It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi and her merry band of democrats will steal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingman77

Watch a film called "The Corporation" and you'll see whats up.

Watch that film if you want leftwing propaganda

What is a corporation?

They make toilet paper, cars, toothpaste, medicine, soda pop, houses, washing machines, clothes, hairdryers, lollypops, computers, ice-cream, and a whole bunch of stuff that most people like.

If you hate corporations don’t buy any of that stuff

I see what you mean anyone that would dare make things that people want and need are pure evil.

The leftwing mind, go figure!

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sleeper

What is a corporation?

They make toilet paper, cars, toothpaste, medicine, soda pop, houses, washing machines, clothes, hairdryers, lollypops, computers, ice-cream, and a whole bunch of stuff that most people like.

If you hate corporations don’t buy any of that stuff

I see what you mean anyone that would dare make things that people want and need are pure evil.

The leftwing mind, go figure!

This is not a left wing issue. The problem with the laws in dealing with Corporations is that the Corporations are treated like people. Yet, they do not breath, eat or sleep. There is no flesh, but they are protected by laws that people do not have...

There is nothing evil about Corporations, I own 2 of them, but the reason I own them is for protection, tax breaks, and the ability to manage money differently than if I were a single individual tax payer. The problem lies in our Congress, they are the ones making the laws that allow Corporations to get their start in the USA, receive the tax breaks and then take the mature process to off shore countries and get paid to do this. The veil that Corporations enjoy is now a burden for the American population. Why should a global company such as HP get American tax breaks when the ownership COULD be totally foreign? The work force COULD be entirely made up of foreign nationals...

I deal with a company that is American based for tax purposes but their Accounts Receivables/Payables are in Asia. The money does not stay here.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Corporations aren't supposed to have "the best interest of the people" in mind, they're supposed to be out for themselves. History has shown the best thing for the people as a whole is to have free enterprise where individuals who are bright and work hard can do the best for themselves.

If you want to look at governments that quashed free enterprise for the supposed "best interest of the people" such as the Soviet Union, they've been disasters.

I agree,

But will add that corporations are people, they are not machines, although sometimes it seems like they are, and there are good people and not so good people behind them, those at the top, middle and at the bottom rung---all contribute to the good or bad image of the company.

That’s why the rule of the day is always Caveat emptor, buyer beware

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by blanddad

This is not a left wing issue. The problem with the laws in dealing with Corporations is that the Corporations are treated like people. Yet, they do not breath, eat or sleep. There is no flesh, but they are protected by laws that people do not have...

It is a leftwing issue; the left has singled out corporations and attacks them in movies, the media, and in politics.

Corporations are people using a brand name as their identity and they serve to protect individuals from liabilities that corporation may face---criminal activity is not protected.

The veil that Corporations enjoy is now a burden for the American population. Why should a global company such as HP get American tax breaks when the ownership COULD be totally foreign? The work force COULD be entirely made up of foreign nationals...

We are now dealing with globalization; we can’t run and hide in the mountains anymore because we are a world with nearly seven billion people on it.

Times and things are changing at a rapid pace, some of us don’t like it but what is the alternative? Not many of us can live the pastoral lives as they did a hundred years ago.

The internet is causing many small mom and pop business to expand around the planet should we put a stop to that?

I deal with a company that is American based for tax purposes but their Accounts Receivables/Payables are in Asia. The money does not stay here.

Money is not static it flows, and America will always get the lions share of it, unless the new congress creates barriers to stop it.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
First off, nobody in their right mind should be planning to retire on social security and pension alone, this is not possible, well it is possible if you want to live somewhere near the poverty line.

Corporations enjoy many different tax breaks, and if consumers were educated enough when it comes to taxes they would also know how to evade taxes. I make $70,000 a year and pay tax as if I were making $15,000/year. I'm single, unmarried, with no children. How do I manage? Write off's. I'm not self employed either.

Do you use your car to get to and from work? write off the mileage on your taxes, write off a portion of your insurance. Hell if you do ANYTHING work related write it off.

Also look into other options that permit tax deffered growth. An IRA is nice but you cant touch it until your 59 1/2, unless you want to lose 10%, plus you can only put in $4000/yr unless your over age 50. Look into variable universal life insurance(VUL). Grows like an IRA but you can get the money out tax free before 59 1/2 and get life insurance coverage at the same time, this is where all the fat cats hide their money, because its an insurance policy first is is goverened by the rules of insurance, not investments, there is no cap as to how much you pump into a VUL.

The left is going to destroy corporations? I don't think so, I think they are going to help shift the tax burden from citizens to corporations. Oil companies making billions in profits a year. This country is run by its citizens for its citizens, not for the corporations, oh wait what am I talking about, that was how it is supposed to be.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
>>>>We are now dealing with globalization; we can’t run and hide in the mountains anymore because we are a world with nearly seven billion people on it.

Times and things are changing at a rapid pace, some of us don’t like it but what is the alternative? Not many of us can live the pastoral lives as they did a hundred years ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho

The left is going to destroy corporations? I don't think so, I think they are going to help shift the tax burden from citizens to corporations. Oil companies making billions in profits a year. This country is run by its citizens for its citizens, not for the corporations, oh wait what am I talking about, that was how it is supposed to be.

Lots of sound advice until you got to the end and started blaming corporation for everything.

Corporations are people doing business under their logo.

And people pay taxes on their incomes and profits from corporation or the chicken farm, makes no difference where they make their money it is taxed.

We tax the corporations, which is double taxation for the owners, and we can put them out of business with over taxation, happens every day and makes lots of lefties happy. Whatever makes you happy, it’s the American way I guess.

This country is run by millions of citizens that own their own companies as well as citizens that make $70,000 dollars working for those dreaded companies.

Or did that $70,000 grow on a tree in your backyard? If so can you tell me how to get one of them trees?---

Heck I’m all for taxing the crap out of corporations and spreading their wealth around, problem is that only kills them or runs them out of town, or country.

Can’t have a golden goose laying eggs, creating jobs, if we cook the goose and eat it

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

The big difference with globalization and the internet is that one will compulsory and the a choice. All of the GATTS, NAFTAs, et al are a forced way of conducting business. Why in the world is it considered a treaty? Because it can be controlled by the government, yet it is private or public corporations, small employee owned businesses that will have to comply with the regulations.

When free enterprise as we have here in the US meets other forms of enterprise which varies with each country we are stuck with madding bureaucracy. The big corporations have the advantage because they have the resources and manpower to deal with the thousands of legalities.

Should we make things even more complicated by hampering those companies that have figured out how to breach all those barriers in order to level the playing field? That would be like throwing gasoline into the fire. It would destroy our multinational companies and give the edge to the foreign state owned multinational companies. And the losers would be the average American.

A big difference between the two examples you gave. This is a burden on the small companies as they have to develop a large infrastructure to compete with the already established Corps. Why do you think the corner Diner is going away and the grocery stores are mostly chains? I am not against a Corporation, I am just against the one sided advantages they get over the owner/operator Business. We are Generica!

Should we make it law that people frequent the corner diner, verses the bigger, cheap, and more choices restaurant?

We call this a free country because we are free to choose where we eat or buy our clothes and cars.

Should we outlaw buying foreign cars, wine, food products etc to protect American jobs?

That’s a two way street, millions of American jobs depend on foreigners buying our stuff.

I am not left wing but I am not in favor of Corporations having more rights than individuals.

Corporation don’t have more rights than individuals, in fact they give extra rights to individuals such as yourself, they protect you from some liabilities, you stated you have two corporations for that very reason.

By the way, just because people work for a Corporation it does not make the Corporation human. Corporations have a life of their own... just ask Ted Turner or the David Packard family.

All corporations are owned and managed by humans.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawnna

However, I think the bigger issue is the widening gap between corporate executive and worker compensation. Perhaps if those running these corporations had a sense of service, there wouldn't be any impetus for any government intervention whatsoever.

What anyone here in the US makes is really no ones business if they made it legally. If you hired someone to be over your company as CEO, who is to tell you other than the board of directors what you pay them?

And how do we know that those fat cats are not plowing millions into charities? Not everyone makes public their donations.

And Enron, well if millions of ordinary people who held the stock didn’t panic and sell it Enron would still be here today.

People seem to want to blame a few top dogs, because that makes them feel better, the fact is panic and a large dose of government over-regulation is what brought down Enron.

The democrats are not going to do anything? Are you that snow blinded by the (R) and (D) besides these morons names? It's a power struggle...think of the political landscape like a NASCAR race..You have the Republicans who have sponcers like Exxon/Mobile etc. and you have the Democrats who have all the green peace org's behind them. And in the end they are racing for your vote and if your dumb enough to vote for them they might throw you a tax break that does you no good if you alone do not make 150k a year or they might give you free health care? But in the end they ARE THE SAME....

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm surprised that so many members here are die hard supporters of corporate interest.
Does anyone who critiques the operations of corporations need to be attacked and labeled 'leftwing'? I'm not here to place labels on anyone, I'm here to discuss issues that are having a negative effect on society and to imagine solutions through civil discourse.

We do need factories to produce the goods necessary for a comfortable existence, but placing more accountability on ALL corporations (foreign and domestic) could be very beneficial for people around the world.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan

The democrats are not going to do anything? Are you that snow blinded by the (R) and (D) besides these morons names? It's a power struggle...think of the political landscape like a NASCAR race..You have the Republicans who have sponcers like Exxon/Mobile etc. and you have the Democrats who have all the green peace org's behind them. And in the end they are racing for your vote and if your dumb enough to vote for them they might throw you a tax break that does you no good if you alone do not make 150k a year or they might give you free health care? But in the end they ARE THE SAME....

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Well you told us your OPINION, and that’s all it is.

And what makes you think that anyone should value your opinion above all others?

If you can’t tell the difference then you are only one of millions around the world that are equally uninformed about American politics.

There is no difference, it's the same old Machiavellian divide and conquer. There are many on here that would agree.

That’s why democracy is teetering on the edge of oblivion.

Poppycock.

Surprised that this thread is still here, seems that it should have been carried off to the Majical land of PTS long ago, with it's constant political subjects, something I thought we were trying to keep out of ATS.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Poppycock.

Is that clown a picture of you or are you making a political opinion about the president?

I say it takes a clown to know a clown---but that’s strictly my opinion---

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
first I am reading how some corporations had managed to finish the year not only not owing the gov't any money, but getting money from the government...which went to pay increases for the upper management of course, since they've done such a good job bringing in the profits.

then, there's the poor corporation, overtaxed, unfairly.

as far as the amount the top management of any corporation goes, I agree, for the most part, it isn't my business...unless, they are getting gov't handouts, unless, of course, I am a stock holder...unless of course, the majority of their employees are relying on hud, welfare, food stamps, or medicaid to take care of them!! I"m sorry, but if their extravagant salaries makes it necessary for government money to be used to run their company (and I am including social service handouts as part of this)...then it is the taxpayers business!!! we're the ones paying for the danged extravagant lifestyle.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
first I am reading how some corporations had managed to finish the year not only not owing the gov't any money, but getting money from the government...which went to pay increases for the upper management of course, since they've done such a good job bringing in the profits.

Hundreds of minority and woman owned corporations get those bonuses and government handouts that you speak of, feel free to complain to your congressmen/woman.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I'm surprised that so many members here are die hard supporters of corporate interest.
Does anyone who critiques the operations of corporations need to be attacked and labeled 'leftwing'? I'm not here to place labels on anyone, I'm here to discuss issues that are having a negative effect on society and to imagine solutions through civil discourse.

We do need factories to produce the goods necessary for a comfortable existence, but placing more accountability on ALL corporations (foreign and domestic) could be very beneficial for people around the world.

Companies in American are heavily regulated, but people are not, perhaps that should change.

For example life would be better if more people understood the basics, keep children in school, don’t let them out after dark, don’t let them run with the wrong crowd. Teach them proper nutrition; help them with school work, etc.

There are hundreds of simple things parents can do to make life better for their children yet many parents don’t make the effort.

Perhaps we should regulate families half as much as we regulate corporations?

Many families are not bringing up their children correctly, maybe we should have government people inspect every home and make sure that they are doing it right---after all wouldn’t that be good for society?

We can have freedom and rights or we can hand our lives over to some bureaucrat to manage for us---the way they see fit.

Which do you think would be better?

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Hundreds of minority and woman owned corporations get those bonuses and government handouts that you speak of, feel free to complain to your congressmen/woman.

Good luck!

doesn't matter who owns them, if they are giving their upper management, ceo's and the like such outrageous incomes....it's quite obvious that they don't need our tax money to ensure thier business success, or to feed, cloth, house, and provide medical care for their employees. you seem to think it's all the dems doing.....but, well, how much money was gifted to the drug companies by bush? bet their top managers get nice increases and their incomes after that...what about the little guys in the company, ya know, the janitors, the clerical workers and such....I wonder how many of them are eating up taxdollars through the social service programs, just to pay for the drugs that they helped produce! which by the way....they haven't gone down any either, have they? it's not just a dems....the republicans go out of their way to ensure their business buddies get taxdollars, then the dems enable those same companies to avoid doing their moral and civic duties by taking care of their employees by further expanding the social programs....add the two groups together, and they're poison to a "free market". they're running hand in hand..
as far as the dems killing the pension programs.....ummmm, they've been dying for awhile now, what has bush and the republicans done to save them?

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

as far as the dems killing the pension programs.....ummmm, they've been dying for awhile now, what has bush and the republicans done to save them?

We have a new Democrat controlled congress now because Bush and the Republicans were accused of giving tax breaks to corporation.

That’s what they were doing to help save the pension funds---but the liberals put an evil spin on it and Americans fell for it.

The only way to save some pension funds is by government tax dollars infused back into them---dems called it tax breaks for corporations rather than saving pension funds for millions of workers.

Most minority corporations will fold without a constant infusion of tax dollars---those tax dollars come from healthy corporations through increased burdensome taxes that eventually break the healthy and productive corporations---it’s a vicious circle created by the Democrats' desired to tax the crap out of good corporations to keep the bad ones from folding.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

That is such a ignorant comment. Are your sources anything different?

I am afraid they probably arent....

[edit on 29-12-2006 by tha stillz]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Corporation don’t have more rights than individuals, in fact they give extra rights to individuals such as yourself, they protect you from some liabilities, you stated you have two corporations for that very reason.

You need to read my post with better vision or reasoning. I said I own 2 Corporations because they protect me... I have greater protection by being a Corporation than by being an individual... flat out fact!

All corporations are owned and managed by humans.

Don't be so sophmoric and condescending in your answers. OF COURSE all Corporations are run by humans. If you can't address what I am saying, just say so instead of giving rediculous remarks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join