It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative energy idea...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I actually heard this idea first put forth by John Stewart, but it seemed so logical that I can't believe noone has followed through with it. He was interviewing that billionaire from Virgin who funded the space race thing with a million dollar reward. And John put forth that someone should do the same thing with alternative fuel vehicles.

Now I'm a man of average income or else I'd fund this myself as I believe it to be a fantastic idea. But if someone set up a fund, I would definitely contribute to it as a reward to get us "off the petroleum".

What are some of your ideas, and do you think this is something that people would get behind?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hi, Master Jedi--

Giving this one a boost because I think it is a sterling idea! Yea, why not?
Like you, I'd help with it, too.

SO, Springer, Simon ? --you guys know some people who would take this on ?

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I appreciate the bump... Yeah when he mentioned it I was floored that noone ran with it... I don't know who you were referring to in your post but if they are active in this sort of thing, I would love to hear their thoughts.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here's one for alternative fuel for cars (but concentrating on fuel efficiency for cars):

auto.xprize.org...

And here's one for alternative energy in general, such as fusion. (It looks like this one is still not official, but is being planned.)

curtrosengren.typepad.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You can get involved in the Auto XPrize right here!

auto.xprize.org...

I signed up!

Here are some articles on Virgin's efforts to combat Climate Change.

environment.guardian.co.uk...

Branson Pledges 3 billion in Transportation Profits to fight Climate Change

[edit on 28-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I really appreciate ya'lls links, I guess I should have researched it alittle better...

Fascinating stuff really, I know I've talked to a few people on here who are actually building engines/turbine engines that have alternative fuel applications and am impressed with that direction of study...

Thanks again.

MBF

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The biggest problem is that it cost so much to develop even minor technology, that most people just don't have the money to get started. A hundred million dollars is a lot of prize money, but the average person doesn't have $100,000 to put into a project that may or may not work. It's too bad because I'm sure that a lot of average people have a lot of good ideas.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That's what Sponsorships are for. The idea is that it will stimulate one or more entrants to put vast sums of money on the table just to say that "they won". And who knows. An idiotically simple idea that no one ever thought of before could get developed as a result of this competition. Let's wait and see. It's early days still and I expect the same criticisms that were targeted at the original XPrize will again surface.

X Prize Overview
We will soon release the competition guidelines for public comment. To be notified when the guidelines are ready, please sign up today.

We don't even know what the deadline is and until they release the guidelines, don't expect many people to be entering the competition. There are many Universities that are waiting for just that, while working on their project "behind the scenes" Rutan-style.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I figured that the University level develpment would be the most innovative, given the proper incentive... I really hope this takes off and we can see something started soon, if for no other reason than to explore what may or may not work...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It is a good idea
i reckon bill gates should offer a £5million reward because he earn enough to spare that much and if its gonna change the world for good thats what everyone wants

MBF

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
That's what Sponsorships are for. The idea is that it will stimulate one or more entrants to put vast sums of money on the table just to say that "they won". And who knows. An idiotically simple idea that no one ever thought of before could get developed as a result of this competition. Let's wait and see. It's early days still and I expect the same criticisms that were targeted at the original XPrize will again surface.

X Prize Overview
We will soon release the competition guidelines for public comment. To be notified when the guidelines are ready, please sign up today.

We don't even know what the deadline is and until they release the guidelines, don't expect many people to be entering the competition. There are many Universities that are waiting for just that, while working on their project "behind the scenes" Rutan-style.

My question is, what would the sponsors want in return for their sponsorship? Would they want to own your idea/invention or just have braging rights?

I have ideas for alternate energy production, but I don't want to just hand them over to others to make millions or billions of dollars and me get nothing.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Usually they'd want the same as a University would, a stake in the company and intellectual property. You wouldn't lose control, you'd just have to share ownership. For corporate teams(not sponsorships), the engineers probably get a stake in the IP as well. It'd be foolish not too as that is great leverage to get your engineers to work proficiently.

If you sign a deal make sure you get a lawyer to read the find print and translate it for you. It's always good to know a lawyer for situations like this if you're an inventor.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullet Proof
It is a good idea
i reckon bill gates should offer a £5million reward because he earn enough to spare that much and if its gonna change the world for good thats what everyone wants

Bill Gates is more interested in Fighting Aids at the moment. He is donating the bulk of his fortune to his own foundation. Hopefully some of that money will go towards sustainable development in Africa.

MBF

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Usually they'd want the same as a University would, a stake in the company and intellectual property. You wouldn't lose control, you'd just have to share ownership. For corporate teams(not sponsorships), the engineers probably get a stake in the IP as well. It'd be foolish not too as that is great leverage to get your engineers to work proficiently.

If you sign a deal make sure you get a lawyer to read the find print and translate it for you. It's always good to know a lawyer for situations like this if you're an inventor.

I wouldn't have a problem with sharing ownership. Part of something is better than all of nothing, which is where I am now. When I worked for a company, we had to sign an agreement that the company owned any ideas that we came up with that concerned the operation or production in the company.

It may pay you to have more than one lawyer read over any agreement that you may come up with. My lawyer screwed me over big time on my last case.

Any ideas as to where to find sponsors?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Alternative energy is dangerous and therefore will lead only to dangerous circumstances and dangerous consequences.

Let me say it like this: alternative energy is worthless and a waste of time, and is not worth spending money on the research. I have read direct quotes from oil executives who have said this and I must agree. This kind of lame thinking will only put our country in peril and in place it in harms way.

But spending $10 million to give to a group of college students who went through the menial task of building a car that runs on alcohol (something I did back in the 7th grade btw!) is also a waste of time. But if it keeps the sheep in the pasteur, I am all about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Alternative energy is dangerous and therefore will lead only to dangerous circumstances and dangerous consequences.

I hope you were being sarcastic, cuz if you weren't, I feel sorry for you. The less we are Dependant on Mid-East oil the SAFER we are. Not the opposite.

Also there's this whole Climate Change thing that's increasing uncertainty for all of us.

alternative energy is worthless and a waste of time, and is not worth spending money on the research. I have read direct quotes from oil executives who have said this and I must agree. This kind of lame thinking will only put our country in peril and in place it in harms way.

So just because the Oil executives say it's a waste of time, it's made up your mind?
And you have the gall of mentioning that this will only keep the sheep in line? OMG! You must work for Shell. It's the only explanation for such self-delusion.

I smell a FUD flamebait here.

EDIT: After going through your posts you are nuthin but a troll.

[edit on 5-1-2007 by sardion2000]

MBF

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soitenly

Let me say it like this: alternative energy is worthless and a waste of time, and is not worth spending money on the research.

Exactly what planet are you from? Oil will not last forever.

I have read direct quotes from oil executives who have said this and I must agree. This kind of lame thinking will only put our country in peril and in place it in harms way.

And who do you think will benefit by us not developing alternate energy scources?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'd love to work for Royal Dutch Shell. The truth is, if we do not secure the oil in this world, someone else will. That means someone else will control the market. The value of the US dollar is based upon how much oil we can sell, how much technology we can sell and how many concessions we can recieve to develop projection for Petrobas, Aramco, Lukoil and other oil and gas companies controlled by state governments directly.

Thinking that we can dump and discard the 100 plus years that Americans have been pouring their lives into and spending contless dollars to develop the means necessary not only to pump oil out of the ground in some of the most dangerous and unforgiven places on earth, and at the sametime process the oil into the desired products which now the world demands at an ever increasing rate greater than any before witnessed in history, would put this country in great peril. Meeting these demands at the consumers desired cost and within an adequate amount of time is an endless journey which demands discipline, mistakes and forgiveness.

The US Navy, the US Army and the US Air Force cannot overhaul their infrastructure to obtain the fuels their war machines run on simply to appease a few absent minded people. Oil has been traded by civilizations for thousands of years and has been used for thousands more. The wars fought to gain access to, the empires built to compete for and the lives ruined as a result to obtain the elixir of life, WILL NOT GO AWAY. Pharmaceuticals, lubricants, plastics, foams, dyes, paints, films, solvents of all kinds are a result of the obtainment and processing of crude oil.

ALTERNATIVE ENERGY IS WEAK

Any alternative means of supplying fuel will only burn more fuel, increase the time frame at which these products can meet demand and which ultimately means these products will cost more than our now conventional fuels. And it is not only oil executives or heads of state who are making these claims. I have a professor who has been quoted in many forms that 'alternative sources and renewable sources of obtaining energy are not worth the cost and are ultimately dangerous'. Alternative energy quite simply put, is not alternative energy. It is the issue of alternative sources to obtain energy that are at stake. Mulch piles and algae are no mach for oil, gas and coal.

The same goes for coal. It is not going anywhere. And it takes a great deal of time and fossil fuel to mine for uranium which is far more scarce and in less abundant supply than coal, oil or natural gas.

Overhauling our infrastructure will only lead to disaster.

[edit on 6-1-2007 by Soitenly]

[edit on 6-1-2007 by Soitenly]

MBF

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soitenly
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY IS WEAK

Any alternative means of supplying fuel will only burn more fuel, increase the time frame at which these products can meet demand and which ultimately means these products will cost more than our now conventional fuels.

You are making the assumption that any alternate fuel will come from existing oil supplies to make that new scource.

And it is not only oil executives or heads of state who are making these claims.

In a lot of cases, these are the same people or at least they have close ties. They DON'T want alternate energy scources developed because THEY will lose money.

I have a professor who has been quoted in many forms that 'alternative sources and renewable sources of obtaining energy are not worth the cost and are ultimately dangerous'. Alternative energy quite simply put, is not alternative energy. It is the issue of alternative sources to obtain energy that are at stake. Mulch piles and algae are no mach for oil, gas and coal.

What field is this professor in? He/she must not be in the science or engineering field.

Overhauling our infrastructure will only lead to disaster.

NOT overhauling our infrastructure and the way we use energy will lead to disaster. I think that within 50 years that not only this country, but the entire world will be in a big mess if we don't start making changes now.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I want to rub oil onto a piece of canvas, but the goddamn hippies are flooding the country with their tears of man your killing mother earth and raping her

Nothing last forever....good point.

Timber does not last forever.

Salt does not last forever.

Our resources do not last forever.

Get over it, we need oil, we need timber and we need salt. What do you want to do about it: crawl in the fetal position and I'll be there in five minutes. Good night.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join