It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Atlantis SRB Camera Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Amazing video captured by the cameras on the side of the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) as they're blown clear of the space shuttle Atlantis during the launch of STS-115.

It sure makes alot of crazy sounds as its coming back to earth

jra

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I've seen two other vids taken from the SRB's, but I haven't seen this view, nor did the others have sound. It's neat how you can see the smoke trail from the launch in the distance at around 2:30 into the video.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I really like the video where the back of the Shuttle is seen accelerating out of the SRB's path. I think it's also from STS-115, but I dunno.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That was great!

I thought it was really interesting how the 2 SRB's tumbled almost exactly in the same manner and at the same rate -- Notice how the other booster stays in an almost identical orientation (horizontal) relative to "our" booster's orientation.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Nice Vids, but surely there is something more......
Intrigueing? to see out in space.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Of course there is, and we have lots of pictures of other things. To be fair, this isn't even in space, since the boosters separate at about 45km, not even halfway up to space. It's still beautiful, though.

The video I was thinking of is this one:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Wow very cool, is there any other videos like that?

[edit on 30-12-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Nice!

An almost eerie quality.
A hypnotic, edge of space, ballet.
You almost feel as if you are there.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I thought you couldn't hear sound in space?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6

Why wouldent you be able to hear sound in space? Sound waves would travil vast distances in space because there wouldent be anything to ubstruct them. and besides theres a mic on the SRB that picked up the sounds.

Actualy it makes me wonder what they would hear if they just stuck a microphone outside of the shuttle or ISS

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Why wouldent you be able to hear sound in space? Sound waves would travil vast distances in space because there wouldent be anything to ubstruct them. and besides theres a mic on the SRB that picked up the sounds.

Actualy it makes me wonder what they would hear if they just stuck a microphone outside of the shuttle or ISS

whatukno - You CANNOT here sounds in space. Sound needs a medium to travel through. Space, although not a total vacuum, can be effectively thought of as a vacuum. Sound cannot travel through a vacuum. A sound wave would need some type of matter to propogate through. (source en.wikipedia.org...

And, as we all know from the movie "Alien", In space no one can hear you scream.

having said all that....

Originally posted by danwild6

danwild6 - As cdrn posted above, when the SRB's detach, the shuttle is not in space yet, but still in our atmosphere. cdrn says the the SRB separation happens at an altitude of 45 km (27 miles). "Outer space" has been official defined as 100 km up (60 miles). So, at 45 km there is still enough atmosphere to allow a sound wave to propogate.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You can see the other booster land at the 5:34 mark in the upper left hand corner. Amazing how close together they land.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Yeah it blows my mind how the human brain can be so smart while mine is so dumb lol

new topics

top topics

join