It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Intelligence been seen?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ok abit of an abstract thought here. (like 90% of all my thoughts) After taking a few IQ test just for curiosity, it turns out I'm fairly gifted in that department. Also I've never had any major trouble attracting the opposite gender, this got me wondering if it's just a pheromone thing or something else.
Since I've made myself aware of not only a persons attractiveness but also what I perceive their relative intelligence to be. Now I know I tend to hang out with people of my general intelligence level, just as it's where I'm most comfortable. But now I see that I don�t really have any "rear end horse friends" either.
So is it possible that a persons looks (facial) are related to that persons intelligence? It would explain why all the chisel jaw guys get the ladies, as they would have a better set of DNA to pass on to the next generation.
Or I could merely be going insane again
, just curious to know others thoughts?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by feygan
Ok abit of an abstract thought here. (like 90% of all my thoughts) After taking a few IQ test just for curiosity, it turns out I'm fairly gifted in that department. Also I've never had any major trouble attracting the opposite gender, this got me wondering if it's just a pheromone thing or something else.
Since I've made myself aware of not only a persons attractiveness but also what I perceive their relative intelligence to be. Now I know I tend to hang out with people of my general intelligence level, just as it's where I'm most comfortable. But now I see that I don�t really have any "rear end horse friends" either.
So is it possible that a persons looks (facial) are related to that persons intelligence? It would explain why all the chisel jaw guys get the ladies, as they would have a better set of DNA to pass on to the next generation.

you are not a unique snowflake....you are a selfish theorist, who ends up looking in the mirror far too many times' per day

the good news is...so am i

on a more cruel note, i would advise you to lay off relating such a lame theory, we all like to think we were created for a purpose..it is this purpose that drives us, motivating our every day activities.
you see, you are not in fact special, you are just as slow as the next good looking clueless person trying to judge the 6billion out there by a few experiences.
sorry to come down on you so harshly, but i am so opposite what constitutes "you" in a mental sort of way..i hate my good looks, i hate the fact that i get girls, i hate the fact that im too inteligent i have virutally no friends i can relate to

i hate to brag, i hate to hang out in groups.. i go against anything any1 says not for the purpose of right or wrong, but simply for debunking's sake

does that help?
a leader with no followers...you are, a follower of a pack i assume, definitely no leader.
you are 16 or 17 i presume? let's crossreference notes and see how much does the average good looking american differ to this down-to-earth ukranian

Peace bro,
Cyrus

[Edited on 6-12-2003 by Cyrus]

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
LoL...yeah..I also like spending alot of time alone, though, don't get me wrong, I have hundreds of friends. But, I believe being a leader goes farther than being a follower...just my opinion.

BTW: Whered ya get the IQ tests..sounds kinda fun! lol

-wD

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hmm figured I'd offend at least a few people, so firstly I'm 24, I'm Irish not american. I've never thought myself arrogant, I worded it badly, I guess I should have just said that I've been told I'm attractive enough time to know it.
As for my intellect, well I'm no Newton or Pasteur but I know I can hold my own well enough, and if thrown a new skill to learn I can do so resonably quickly and compently.
I'm just curious as to whether the two have any bearing on each other.
While histories greates minds may not have been Time magazine covers models, many people regarded as Intelligent are also regarded as attractive. It's also the wonderful cliche that women say they want an intelligent partner (male or female) so is it just an attractive trait, or does it really have a physical effect?

You can get IQ tests just about anywhere, just be sure to do a few and get an adverage.

[Edited on 6-12-2003 by feygan]

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Hmm figured I'd offend at least a few people, so firstly I'm 24, I'm Irish not american. I've never thought myself arrogant, I worded it badly, I guess I should have just said that I've been told I'm attractive enough time to know it.
As for my intellect, well I'm no Newton or Pasteur but I know I can hold my own well enough, and if thrown a new skill to learn I can do so resonably quickly and compently.
I'm just curious as to whether the two have any bearing on each other.
While histories greates minds may not have been Time magazine covers models, many people regarded as Intelligent are also regarded as attractive. It's also the wonderful cliche that women say they want an intelligent partner (male or female) so is it just an attractive trait, or does it really have a physical effect?

You can get IQ tests just about anywhere, just be sure to do a few and get an adverage.

my IQ's 148...how about yours?

my pic's in my avatar, you're irish? damn

you guys are #ing weird, but you're fun to hang with

*smiles*
what's more, i know i'm agressive on the matter, and am shocked you took it so well

how many pints drove you to write all that molarchy?

you're a good poster,
Cyrus

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Lol thanks, well the worst part is I dont drink, so I'm stone sober when writing, I just have these odd notions sometimes. As for my IQ I'm not going to post it as it would just sound like me blowing my own trumpet, but its lower than 148.
As for the compliment on my posting, it comes down to posted little, but I know the company I'm in, and so need to show at least some level of maturity any post.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
btw....your IQ doesnt mean you're clever

it simply means you are well coordinated and CAN use your brain..how special has that mde you feel?

so tell me Mr. Irish, why would i be offended? i'm just a little perplexed on how full-of-yourself you proved to be.

dont care if you're 24 or not m8, i'm 16, and proud to be, what's more...i've got lots of irish contacts, you're all officially mad

i'm in a weird mood, forgive the attitude,
Cyrus

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
True IQ isnt a real measure of ones intellect, however it does lay down some basic ground rules for your mental potential, in evaluating and solving.

Yeah I know we're all mad, it's due to having guinness instead of a bloodstream.

But the subject is still something that has me wondering?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just stating your IQ means nothing. There are a million tests, and most of the online ones are crap with inflated scores. So if you have taken a real IQ test please specify wich one when talking about it. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ok I feel maybe it would've been better not mentioning IQ, but the question still lies in my mind of whether intelligence effect ones looks? or even visa versa?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is a good question though, because both my best friend and I have very high IQs and are both good looking (How can you say this with out sounding cocky?) However, you have to also think about all the people who are extremely smart who happen to be ugly or goofy looking i.e. Einstein

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xMaDHaTTeRx
This is a good question though, because both my best friend and I have very high IQs and are both good looking (How can you say this with out sounding cocky?) However, you have to also think about all the people who are extremely smart who happen to be ugly or goofy looking i.e. Einstein

ok, this maybe the case..
but, i think we all agree that in fact...the high IQ ones suffer from the lack of being able to socialize with society.
i find it incredibly hard to talk to people, i usually go into a stupor after a few words they utter...*however* i never place myself above others, and always give others a chance to explain themselves

i think we are overlapping on the actual "inteligence" thing here....
inteligent could be an einstein methodist...
or
inteligence, could simply be some1 easy to get along with, a streetsmart person who knows when to be quiet.

i'm both... so there really is no choice in this matter, but one can always resort to one side of the pool.
Cyrus

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yeah thats very true, so to go on a slight tangent, Look at the differences between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon, they had different levels of intelligence, but discounting the large noses (for heat) they also had very different looks. Now I realise they were slight variations of a species, so would have appeared different, but they were interbreedable, so genetically not to dissimilar.
So once again, could physical appearence be related to other factors such as intelligence?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
"can intelligence be seen?"....dunno, but the lack of it surely can.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JungleJim
"can intelligence be seen?"....dunno, but the lack of it surely can.

Strange but true... Dumber people can be spotted easily; I don't know why that is so. But I still don't treat them as being dumb and respect them in their own way.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
IQ tests are not very accurate. You should take at least a +- 10 point margin in my opinion. It also assumes there's only one type of intelligence. The truth is that someone can be good in one type of intelligence, eg. math, but he/she can also be bad in another one.

"The most accurate claim one can make about an IQ test is that it measures IQ." - Robert Todd Carroll

Personally I find it a very dangerous thought that you can see someone's intelligence (if there is one kind of intelligence). No study ever proved this. It also makes a great basis for discrimination and prejudices.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Firstly, an actual IQ test should take between a half hour and a full hour. It should have at least 8 parts and a Miller's test. I've had to take some, so I know the difference between them and the internet-based junk out there. Hell, I regularly take test batteries of various kinds. First, make sure you got a real IQ test before claiming your massive intelligence.

Herr Amantine, the IQ test, while grossly osbscelent, is deisgned to measure a number of different kinds of intelligence, including numeric, visual, and verbal. I also find the concept of 'seeing' intelligence unsettling. Ever hear of an 'idiot savant'? It is a person who has sub-par scores in all sets of intelligence tests save one, where it is abnormally above average. Don't go judging a book by its cover.

DE

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If I remember correctly from Psych 101 all those years ago, there are 7 different types of IQ tests. Real ones I mean not the generalized stuff you get off the internet. So you could be a genus in one type of intelligence and a moron in another.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
if these tests you're taking are online you're not as gifted as you'd like to think. Sorry. The average IQ of an american, taking an american biased IQ test is about 100. From my experience, even people who are downright dumb can score well over 100 on those things.

Not to brag, but as an example, i consistantly score 170+ on literally every IQ test i've taken online. Now, I know I'm smart, just from a personal stance. However, I know my limitations, and I know I'm not *that* smart, as that would put me in the real of high genius.

There's various reasons for IQ tests online being bad judges of intelligence, but in general they produce results 20-40 points higher than an individual would achieve in a real life test; of which these are still extremely flawed.

Sorry to pop your bubble.
-----------------
as for the rigid jawline thing - thats just the current idea of what is sexy. 50 years ago people liked round faces and bigger bodies, as well as chest/body hair. People now a days dont. Just happens to be the current swing of things, and that is all their is to it.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I don't think that 'looks' are 100% accurate of a persons intelligence quotient. Just take a look at Einstein in his later years, I didn't see pictures of him with a lot of ladies.

On the other hand, you may be able to judge on your own terms what an 'intelligent' person would look like.

People who may have very good intelligence quotients don't all have chisel jaws, again just look to ol' Einstein.

In the past, it may have been women wanting the muscular men because they had the ability to fend for food.

Today, you see all types of beautiful women with old farts, most likely because they have lots of money or power in society.

I think I'm intelligent, but I can't reason if my looks indicate that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join