It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody see any American sports catching on in Europe or anywhere else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hi all,

I know a lot of people outside the US dislike American sports, but can anybody see any American sport catching on in popularity? Television stations would love nothing more than for Europe and the rest of the world to follow American sports because they are literally made for television, with frequent stops in the action for commercial breaks.

So could basketball, American football, or even baseball become popular all over Europe?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
American Football is very big in Mexico,and it is gaining some relevance in Europe.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I love watching the NFL on sky sports , the coverage is exellent and it makes a change from cricket and football , i haven't got any time for the rest of the american sports though dont see the point.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think American football might one day catch on in Europe and other places, but the only problem is that in American football they call penalties for tripping.

Peace

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Well, maybe they should call American Football Soccer in Europe, just to confuse things that much more.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What planet have you been living on?

American Football, Baseball has a huge UK fanbase, it has done for years. Skysports promotes them very well and runs a huge NFL fantasy game and website NFL.com. They have the European NFL which has been running since 1990, if i remember righly London Monarchs beat Barcelona in the first World Bowl in 1991. Eight players this season won places on NFL teams practice squads, not sure if they made the grade though.

Basketball has always been huge in the UK for a number of years, also Ice Hockey. Both have leagues in the UK and in other European countries.

Looking at it i realise your mistake. The title of the thread should have been will European sports catch on in the USA....

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have family in Europe and have traveled there a few times, and from what I have gathered, basketball seems to have a lukewarm to strong following (depending on the country) and American football's following seems to have a lukewarm following at best. I would not surprised to see the NBA grow to a level of popularity shared by rugby or cricket, but it will never be as popular as football (soccer). On the other hand, I am surprised to see people saying that American football is very popular. American football is too much like rugby and the pace of the game is too slow due to frequent stops in the action.

As far as European sports catching on in America, rugby is too much like football to catch on. Cricket is also too much like baseball to catch on. Football (soccer) is slowly growing and winning fans. I would not be surprised to see soccer become one of the top 3 sports in the US in 30 years time, but this would depend on the MLS doing well and acquiring stars, the US doing well in the World Cup, and a true American star (like Freddie Adu) actually accomplishing something.

new topics

top topics

join