japan's Kyodo news agency said on Friday that Tokyo held a joint navy exercise with Washington for the first time last month under the assumption that China had invaded the disputed Senkaku islands -- known as Diaoyus in China -- in the East China Sea.

The report also defended the rise in China's defense expenditure, officially projected to be some $36 billion in 2006, up about 15 percent from the previous year. Many foreign experts believe the real figure is significantly higher.

"This increase is to compensate for topping up basic defense weaknesses," it said.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think the idea is if China helps out with North Korea, the world won't mind looking the other way as they take Tiwan back. They will probably use some excuse like "we are bringing our people together again to stand against the opressors"... yeah, that sounds about right.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Or maybe China wants a combat ready navy like most of the richest nations have in the world...They want to be accepted as a power on the world's stage eventually, which is why they are investing SO much in the coming Olympics so everything can be perfect for Europeans and Americans that go there, so they can say, "Wow China looks awesome".

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Or maybe China wants a combat ready navy like most of the richest nations have in the world...They want to be accepted as a power on the world's stage eventually, which is why they are investing SO much in the coming Olympics so everything can be perfect for Europeans and Americans that go there, so they can say, "Wow China looks awesome".

Um... newsflash: They are a power on the world's stage.

And maybe they are investing so much in the Olympics because.... maybe because EVERY nation invests in their city if their city was chosen for the Olympics?

When did international corporatism trumph U.S. Security! I am all fired up and Lou Dobbs isn't on for another hour!

Okay sir, WHAT can the U.S. do about it? Last I checked, China was a soverign nation.

Oh, and LAST I CHECKED. China's military budget is only a fraction of that of the U.S.'s.

Oh, and LAST I CHECKED, the United States has military bases, air bases SURROUNDING China with the ability to bomb any Chinese city within an hour.

Oh, and LAST I CHECKED, it was a U.S. spy plane that caused the downing of a Chinese pilot near Chinese territory.

Talk about hypocrisy.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt

And maybe they are investing so much in the Olympics because.... maybe because EVERY nation invests in their city if their city was chosen for the Olympics?

They are investing heavily as they want to make an impression. The Chinese people take great pride in hosting the Olympics so they can "show off". Beijing must invest heavily to reduce the horrid pollution, overcrowding, etc. And is creating a whole little area for visitors and surrounding buildings around the Olympics theater.

This is China's "coming out party". They are still viewed as a poor country (which technically they still are), though they are a UNSC member, and wields power, they are not seen as a world power, such as the US, EU, and Russia.

They are what is termed as emerging powers, like India.

News Flash

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

They are investing heavily as they want to make an impression. The Chinese people take great pride in hosting the Olympics so they can "show off". Beijing must invest heavily to reduce the horrid pollution, overcrowding, etc. And is creating a whole little area for visitors and surrounding buildings around the Olympics theater.

Okay, EVERY country takes great pride in hosting the olympics and EVERY country shows off if their city is chosen for the olympics... It's not just China. Wow... Your biasness against China REALLY shows.

This is China's "coming out party". They are still viewed as a poor country (which technically they still are), though they are a UNSC member, and wields power, they are not seen as a world power, such as the US, EU, and Russia.

They are what is termed as emerging powers, like India.

News Flash

LOL!

You are probably the first to suggest that China is NOT a world power.

China has the world's fourth largest economy (poised to be 3rd in 2009)... the second largest in terms of purchasing power. They have nuclear weapons. They have a very, VERY formidable military. They wield GREAT influence in their surrounding area.... Let's not forget they are one of the five perm members of the UN Security council... (Is India?)

China's GDP is EIGHT times larger than that of Russia's. Let's not even begin to talk about prospected growth... current growth... R&D... etc.

Jeez, you know what. How can I argue against someone who thinks China is not a world power. It's a joke... rofl it's got to be.

[edit on 1-1-2007 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Wow... Your biasness against China REALLY shows.

Not really.

Jeez, you know what. How can I argue against someone who thinks China is not a world power. It's a joke... rofl it's got to be.

All you did was quote economic growth and GDP...that doesn't make one a world power.

www.google.com...

There are all your links. India and China are oth emerging powers, but they are not world powers yet. It takes more than fantastic economic growth to make one a world power.

And Chinese people take a lot more pride in hosting the Olympics than say...New York did. Or London. If you don't think so, then I don't know what to say

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is the first time the Olympics is coming to China... taking pride in building a magnificent city for the olympics is nothing to wow about. The fact that you are even pointing it out tells something. I'm sure, that EVERY OLYMPIC CITY is cleaned, built, and glorified before the games... it's definately nothing to shout "show-off."

Oh, and Retinoid, please tell me what defines a world power. Tell me, how Russia is a world power where China is on the same level as India... Please explain.

I have not only pointed out a strong economy (8 times larger than that of Russia's) But I have also pointed out it's increase in R&D, and especially the fact that China is one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council. That says something, I hope.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Well China wanting to bui;ld up it's military is normal, I mean
every country that can afford it tends to do so.

As for the Olympics, well it is true the city that's going to host
it does tend to spend the years before it cleaning up and ma-
king slight improvements to the city.

But to my knowledge, Beijing is the only city that is literally
building entire biildings especially for the Olympics.

Which is actually cool in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

This is the first time the Olympics is coming to China... taking pride in building a magnificent city for the olympics is nothing to wow about. The fact that you are even pointing it out tells something. I'm sure, that EVERY OLYMPIC CITY is cleaned, built, and glorified before the games... it's definately nothing to shout "show-off."

Great we finally agreed, so they are taking pride in hosting the Olympics. It wasn't that hard to finally admit. Geesh

Oh, and Retinoid, please tell me what defines a world power. Tell me, how Russia is a world power where China is on the same level as India... Please explain.

Military superpower
Political influence

If you read anywhere, it states China and India are emerging powers.

Russia slipped back from world power state due to economic condition and loss of world influence. But their oil and gas is bringing them back again.

I have not only pointed out a strong economy (8 times larger than that of Russia's) But I have also pointed out it's increase in R&D, and especially the fact that China is one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council. That says something, I hope.

It definitely does say something. I have great faith in China, well at least the Chinese people.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if that prediction of China offering to buy the US debit note (is that debit to the World Bank?) of 4.7 Trillion Dollars, will come up this year. The predictions for 07 thread.

China will have to stand behind the UN if, like they claim, they are for peace on a World wide stage. That means doing something about North Korea.....fellow Communists.

China is not alligned with other Communist Countries. Russia, being their border neighbour, will have to depend on a union with Europe to give them a show of strength. That union will become a very powerfull one, which will be what is needed to keep China within it's borders.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No surprise really, those who historically fail to control the seas fail in war. The desire of any country is to control the air and seas, as it protects their interests and shipping lanes. Though I dont see the Chinese Navy dominating the seas yet, it is possible in the future if they continue to grow economically allowing for greater military expansion and build-up.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
All of you do realize that China's income is 40 times more dependent on the US than the US's income is on China?

So China would lose any war with the US (due to about 95% of their economic growth being dependent upon the US).

China will doubtfully make a mistake of losing the US as an economic partner.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus
All of you do realize that China's income is 40 times more dependent on the US than the US's income is on China?

So China would lose any war with the US (due to about 95% of their economic growth being dependent upon the US).

BAHHAA

This is the kind of Western ignorance I'm talking about Retinoid. "95% of China's economic growth dependent on the US"?

[edit on 3-1-2007 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

BAHHAA

This is the kind of Western ignorance I'm talking about Retinoid. "95% of China's economic growth dependent on the US"?

[edit on 3-1-2007 by k4rupt]

It's true...go look up statistics on global economy.

If they lose their huge business with the US then the US loses cheap nikes (no one needs those) but China closes down thousands of factories, loses millions of jobs and thus loses foreign investment.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by Stratrf_Rus]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

It's true...go look up statistics on global economy.

If they lose their huge business with the US then the US loses cheap nikes (no one needs those) but China closes down thousands of factories, loses millions of jobs and thus loses foreign investment.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by Stratrf_Rus]

Retinoid, have fun saving THIS ONE.

top topics

join