It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Stephane Dion Give Up His Dual Citizenship?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Now that Stephane Dion has become the leader of the Liberal Party, I thought we could take a bit of an informal poll.

Do you think that:

(A) Stephane Dion should immediately give up his French citizenship.
(B) Stephane can keep his French citizenship for now, but if he becomes Prime Minister it has to go.
(C) Stephane Dion should keep his French citizenship. What's the big deal?
(D) Stephane Dion should keep his French citizenship because it will likely cost him and his party votes.

Why?

I vote for A. I don't really care right now, but I think if someone is our Prime Minister they shouldn't have citizenship in another country. In fact, I insist on it.

The reason I chose A instead of B is because it would be smarter politically for Dion to give it up now, before an election is called, and create some positive press across the country. Then it won't even be an issue when we do have an election. I think it would look better if he did it on his own instead of waiting until the other parties bring it up.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by Duzey]

edited to add option D

[edit on 27-12-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
He has to give it up for the only reason that it will cost him votes. I couldn't care less if he has dual citezenship BUT it will make a difference in the west AND Harper has to go. Take one for the team Stephane.

I'm wagering that he will do just that before the next election. He's a SOLID Canuck.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well, initially I wanted to go with C. What the hell is the big deal? But we would be naive to think that something like this would not come back to bite him in the backside. Come election time, the opposition will do whatever they can to feed us with any sort of negative press on the Liberal party. With Dion at the helm, all eyes are on him. So as much as I think it is a non issue, I understand many will consider it to be one. So with that, I have to submit my ballot with a big ol' A on it.

If he has any intentions on giving it up, he better do it sooner rather than later. I believe if he does it later, it would be a sign of weakness. Doing it now would indicate intelligence and a dedication to our country.

Politics is like anything else in life. You can not keep everyone happy, no matter how hard you try. So in the end, Dion has to look at this issue from a neutral perspective. What is his best move? Obviously becoming the Prime Minister is the ultime goal for himself and his party, so this may become a large strategic move in attaining this goal.

It's unfortunate that we judge people on everything but their own merit. Would he be any less of a leader with a dual citizenship? Of course not, but some would lead us to believe that this just could be the determining factor in where they place their vote.

Duze, if I may, I would like to hear some follow up on why you insist our leaders do not have a dual citizenship.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I don't really have any solid, logical reason for my position. This is one of those emotion things. I think that if someone is going to be the head of our government, they should only be a citizen of one country; ours. MP's can be dual citizens and I don't care, but PM's shouldn't have any allegiance to another country, IMO.

That wouldn't keep me from voting for him, but I would expect him to give it up if he reached the office of PM. Granted, if he reached the office of PM and refused to give it up, it probably wouldn't take me that long to get over it - if he did a good job.

I wonder how his French citizenship plays in Quebec? Does it make him slightly more palatable?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Interesting. Since reading this thread a few days ago, I've actually been thinking about it quite a bit. I see exactly where Duzey comes from and that it would be nice to think of our Leader as a man who has no ties to other countries. I've been thinking if it would be inappropriate that our Prime Minister, the leader of our government, is just a random citizen in another country?

When looking at it from that aspect, I think I would have to agree with you.

Originally posted by Duzey
I wonder how his French citizenship plays in Quebec? Does it make him slightly more palatable?

Now that is a good question. I'm not sure if his French citizenship actually makes him more palatable in Quebec, but would it be a slap in the face to Quebec if he were to give it up?

How would this strategic move we perceived with the French population in Canada?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If we are so shallow in Canada, that we can't allow people to have citizenship in more than one country, what does that say about the Country.

I don't think he should have to give up his citizenship. Not just because it's something he inherited from his mother, but it will not stop him from being a good Prime Minister. If it was a British dual citizenship I doubt we would be having this discussion.

I don't see that someone can not have citizenship for more than one place, as long as we know where his loyalties lie.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
If we are so shallow in Canada, that we can't allow people to have citizenship in more than one country, what does that say about the Country.

We are not discussing people having dual citizenships. This discussion is surrounding one individual, Stephane Dion. And this discussion is only based on whether or not he would give it up, IF, he were Prime Minister. From the few posts this thread has garnered so far, you can see a few statements already that openly permit our citizens and our MP's to have a dual citizenship.

We all have our opinions. I'm still not sure where I come down yet. One foot is firmly set on the Allowing Dual Citizenship side, while the other is fighting its way over. I don't see it as being a big deal, but again in politics, what isn't a big deal.

Unfortunately the term we does not cover every Canadian. And yes, some of us are that shallow.

How many swinging single bachelors do you know are of any political importance? They all live the married life, 2.3 children, dog, paved driveway, etc. It's all about image.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't think if and when he becomes Prime Minister of Canada that he should have to give up his dual citizenship.

I think it will not affect his abiity to be an affective leader. I don't think his loyalty to Canada is in question, and it's not war time, so it's not like we are at war with them. (This would then be a different issue.)

I think in his case it's something that is convient to have. He also has already said he will give it up if that is what it takes to become Prime Minister, it's just I don't see any good reason why he should have to, and again if this was a British citizenship and not French, I don't think we would be having this debate.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Don't worry, I would have posted the same thread for any country he may have held dual citizenship in. It's not a French thing.

The only difference with it being France is that it raises some interesting questions when it comes to Quebec. Will it insult them if he gives it up? Will they like him better if he keeps it? Do they care? Do the Liberals have no chance in Quebec with Dion at the helm, making all of this Quebec talk a moot point?

I've been thinking about this question quite a bit lately, and I can't tell you how much I want to do the mature, open-minded thing and say 'It doesn't matter if he is a dual citizen', but I can't. It strikes a little nationalistic chord in me and I care. I could live with it if it was the only way Dion could win, but I'd rather he only held Canadian citizenship.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Thanks you all,
I get tired of reading about US politics.
I find your discussions interesting and civil.

Not much to add to the debate as I am SO unfamiliar with Canadian politics.
But I AM reading!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I've been thinking about this question quite a bit lately, and I can't tell you how much I want to do the mature, open-minded thing and say 'It doesn't matter if he is a dual citizen', but I can't.

Open minded, Yes. But I disagree on this being about maturity. I don't think any one of us would ever begin to question your maturity Duze, I think it may come down to ethics. This is more of an ethical question than anything I believe.

In front of us we have a situation with no perfect outcome. If he keeps the citizenship, he may insult some Canadians and cost himself some much needed votes. However, if he drops the citizenship, he may insult a country and the French population of Canada. Both end up in someone possibly being insulted, and the possibility of lost votes.

All of the sudden a non-issue because a very sticky situation.

Whatever he does, he needs to sell his decision to the country. Even if he makes the wrong one, stick to your guns and stand by it. We as voters do not want to see weakness. We need to be reminded that our Leader is one of poise, dignity, and strength.

I remain optimistic.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
After giving this even more thought, I have revised my position somewhat. I can do that, I'm a moderate. It would still be my strong preference that any Prime Minister of ours be Canadian, and only Canadian.

But.......

Taking the Quebec situation into account, if it would hand Harper the leadership for Dion to give up his dual citizenship, I would be OK with him keeping it. It would still annoy me, but I would set aside my wishes for the good of Canada. I'm such a patriot.

I want Dion to do whatever gives him the best chance to form government. Besides, he can always give up his French citizenship after he is in office and then Quebec will have to wait to complain for a few years.

I can be optimistic, too.

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Thanks you all,

Gee, thanks. It's always nice to hear there are people reading this forum. You don't need to know anything to contribute, and asking questions is the best way to learn.

It is a remarkably civil and polite forum, isn't it? Bloody stereotypical group of Canucks posting in it. :shk:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Anyone would want to keep their French citizenship?
Anyone who is an elected official should only be a citizen in one country.
Watch out if Hilary loses to Obama, should could move to Canada and get duals and run for PM. Its a sign of the Apocalypse.

new topics

top topics

join