It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Forecasts Become Top Secret in China.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The Chinese government which already supresses much information from China deemed to be critical to national security, now wants to keep weather forecasts from China from falling into the hands of any foreigners. A new regulation which will take effect next year will "clamp down the illegal acquisition of Chinese meteorological information by foreigners".

www.chinapost.com.tw
China's government, which suppresses a range of information deemed threatening to national security, now wants to keep weather forecasts from falling into the wrong hands, state press said Monday.

New regulations to take effect next year will clamp down on the illegal acquisition of Chinese meteorological information by foreigners, the China Daily newspaper reported.

"Illegal meteorological surveys and data collection have infringed China's sovereignty... and threatened the country's security," the paper quoted CMA Vice Minister Zheng Guogang as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Chinese government is giving as excuses for example that the Japanese have built a meteorological station, in Japanese territory, which is close to a Chinese power plant in northern China. The Chinese call this Japanese meteorological station as being "illegal". This year a British group built an observation station for the 2008 Olympic yachting events but it is also near a Chinese military harbor, and apparently the Chinese are not happy about it.

So what is it exactly that the Chinese government fears? Are they doing some sort of weather experiments they don't want "foreigners" to know about? Are they worried that things are going from bad to worse in China and they don't want the world, or their own people to know the situation they are in?

Could this have anything to do with the fact that now the Chinese govenrment apparently fears that grain production will be cut due to global warming?

BEIJING (Reuters) - Global warming threatens to intensify natural disasters and water shortages across China, driving down the country's food output, the Chinese government has warned, even as its seeks to tame energy consumption.

A forthcoming official assessment of the effects of global climate change on China will warn of worsening drought in northern China and increasing "extreme weather events", according to the Ministry of Science and Technology's Web site (www.most.gov.cn) on Wednesday.

today.reuters.com

The Chinese people know less than most foreigners because they don't have the freedom most foreigners have to access free information on the web. Because of this reason the Chinese people are the least of the worries of the CPC. But foreigners are different, most foreigners can speak up without any fears of retaliation by the Chinese government, but as to the real reason why they are doing this, we can only guess, but we might never know.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by Muaddib]

[edit on 27-12-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is pretty bizarre. I'm sure satellites would provide all information needed for any hostile move against China, so I'm not really sure why they would do this.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
That really is odd.

Perhaps they're testing aircraft, that could be seen in meteorological
data.
Especially if they're doing it at lower altitudes in cloudy conditions.

Apart from that, the only reason I could think of, is that the CCP is
just overly paranoid and losing it.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Apart from that, the only reason I could think of, is that the CCP is
just overly paranoid and losing it.

I agree. The CCP are a bunch of paranoid, rich, close minded fools that can't even gain the love and respect of their own people. The Chinese people are not stupid, the younger generation is starting to see pass all the BS pushed out and held back by the Chinese media.

I'm sure satellites would provide all information needed for any hostile move against China, so I'm not really sure why they would do this.

Exactly, if the U.S. or any or any other superior nation (like Japan) wanted weather forecasts, then we would get them. The only thing the CCP is doing is preventing the forecasts from falling into the hands of expats, english teachers and businessmen....you know, real threats

[edit on 27/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is especially odd considering that the Chinese government just released a straight out damaging 'climate change report.'

Besides, we all already know that climate change is a reality, and the weather is wild.

???

What is really going on here? Why the clamp down? Do they have a HAARP equivalent, and don't want anyone to know about it? Or what?

A SECOND THOUGHT:

It did not say how weather information could be used against China by foreign forces.

China strictly controls information such as ...embarrassing environmental and health information seen as possibly capable of triggering unrest.

Perhaps the new regs are more about controlling "embarrassing health information capable of triggering unrest" - or economic impacts - and less about actual meteorological data?

???

[edit on 27-12-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I smell a Climate-Engineering project in the works. They know they are boned if they don't get off the Gas/Oil/Coal paradigm soon and they may think that it's already too late for them... I don't like it, that's all I can say... Perhaps they are afraid that their people may object to such a vast uncontrolled and uncontrollable experiment into climate-control on an industrial scale.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I am not sure of this, but it is very possible this has something to do with that latest report form the Chinese government that

A forthcoming official assessment of the effects of global climate change on China will warn of worsening drought in northern China and increasing "extreme weather events"

But how exactly do they know these "extreme weather events" will start soon?

Why are they doing this now?

It does appear, as some member have mentioned, that perhaps the Chinese government is about to start some sort of weather experiment, which could be seen in weather forecasts.

Although we can't really be sure, I don't know what other reasons they might have to clamp down on all weather information in China.

There might be one other reason, maybe they know, for some reason, that the extreme weather events in China will be extremelly bad, and they are trying to stop all information on what is happening elsewhere in China, to reach the rest of the Chinese population. Perhaps they want to stop riots or civil unrest? But if people know before hand what can happen, they can be better prepared for whatever extreme weather events are on the way in China.

I agree with what some members have said, this is very strange, whatever the reason for the clamping down of weather information in China.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It's probably best to keep weather modification a secret, especially since it could be construed as a hostile action if another country undergoes catastrophic weather because of it.

Regulations on Administration of Weather Modification
Decree of the State Council of the People's Republic of China

Regulations on Administration of Weather Modification, adopted at the 56th Executive Meeting of the State Council on March 13, 2002, are hereby promulgated and shall be effective as of May 1, 2002.

China to improve weather modification service Xinhua
"Since then, great progress has been made in China's weather modification service. From 1995 to 2003, China has become the world's number one in its weather modification service scale," said Qin.

Climate Control, Beijing-Style MSNBC
The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain, but in China? Well, the government will decide.

China’s rainmakers debated whether to induce a strong downpour just before the gala, increasing the chances of blue skies on the big day. “I was on duty,” recalls Zhang. “I intended to modify the weather by using artillery.”

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
But all this is doing is keeping their own people from knowing all the information. It doesn't keep other nations from that information which can be inferred from satellite observations.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
But all this is doing is keeping their own people from knowing all the information. It doesn't keep other nations from that information which can be inferred from satellite observations.

The are banning outsiders from gathering scientific data from weather instrumentation data that is coming from inside China. Considering ground ops are a large part of weather modeling, there's no sense letting inquisitive foreign scientists in on any game plans.

China bans unapproved foreign-related meteorological exploration
The regulation, which takes effect on Jan. 1, 2007, bans foreign-related meteorological exploration stations from military areas and regions that are either closed or crucial to national security.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Good work Regenmacher.

Looks like that's the best explanation: The Chinese are experimenting with weather modification, just like the HAARP stuff, and hoping to keep it all secret, just like the HAARP stuff.

As if we don't have enough problems already.

Can you believe we created this world?

new topics

top topics

join