It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloned Animals are OK to Eat Rules the FDA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
eating meat is a waste of all life and energy. nuff said. cloned or el-naturel.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

WolfofWar, I had aleady written about telemeres 4 posts back. Why are you repeating same information?

Oh mercy me, forgive me master for repeating what you said three pages back. I shouldn't have responded to the guys post using a word you used. I forgot you have the trademark on telemeres, oh, please do forgive me! pleeaaaase foorgive meee. e.e

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If it comes to the point where the cloned animal is cheaper to buy, yes I will munch out on cloned meat just as any other. FYI, humans are not the only creatures on Earth to eat meat.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
animals eat their own kind. so i guess we should too?

apc

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yup! And lets start wiiiiith.....

Personally I'll be buying non-cloned beef. I already get my cow from an organic market whos cows are non-antibiotic, etc... only grain fed... not fed other cow (so no mad cow MoooOoOOOOooOOO!!).

I see a new market appearing for natural meat soon.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Animals do not eat their own kind. Lions do no eat lions, gators do not eat gators, and bears do not eat bears etc.. etc... I would assume in a very dire situation, yes cannibalism will be found. But the only creatures that regularly practice cannibalism are insects.

By the way there are indeed sporadic populations around the world of humans that do practice cannibalism. Definetly no the societal norm, and they suffer the genetic consequences of doing so. Of course noone here is talking about cannibalism, we are speaking of eating cloned animals. I wouldnt mind getting me some tasty cloned lamb chops, if it ever becomes the cheaper alternative.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Since human muscle can now be grown in a vat, does cloned meat today mean soylent green tomorrow? So what's the market demand for celebrity meat? Lab grown USDA prime Britney Spears thigh roast $3.99/lb or Micheal Moore hamburger just $1.99/lb. on the shelves of the future?

Genetic diversity plays a factor in animal health: a herd of cattle clones can be wiped out by a single pathogen, where a a natural herd might suffer only minor losses. I forsee the cloned meat will eventually become cost prohibitive after a few epidemics hit.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Genetic diversity plays a factor in animal health: a herd of cattle clones can be wiped out by a single pathogen, where a a natural herd might suffer only minor losses. I forsee the cloned meat will eventually become cost prohibitive after a few epidemics hit.

Can someone say 'Way Above Top Secret' for this post? This is exactly what we should be worried about. There are unforseen problems for the subject that will most likely be used for 50-90% of the meat/milk/cheese. These problems still will carry the same traits to the consumer, whether or not these problems will have an effect on the 'user' is up for debate. However, they are still there.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Animals do not eat their own kind. Lions do no eat lions, gators do not eat gators, and bears do not eat bears etc.. etc... I would assume in a very dire situation, yes cannibalism will be found. But the only creatures that regularly practice cannibalism are insects.

By the way there are indeed sporadic populations around the world of humans that do practice cannibalism. Definetly no the societal norm, and they suffer the genetic consequences of doing so. Of course noone here is talking about cannibalism, we are speaking of eating cloned animals. I wouldnt mind getting me some tasty cloned lamb chops, if it ever becomes the cheaper alternative.

Infanticide: Cub killing among lions: Of the higher mammals, the lion shows the most definite cannibalistic tendencies. There have been many reports of male lions killing and then sometimes eating young cubs. In almost all cases, however, the male lion is prompted to kill the cub, not from hunger or population pressure, but by a need to safeguard his own offspring. In most cases, the young are killed but not eaten. This is better described as infanticide, the killing of young, rather than cannibalism.

This extreme behavior is linked to the fact that a female lion reproduces quite slowly, usually coming into season again only after her cubs have become independent. Also, the male has a short breeding period of only about three years. By killing any cubs and young lions already present, he both encourages the females to come into season and eliminates the chance of any rivalry against offspring he later fathers.

Primate infanticide: The males of several primate species, including the common langur, also practice infanticide. Bands of male langurs will attack a mixed troop, driving off the males and killing the offspring before mating with the females. Baboons also have been observed killing their young, and, like the lion, occasionally even eat them.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaganero
eating meat is a waste of all life and energy. nuff said. cloned or el-naturel.

Eating meat is a conversion of energy ... into proteins and nutrients for the body. Not a waste of energy ... as far as the life issue it depends I guess on what value you place a cows life at.

Everything is "alive" even the plants we eat.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
i don't think you understand the amount of grain it takes to feed and raise one cow could instead feed several humans. that one cow would feed much much much less in comparison. so, it's a waste of effort in the end.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't see any reason why cloning would be dangerous to people's health moreso than regular meat. When you look at all the growth horomones that are getting pumped into your chicken and beef, it would look pretty pale in comparison.

But why clone animals just for eating? Seems just as easy, if not easier, to just naturally reproduce an animal. I guess it only makes sense if you want to clone the animal to be exactly the same every time. If you have "The perfect steak", or if McDonalds wanted a hamburger to taste exactly the same every time. Or if you want to eat leftovers from animals harvested for organs.

My family became vegan a few months ago (health reasons, not ethical). Well, my mom and my sister did. My dad still occasionally eats fish, and I'll eat meat whenever I'm not at home, or have a pizza pocket or something once and a while. It takes a bit to get used to, but it definately is better for you without the cholesterol. You can get everything you need (Protein, B12) from other food sources besides meat if you wanted to. Still, I don't mind a bit of meat now and then. If you don't eat meat, I encourage you to continue doing so. If you do eat meat, I would encourage you to cut down because it is quite bad for you, especially eggs. But I think the option for people to eat whatever kind of meat whenever they want should still be available.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

i don't think you understand the amount of grain it takes to feed and raise one cow could instead feed several humans. that one cow would feed much much much less in comparison. so, it's a waste of effort in the end.

But what about the raising of all the others beans and vegetables one needs to provide themselves with a healthy balance of food? If you are taking meat out of your diet, you need a whole array of various vitamins, minerals, and proteins, some of which dont grow natural in certain areas. Your issue just went from feeding grain to searching for obscure beans and trying to grow them.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reaganero eerything you wrote just supports my claims. Animals do not practice canibalism regularly at all, they just kill each other for domination of their own tribe, which theoretically sets a natural balance in nature. There are millions of people killed by people every year for no reason at all.

The lions rarely eat the cubs, but it does happen. That hardly makes them regular cannibals, seeing as there are many human tribes still on isolated places of Earth that also partake in cannibalism.

An reaganmecher, common man whats with the sensationalizing? You sound like you are trying to sell tabloids.

I am not demandig cloned meat, I am just saying if for some reason in the future when I am still around, and there is cloned, or even grown meat available at a cheaper price, I have no problems eating the engineered meat.

apc

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I trust you will at least wait a significant period of time to ensure that there are no unknown hazards?

Only after a decade or two of people safely eating cloned will I even consider it. I wouldn't be surprised if people started developing muscular disorders and problems with the protein structures in their brains as a result of errors in the cloning process and genetic loss in the clones.

But I'll always eat meat. I'll eat meat until the day I die. We're supposed to eat meat. If we weren't, we wouldn't have incisors or canines. Whether or not we're supposed to eat cloned meat though... that's up to future biology to decide.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Cloned meat now seen as mad cow free. Cloned meat PR media says it's moo-riffic.

Mad Cow Breakthrough? Genetically Modified Cattle Are Prion Free Science Daily

Meat eaters give thumbs down to cloned beef The Journal News

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
So will all this cloned meat create an "Electric Sheep" type meat market where real meat is now too expensive because cloned meat is so cheap? I'm having bad visions of no longer being able to get a juicy, bloody, naturally born steak and needing to settle for bland cloned meat.

And who will be the parent animals for the cloned meat? Wouldn't there be a degenerative issue with subsequent generations? I dunno, I'm no genetic scientist, I'm just a meat lover.

How long until we have designer meat? Or chickens with 10 wings? Maybe they'll just start growing meat and leaving the animals out of it.

Crap, don't ruin my steak!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
they will start growing the meat only and leave animals unharmed. it's gonna happen. i posted a link earlier about that topic.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone has posed this yet but found some interesting info on the Whole Foods site concerning the cloned meats.

FDA Issues Draft Documents on the Safety of Animal Clones

It is an older document, but still explains more than I have seen elsewhere.(so far)

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

The lion monkey infanticide post was pointless.
Cats, dogs, gerbils, hamsters, rats eat their young as well in some instances.
But its entirely beside the point.

However grain and land for humans vs stupid herd animals is a good point.
Herd animals are an incredible expense and pollution source.
I think I heard the estimate of 50 million tons of manure goes into the Mississippi, a day, through farm run off.

Every single one of these animals is basically a junkie we breed to eat.
Its born and raised on chemicals to make it larger and disease proof.

Now think about that 50 million tons of feces a day, and all the antibiotics and hormones in it. Now go have a tasty glass of water mmm, did your man boobs grow?
Not yet? Have another glass water.

We seriously should clone chicken cubes.
Tasty chicken that just grows from egg to adulthood in a box, no
eyes, no beak, just nutri-ooze.

Mmmmmm Finger Lickin Cubicken now bred with barbecue flavor!

[edit on 5-1-2008 by Legalizer]

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Legalizer]

<< 1    3 >>

join