It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Abortion is outlawed Womens rights to vote will be the next target

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The title says it all if Women lose the right to to choose what they do with there body's. Remember that If the Pro life's win the war it will be the beginning of a landslide and the next target would be Universal Suffrage and after that people will go after a Womens right to vote.

Even if your not a fan of Abortion you should defend a womens right to choose.
Would rather defend a womens right to choose or a womens right to vote ?
Always remember the kind of people who oppose Abortion often require a target in order to come up with there absurd conspiracy's . If you have been labeled anti American for being against the war in Iraq you have been one of there targets.

If you want Nut Jobs like this guy then oppose Abortion.

I urge people to make there stand on Abortion and on other issues in order to preserve Womens rights.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Womens right to vote is in the Constitution. (Don't want to repeal this because it gives ME 2 votes!)

A womens right to abortion is not in the Constitution.

They do not go hand in hand.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

under the supreme court ruling of roe v wade
the right to choose is part of a woman's right to privacy
and the right to privacy IS in the constitution

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

under the supreme court ruling of roe v wade
the right to choose is part of a woman's right to privacy
and the right to privacy IS in the constitution

I don't think it is! But if it is, could you show me?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Even most people who support abortion think Roe v. Wade was an extremely bad Supreme Court opinion that basically just made up new things that don't exist in the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Somehow I might not have been clear about the topic at hand. I never raised Roe vs Wade due to the fact it is a bit off the topic at hand.

Do the members who have posted on this thread think that if abortion is outlawed other rights that women have fought so hard for will be the next target ?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yes, I agree that if abortion is outlawed, many of the rights that women have in the US (and OZ) will be gradually eroded.

Women's rights will go first...then they will start on the men.

Please indulge me and let me say this...

My profession has made me realise that the decision to terminate a pregnancy creates a huge moral dilemma for any woman, regardless of her age. The reasoning is that these women are usually in a desperate situation without a support network (no family or partner) or are fearful of what the future may bring, especially if the partner is abusive. Often these women do not enjoy the socio economic benefits that most of us are used to and the easy solution for them is an abortion. Abortion is a desperate solution but a personal choice. Women in this situation already feel like crap and do not need the added burden of some bloody Right to Lifer in their ear making them feel like a criminal.

Woman are able to make an informed choice and can be assured that they can undergo a safe, sterile termination of the pregnancy with a properly trained surgeon in a well run clinic or hospital (in Oz anyway).

If abortion is outlawed, women will source a willing practitioner, or untrained backyard abortionist (for an obscene amount of money) and perhaps not in the most sterile of conditions in some back alley. Illegal abortions lead to death, mutilation and even more psychological damage because there is no follow up network for the woman.

How bloody archaic is that ?? Yeah let's all go back to the last century.

I am really sick to death of MEN trying to enforce their views on women, in particular with regard to the abortion issue.

our bodies...our decisions...our lives...do not dare tell us what we can and can not do

Hope I made a litlle sense

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My main issue with abortion is the battle over parental notification laws. I believe that a minor should not have that responsibility placed upon them.

As far as the main topic, no I don't see abortion rights tied in with other rights such as suffrage. And abortion is not a yes/no question as far as I am concerned. Take partial birth abortion, for example. Take what Tiller the Baby Killer is doing in Kansas. Those are not straight yes or no topics.

Originally posted by xpert11
Always remember the kind of people who oppose Abortion often require a target in order to come up with there absurd conspiracy's .

Oh, that's funny! You talk about absurd conspiracies here, on ATS?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I don't think it is! But if it is, could you show me?

A "right to privacy" is not enumerated in the Constitution, but is inherent in several enumerated rights, including those specified in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Amendments.

And don't forget the 9th, which states that because a right isn't enumerated doesn't mean it's denied.

And then there are the many Supreme Court decisions which have established that the right to privacy is a basic human right.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Even most people who support abortion think Roe v. Wade was an extremely bad Supreme Court opinion

Really? Do you have a source for that?

Originally posted by xpert11
Do the members who have posted on this thread think that if abortion is outlawed other rights that women have fought so hard for will be the next target ?

I certainly think other rights of certain people could be targeted. I think the actions being taken against the Constitution recently should be a warning sign to us all. Because if our rights (enumerated or inherent) can be messed with, then there's nothing stopping the same people from messing with the 2nd Amendment, the 22nd...

How would everyone feel about having all the guns taken from the public and then having the president be 'elected' for another term or 6?

Things that are Not in the Constitution

Innocent until proven guilty
The Right to Vote
Number of Justices in the Supreme Court

And MANY more... Interesting read.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Even most people who support abortion think Roe v. Wade was an extremely bad Supreme Court opinion

Really? Do you have a source for that?

Here are few good links to start:
www.timothypcarney.com...
Washington Post

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
djohnsto77, while those sources show that pro-choice criticisms of Roe v Wade exists, they don't support your statement that "most people who support abortion think Roe v. Wade was an extremely bad Supreme Court opinion". That's what I was asking about. I think you'll find that by a huge margin, most pro-choice people support Roe v Wade.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I guess I should have made my meaning clearer by saying "most people who know anything about and care anything about the law and the Constitution"

My bad.

[edit on 7/2/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It is my right to choose what I will or won't do with my body. I am forced to agree if a woman's right to choose what to do with her body is eliminated there will a group that will try and abridge more and more of our rights. It wasn't so long ago that we not only didn't have the right to vote but we couldn't buy property without our husband's permission. We couldn't work where we wanted to and we certainly didn't get paid what a man doing the same work did. Promotions in the work place were few and far between.

Women still face and uphill battle today although it is getting better then when I was younger.

Abortion rights should be protected. Starting to abridge women's rights will eventually lead to men's rights being abridged as well. Men and women together make a great team. We need to ensure that we can continue to work together as a team; together we can accomplish much.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't think women's right to vote would be in any immediate danger..

but, well, some of the most effective methods of birth control is considered to be about the same as abortion...it kills the egg after fertilization...so they would probably be the next target.

and well, I don't think women have much of a chance to hold their own in the workplace, if they can't control the number of children they bring into the world.

so, our right to be gainfully employed would be affected.

also, many of these women, if effective methods of birth control is taken away, will resort to the most effective method of all...abstinance......weather married or not...which I imagine will not make many men happy...

this might cause a shift in attitudes backwards to the days when the men were indeed the king of the castle.

once women are again considered just the servents of men...well, then their right to vote will be in danger.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
First let me say initially that I think abortion is abhorrent and vile...

HOWEVER

Like most things, the Government needs to STAY OUT OF PEOPLES PERSONAL BUSINESS!!!!

To directly address the OP, no, I do not think that Abortion has anything, or ever will have anything to do with any other rights... I think that is a HUGE stretch...

Again, HOWEVER... HAHAHAHAHAHA

GH is correct in that several Amendments do address the "Right" to privacy, most directly one should look at the 4th Amendment..

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The words, "Secure in their persons" I believe is directly related to what GH was referencing...

Semper

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
djohnsto77, while those sources show that pro-choice criticisms of Roe v Wade exists, they don't support your statement that "most people who support abortion think Roe v. Wade was an extremely bad Supreme Court opinion". That's what I was asking about. I think you'll find that by a huge margin, most pro-choice people support Roe v Wade.

Emphasis added.

I think that is one of those truths that we find to be self-evident.

Criticism of Roe v Wade does not imply lack of support. One can criticize the ruling and still support the concept.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Originally posted by dawnstar
so, our right to be gainfully employed would be affected.

Where would that right be enumerated?

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
kind of think that the right to employment would be as self evident as the right to the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, especially in a country that oh so much values their freedom and independence.
since in this age, often the road to independent living involves employment??

the christian right, the loudest voices against abortion also wants to eliminate divorce, restore man into their "proper role" within the family structure, and thus demote women back into her "proper role"..
many of the methods of birth control could be argued to be a type of abortion, since they don't actually prevent the egg from being fertilized, they just make the uterus very hostile to the fertilized egg to develope in. thus, a ruling against abortion could easily be followed by rulings against these other forms of abortion.
thus, taking that option off the table when it comes to women's ability to control the number of children she happens to bring into the world. if she cannot control this, it will be very difficult for her to earn the money that SHE may feel is needed to care for the children she is responsible for.
if you add into this a movement to convince men to take back their role as the "head" of the family....thus the wife is subject to him in all things....well...one of the results would be a little more pressure not to say no to him in the bedroom...thus taking that option off the table.
if a women has children, it is very possible that she will not be able to earn the money that SHE believes is necessary to care for her family...
and of course, if man resumes the role of "head" it means that it is he who should decide if she works, it is he who decides how much money is needed to care for the children, and it is he who has the power to decide how many kids are to be born...

now take away the women's right to separate from this man, who determines she should have 6 kids, and that only half the paycheck is suitable for their care, and that she shouldn't be working since, that would require him to take charge of the kids...and well...what do you have??
if not a nice humble little slave willing to do whatever she is asked to do for a few more morsels of food for the many kids that she really didn't want to begin with...
slaves are not allowed to vote!!
and...
we have made laws against slavery...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Those who are against abortion, I find, usually couldn't care about the fetus. In fact the minute that cord is cut, it's on its own. Rather, these people see pregnancy as a punishment for immorality. To the average pro-lifer, a pregnancy is in fact just an STD, a just retribution from God against a licentious woman. You can find this in their arguments - "Well she CHOSE to have sex, she has to deal with the consequences!" - because you know, having sex is supposed to be on par with running the bulls in Barcelona or enlisting during the middle of a war. Well, for women. Pro-lifers rarely expect the man in the equation to stick around and care for the child, the onus always falls right on the woman's head.

And so they want to make abortion illegal. Which would of course return abortion to the dangerous back-alley practices of the 50's and 60's. Well, at least for those women who can't afford the bribes.

Which raises the interesting point... How the hell do you police this? If a woman wants to get rid of an unwanted child, there is an amazing plethora of options at her disposal to do so, and short of strapping her down, you are not going to be able to stop her. So is that what it's going to come down to, hogtying "hysterical" women in a padded room? Are miscarriages going to be investigated as possible homicides?

And... if something is illegal, it absolutely needs a punishment to go with it. So I'm curious. How long of a sentence should a woman who has an abortion get? 20-life? It's a premeditated homicide according to the pro-life corwd, should a woman who gets an abortion be put to death as the law in many states allow for such a crime? What about any children she has, they wwill be put into state care?

new topics

top topics

join