It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pres. Gerald Ford Dies at 93

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Former US president Gerald R. Ford, who became president when Richard Nixon resigned over the Watergate Scandal, has died.

www.mercurynews.com
LOS ANGELES - Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only president in America's history never elected to nationwide office, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

"My family joins me in sharing the difficult news that Gerald Ford, our beloved husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather has passed away at 93 years of age," Mrs. Ford said in a brief statement issued from her husband's office in Rancho Mirage. "His life was filled with love of God, his family and his country."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The exact time or cause of death have not yet been released to the public.

Related News Links:
www.chron.com

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Onto the topic at hand Ford deserves our respect for having the character to come thou such a time after entering the Whitehouse. After both men had left office he formed a friendship with Carter another member of the one term in office club.

[edit on 26-12-2006 by xpert11]

Mod Edit: On Topic.

[edit on 26/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Is really no need to tell how he die . . .he lived a long life and he was also in the news lately with many related health problems.

It always hit me hard when we lose people that has been part of our history.

Sad.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A great friend of Canada, Gerald Ford was. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be on the G8 today. RIP.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So George Bush compared Ford to himself today saying that both of them have lead the country through difficult times, made unpopular decisions for the countries good and withstood criticism with grace.

Ford had far more grace in his pinky (stumbles not withstanding) than Bush ever will.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I thought that this article was worth posting even thou Saigon fell on Fords watch those who made it out are grateful to him for supporting the Vietnamese refuges.

But Ford became the savior to those lucky enough to escape the taking of Saigon by the North Vietnamese army. "I pray no American president is ever again faced with this grave option," Ford said at a public forum on the legacy of the Vietnam War 25 years later. "I still grieve over those we were unable to rescue." He added that he was thankful America was able to relocate 130,000 Vietnamese refugees (less than 1 percent of South Vietnam's population) and that "to do less would have added moral shame to humiliation."

My family and those other blessed South Vietnamese found ourselves stuck in refugee camps across the United States. Outside the camps, public sentiment against Vietnamese refugees ran high, although at the time we did not feel it directly. The book on Vietnam had been closed for most Americans until the refugees arrived in unprecedented numbers. Only the Hungarian and Cuban refugee resettlements were of comparable scale. Newspapers portrayed the country as split on what to do with the refugees.

Link

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
A small bit of information that I heard on the radio was a discussion between Ford and Bob Woodward. Apparently, Ford had informed Woodward that he disagreed with Bush's agenda in Iraq. He had also said that he wanted Woodward to keep this information to himself, until his passing of course. A man of dignity.

My beloved Green Bay Packers offered Ford $110 per game to join their club, which of course he turned down to pursue a Law degree at Yale.

What else could you ask of a man?

President of the United States, said No to the NFL, and could still stick the ball within a few inches of the pin from 100+ yards out. Not to mention an appearance on the Simpson's.

A true, modern day renaissance man.

God bless, and may you rest in peace.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by chissler]

new topics

top topics

join