It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biologists baffled as millions of penguins vanish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

heartsugar.net..." border=0>

Unhappy feat: biologists baffled as millions of penguins vanish

Millions of the birds are disappearing in a "sinister and astonishing" phenomenon that is baffling biologists.

In just six years their numbers have fallen from 600,000 to 420,000 in the Falkland Islands - one of its few remaining strongholds - according to the latest survey by Falklands Conservation.

The decline equates to a drop of about 30 per cent, although the Falklands population is thought to have dipped by about 85 per cent since 1932, when there were more than 1.5 million birds.

More...

Not a good sign.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
looks like 180 thousand in six years, not millions.
Does the millions number include every penguin that has ever lived?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It's early.... Nice catch!

When I have time, I'll check on where the "millions" came from.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You have to read the full article. It is estimated at an 85% decline since 1932 when there were more than 1.5 million of these penguins.

180,000 were lost in the Falklands in 6 years which is still alarming.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The millions number is a derivation of the numbers globaly with the Falklands location as the main example.

These penguins live in other places then just the Falkland Islands.

I'm only wondering if the timescale is millions since '32 or since a more recent date.

[edit on 27/12/06 by thematrix]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Some time ago, I posted a link showing that bird flu had been found in penguins in Antarctica - the info was associated with a biodiversity conference in SA and the 6th Mass Extinction as I recall.

Will see if I can dig it up...

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Maybe the penguins got too heavy?

Thousands Of Penguins Mating In Minefields

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Can't find my post, but here's what I Googled:

Cambridge University Press: Mounting evidence for the presence of influenza A virus in the avifauna of the Antarctic region (PDF)

Penguin blood samples collected at Bird Island, sub-Antarctic South Georgia, and faecal samples taken from penguins at several localities along the Antarctic Peninsula were analysed in order to investigate if influenza A virus is present in penguin populations in the South Atlantic Antarctic region. Serology was performed on the blood samples while the faecal samples were screened by a RT-PCR method directed at the matrix protein gene for determining the presence of influenza A virus. All faecal samples were negative by PCR, but the blood samples gave serologic indications that influenza A virus is present amongst these penguin species, confirming previous studies, although the virus has still not been isolated from any bird in the Antarctic region.

H5N1 Bird Flu in Penguins in Antarctica?

WARNING: Some reports indicate that the report below was an April1 hoax published by a Reunion newspaper.

The discovery of two corpses of penguins at the beginning of the week on ... Possession threw the disorder in the scientific community of the base Alfred-Faure. The first analyses carried out on the spot reveal a strong suspicion of aviary influenza.

...So. Hoax or cover-up?

I vote yes for Cambridge.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Or pehaps it's the food supply.
www.penguins.cl...

The Falkland Islands used to be the world's largest Rockhopper penguin breeding site, with an estimated 2,500,000 breeding pairs in 1984. This has since declined to around 300,000 breeding pairs as a result of commercial fishing around the Falklands (See Revista Chilena de Historia Natural 2002: The decline of Falkland Islands penguins in the presence of a commercial fishing industry). The same sub-species of Rockhopper penguins in nearby South America have not declined, and there is some evidence of possible emigration from the Falklands to Staten Island in Argentina.

They went where there were more fish...

These guys say 2,5 million in 1984.

Also, "Scientists" say it is related to global warming. I actually read that on another site. At work, no matter what the problem or the cause, somebody always pipes up, "It's global warming." before looking for the real answer.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Rockhopper Penguin

Climate change has been responsible for many massive ocean die offs for decades due to this industrial age. Still amazes me how many folks are stuck in denial mode while the Earth literally rots away. Ecological stewardship has become a crock in this "it's not me, more human crap is better world".

Penguin Decline in Antarctica Linked With Climate Change
National Geographic

Emperor penguins like it cold. Now, scientists have determined that the penguins' susceptibility to climate change accounts for a dramatic decline in their number over the past half century.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Charts and graphs: www.seabirds.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
180,000 were lost in the Falklands in 6 years which is still alarming

How many of those penguin-fatalities could be due to landmines left over from the '82 conflict??

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalCooler
Or pehaps it's the food supply.

Also, "Scientists" say it is related to global warming. I actually read that on another site. At work, no matter what the problem or the cause, somebody always pipes up, "It's global warming." before looking for the real answer.

FYI - food supply and infectious disease are strongly linked to global warming.

Ie., climate change influences where and how well things grow, where organisms spread into new territories, where the wind blows spores, seeds or microbes, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

We're talking system here - not independent unrelated parts for gawd's sake.

It's ALL effing related.

[sorry. I get passionate and impatient.]

Dae

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Maybe if it was called Global Pollution we may all be on the same page. As it is Global Warming ™ is detracting from reality. I hear the solar system is heating up, an ice age is approaching, the sun is becoming more active, our local weather and even TIME is effected by our place in the solar system.

Pollution from our lifestyles must be changed; cars, industry, supermarkets insisting we have so much packaging, ignoring telsa technology, rampant capitalism and consumerism...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

Originally posted by soficrow

Maybe if it was called Global Pollution we may all be on the same page. As it is Global Warming ™ is detracting from reality.

...food supply and infectious disease are strongly linked to global warming...

BECAUSE

temperature and length of growing season influences where and how well things grow, where organisms spread into new territories, where the wind blows spores, seeds or microbes, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

also BECAUSE

climate change created wild weather affects plant growth and growing patterns; drought impacts crops and livestock, etc etc

These are real impacts created by temperature changes and weather fluctuations - all exacerbated by climate change or "global warming."

We're talking system here - not independent unrelated parts

If you're saying that we need to change the language because it's become loaded - I can only respond that we need to UNload the terminology.

Enuff sticking heads in sand.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

food supply and infectious disease are strongly linked to global warming...

Absolutely, with regards to food supply. Edmunton Journal article, Nunavut biologist who studies the polar bears:

The ice cover is cyclical, too. And in the past, as the ice has
> receded, the increased sunlight in the water has increased the food
> available to seals, who have themselves increased in number,
> providing polar bears with more food to eat.

Works with penguins too.
I don't remember the reference but the disease is an opinion not shared by all. I read there have been no examples of this allegation. Got any?

climate change created wild weather affects plant growth and growing patterns; drought impacts crops and livestock, etc etc

According to
rofessor R.M. Carter
Hon. FRSNZ

Marine Geophysical Laboratory (Node C)
Sporing Road South, James Cook University
Townsville, Qld. 4811, AUSTRALIAContact RMC

Myth 10 An increase in AGT during the late 20th century has led to an increase in the number of severe storms (cyclones) or in storm intensity.

Facts 10 Meteorological experts are agreed that no increase in storms has occurred beyond that associated with natural variation of the climate system. The
argument that storms have increased in their intensity as a result of warming remains the subject of strong dispute.

This has been cited by numerous experts, with the possible exception of Al Gore , CBS and the IPCC.

In the articles I already cited it mentions that the population was tested and found to be disease free. It also says populations nearby have experienced no decline and overfishing has reduced the food supply the penguins depend upon. Viola! They followed the food.

For every problem there is a simple readily accepted wrong answer.

Thanks for your opinions soficrow. Touche

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
hellmutt

that was absolutely hilarious! i'm still rotflmao! i'm going to have images of fat penguins with surprised looks on their faces for the rest of the night!

everyone else, sorry about the interruption.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i hope they turn up

top topics

join