It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the 3 biggest sports 30 years from now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
In the 1940's, the 3 biggest sports in the USA were not baseball, basketball, and football, but baseball, boxing, and horse racing. The NBA and NFL were not big time sports leagues. Sixty years ago it was not unheard of for an All-American football player or even a Heisman trophy winner to go off and sell insurance rather than play in the NFL. Today boxing, while it still occasionally grabs headlines, it not as popular as the NBA or NFL. It is also losing ground to UFC. Horse racing is virtually off the American sports radar.

Thirty years from now, will the big 3 sports still be football, basketball, and baseball? I say no. My bet is the big 3 sports will be basketball, football, and soccer.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
In the next 30 years, I can see Football, Basketball, and MMA being pretty popular sports

[edit on 26-12-2006 by Striker122]

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striker122
In the next 30 years, I can see Football, Basketball, and MMA being pretty popular sports

[edit on 26-12-2006 by Striker122]

That's a good call. I guess we both agree that football and basketball are going to stay at the top, and the battle is for the third spot. I definitely see MMA getting bigger, most likely at boxing's expense.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about NBA basketball. I see the NBA making many of the same mistakes baseball has made. Too many teams leading to dilution of talent, the season being too long to maintain interest, and the participants being viewed in a less than favorable light.

I can see NBA basketball's popularity waning big-time in the foreseeable future.

Soccer? Possible, but I don't think so. MMA? I can see where it could overtake boxing in popularity. Boxing's been seriously damaged by greed and overall chicanery. Same thing could easily happen to MMA as it becomes more popular, and more lucrative. The money corrupts almost everything eventually.

I'm not sure if you'd consider college and pro as different sports, but I think in the next 30 years the most popular will be pro football, college football, and college basketball. Maybe throw NASCAR in there ahead of college basketball.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Football will continue at the top, too well structured. The other 2 spots are up for grabs. If the US puts forth a SERIOUS effort to promote young hockey players the NHL could leap in there. Bettman can't live forever screwing up the game. If MLB can get it together, they could last but many mistakes have to be addressed. Maybe Athletics, that would be a nice change.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Football soccer that is, maybe Rugby and F1 but the Olympics will be a major event so that includes all. Maybe the future will include a flying race round the Earth, and they have to go through 10 mile wide posts to make up the circuit or something. Copyright I made this up.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
American Football - it's dominance will continue for a long time, the NFL is constantly fine-tuning it's product to what the consumer wants, and NCAA football generally follows suit. Also with the NCAA game, we have so many people who graduate form a school, and return for the homecoming game, etc. That's not something you have with other sports.

Soccer will rise in popularity as the children who are playing in AYSO now continue to age into a nice demographic block for whatever pro league emerges with the right business plan. Soccer in the US now is about where football was back in the 30-40's.

Adn the one that you guys have almost forgotten about, albeit I would like to myself, is NASCAR. It's already the second most popular sport(?) in the US. I'm obviously not a fan, but most of rural America is. And it has made HUGE strides in urban America, too. The biggest blow that it has received in the past decade was when Reggie White passed, he was part owner of a team. I"m not sure if they have African-American team ownership, but I bet they do. NASCAR has the right business plan, and they are aggressively marketing the product, much to my dismay.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Boxing's been seriously damaged by greed and overall chicanery. Same thing could easily happen to MMA as it becomes more popular, and more lucrative. The money corrupts almost everything eventually.

Yeh, especially since we have a guy like Dana owning the UFC.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
In terms of sheer numbers (revenues, fan attendance, TV ratings and other metrics) NASCAR is already one of the three most popular sports in the US (assuming for arguments sake race car driving is a sport), no matter how you choose to measure a sports popularity. The problem with NASCAR is that its appeal does not extend over a broad demographic. NASCAR is certainly king in the south and in rural America, but people in big cities do not seem to know or care about the sport. The NBA, NFL, and baseball appeal to a broader cross section of American society.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This sure seems like a setup for soccer.

If you would have asked this 30 years ago, soccer would have been the overwhelming choice. Remember the New York Cosmos? 30 years ago this star-studded team, including Pele, was supposed to vault soccer to new heights in the U.S. It never happened though.

The big three will remain the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

Some like to bash the MLB, but year after year MLB keeps breaking attendence records. 81 Home games a year 20,000 fans a game for the worst teams up to 30-40K for the best. No wonder teams can pay the best players 25 million a year.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Pele and the other stars that played on the Cosmos were well passed their prime. There is a chance that in the next few years that MLS will have bona fide world class stars that do not need use a walker to get up and down the field. David Beckham has been rumored to come to America soon, and while he is past his prime, he is still a decent world class player. More importantly, MLS may have American superstars. The immigrant population, AYSO, cable TV and other factors that exist now that did not exist in the 1960's will allow soccer to grow.

new topics

top topics

join