It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman's Survival

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's very interesting to note how times have changed... I just recently had a discussion with my grandmother about being 'different'. She's going on 80, and in 'her time' -- to rock the boat was a morally incomprehensible thing to do. You did everything you could to fit in... And here I am, 25, raised _to be_ different, to be an individual. Whereas she was taught the roles of being a female, and expected to adhere to them, I've been raised to challenge the roles.

My family tried to keep me as a secret, but my appearance has never allowed for that. My parents still do not understand my choices -- but at least they've abided by their bit of wisdom: Do whatever you want - you're the one who'll have to deal with the consequences. (And *sigh* I am...)

And while this borders more on social commentary rather than women's survival (wilderness style), I think it still has merit -- how will the social structures of women (and people, for that matter) change if chaos breaks out?

Orange - Life with risk... Frankly, I'm still getting used to that. Maybe I don't think of things (activites/events) as risks. I mean, it's risky to just go walking down the street, but I never think of it that way. When I got my tongue pierced, I knew that if it was done wrong, I could lose my tongue -- but that never affected me. Every time I get new ink, I know I could walk away with serious infections -- doesn't phase me. I drove across the country in 24 hours straight, and the thought of falling asleep behind the wheel didn't drive me (pun intended) to find a hotel. The only thing that scared me was driving in a torrential rainstorm in NY... the rain itself was fine, but the fact that I hydroplaned for quite a distance in a 2000 lb. u-haul next to semi-trucks doing well over 80 mph -- that terrified me. And yet, white knuckled, I kept driving.

I understand a risk as something that might/will have a personal loss... But these aforementioned activites/events did not strike me as being risky ventures... or at least risky enough to keep me from doing them. Might this be a difference in definitions? some weird mental dissonance with what constitutes as a risk?

Oh to hell with convenience... I've _earned_ my grandmother's nickname: Hard Way Jones. (*momentary puff of pride*) No matter what the task is - I'll find the hard way of doing it. I don't intend to do it that way, but that's how it works itself out...

And speaking of the hard way -- without really making a conscious choice, I've been working towards living 'in the old way'. Growing tomatoes and making my own spaghetti sauce (which, I might add, turned out not too shabby... edible at least), learning to can foods, make clothes (sewing, knitting, crocheting, leather-work)... I'm trying to get out to a farm so I can keep a goat and some sheep... make my own wool, my own butter...
(...methinks that these are about the only things that could be considered a 'feminine' activity to which I subscribe... hm...)
Anyhow, it strikes me that if the # truly hit the fan, buckshot style, then this kind of knowledge and experience would be most useful. Yet, in current society, it's very difficult, nearly impossible, to make a living with crafts because people are used to walmart-type prices.
(Combine that with my appearance, and paychecks become seriously scanty...)

And in regards to your island scenario -- at least you'll have lots of food! (Just don't eat the brains and you'll be fine. *smirks* And eventually, you can make a boat with all the bones!!
)

My nightmare is being with a group of those same twits, but the situation demands the willingness to kill in order to survive. I have never raised my hand in a malicious manner, but I know that I'm fully capable of adapting. (It seems to be what I do in life: I deal.) However, I worry that other people are not of this same capability... at which point, a debate of morals will ensue: is it better to stay with the group in hopes that they'll learn, because to leave them to, assumedly, their own demise is a morally bad thing? or is it better to go it alone -- screw the many if they cannot take care of themselves? ---- that is my nightmare...

If I have to have any interactions with others after TSHTF, I hope it is with someone like the three previous posters.

I absolutely agree with you Dark Elf... Feels weird for me to type it, as I'm quite happy with my (usually androgenous) aninimity (I join Whitewave in a boistrous Hallilujah!), but it strikes me that if the shtf -- maybe we should know where each other are, even if only in general (city) locations? Maybe it crosses lines, and I certainly do not want to offend or bring about awkwardness (as I am prone to do)... But I truly do not want to face my nightmare situation. What do you guys think?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
No one in thier right minds wants to face their nightmare scenerio. However it is much better to have developed some skills in doing this...or at least fending for ones self.

I should tell you that I too learned by trial and error also some advice from an olde country gal how to can tomatos. I think it is a good idea on your part. Not just tomatos but other foods too.

I have purchased one of those vacuum sealer tools to seal meats and other foods ..very handy. This is the basic premise of Canning in addition to the cooking part but sealing in a vacuum.

I am grateful to my mother for teaching me some rudiments of sewing. Buttons ..very easy..darning socks....a bit more difficult. I recall watching here with a plastic egg darning socks. Now today It is very easy and cheap to go to Wally world or somewhere else and purchase a new set. But what do you do if all this breaks down?
I have several assortments of needles set aside in a kit..not just straight needles..but curved ones too. Also several sets of hemostats. Thread, string, and fishing line. It is cheap and available now...I hope I never have to use them. Mom also taught me to cook. I dont come to a woman for cooking though I do very much enjoy a good meal prepared by a woman who cares. This can be a blessing to a man who knows more than football scores/players.
My mother also taught me to use a washboard. I can do it the hard way if necessary. A clothes line too. How many people...male and female do you know who "freak" if they dont have access to a dryer?? I keep a wooden clothes rack around though I also have a dryer.

I remember having to help my father work on cars and other jobs around the house. I used to spend hours passing him tools and holding the flashlight while enviously watching the other kids playing. I wanted so much to be playing with them. I know how to take care of alot of things on my cars and trucks to day and seldome go to shop to have things done other than mounting a tire. Now I appreciate the old man for the rudiments of what he taught me. I know now that he did it to save moneys for the rest of us to live better and have surpluses. I was his way of loving us and looking out for us. I look at many of the guys I came up with who can mostly work a television remote controller and a telephone keypad. I no longer feel sorry for them..male or female.
Diseria..this does not make me better than they ..only different.

Fishing too I learned from the olde man. I took this learning even further with the help of others versed in the craft. Love to fish and eat fish too.
Had fish and fries tonight.

I keep this knowlege and know how from my mother and father to this day. In process of time I came to realize that this was in fact love. They taught me to stand for the day when they will no longer be able to stand with me. But this Love, Their Love, will always be with me.
This is what parents do for thier children...teach them to stand.

As long as you can carry your own load..dont worry about it.....the rest can P... Off!!! If you have young'uns..teach them to stand..whether they like it or not...stand!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
No one in thier right minds wants to face their nightmare scenerio. However it is much better to have developed some skills in doing this...or at least fending for ones self.

To be truthful, there are moments where I'd like to be challenged with the scenarios... to see how I'd actually fare. Then again, my brain likes to think things are easier than they really are, soo...

Moreover, I'd rather that humanity were challenged... the complacency challenged. If this is to be the height of humanity, I'm not sure that I like it.

I should tell you that I too learned by trial and error also some advice from an olde country gal how to can tomatos. I think it is a good idea on your part. Not just tomatos but other foods too.

I have purchased one of those vacuum sealer tools to seal meats and other foods ..very handy. This is the basic premise of Canning in addition to the cooking part but sealing in a vacuum.

I turned to my grandmother for advice. I know the sealing tools exist, but (hard way jones again), I refuse to get one. I'm learning to boil the jars and lids -- heat works *great* as a vacuum.. just make sure it's _boiling hot_!

I had plans to practice on pears, but the fruit didn't ripen. Two handfulls of beans are hardly worth canning... and my 1 lone cucumber ended up in a salad. In short, I'm still working on my green thumb.

This brings to mind the idea of starting a thread about keeping food without need of a refridgerator and/or freezer. (if there isn't one already)

I am grateful to my mother for teaching me some rudiments of sewing. Buttons ..very easy..darning socks....a bit more difficult. I recall watching here with a plastic egg darning socks. Now today It is very easy and cheap to go to Wally world or somewhere else and purchase a new set.

Buttons are still my mortal enemy!
Never get the little bastards to stay on! I can sew almost anything else, but just not buttons...
Darning socks is something that I'm going to learn. Hafta talk to my grandmother about that. My grandparents lived through the depression, so they know all that nifty stuff. (Bless grandparents! I hope I'll be as nifty as they are...)

I have several assortments of needles set aside in a kit..not just straight needles..but curved ones too. Also several sets of hemostats. Thread, string, and fishing line. It is cheap and available now...I hope I never have to use them.

My 'rounded' needles I keep separate. They're good for leather work, but I prefer the straight ones for that. However, the actual method to stitching up the wound is unknown to me.
Oddly enough, I know a little about tanning hides the Native American way thanks to my father's addiction of reading old western novels!
I also know how to make my own 'string' for a bow... the arrows are a bit harder, however.

But what do you do if all this breaks down?

Honestly, I don't think people think that way. They do not consider the possibility of society breaking down, especially to the point of survival.

See, 'survival' as changed its suit, so to speak. Survival now-a-days is a paycheck. Instead of worrying about where the next meal is, we worry about where the next paycheck will come from so that we can go grocery shopping. It's almost a step removed from the true art of survival. The closest thing that people have to true survival are homeless people living off of scraps in cardboard boxes...

The other thing that brings about some worry is the 'individual' mindset, combined with rampant procrastination.
I have no problem carrying my own load; I have a problem with carrying more than my fair share of the load. Obviously, if I'm by myself, that's one thing. But, if I'm with a group of people (this harkening back to my nightmare situation) - I expect them to do their own work. However, I learned very early on in skool that people will work to get out of their workload any way possible.

*sigh* My father and his work ethic have spoiled me.

Thank You for this conversation.

How I do love good discussions!

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Diseria]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I was the oldest of 6 kids in my family (responsible for all of them) and we were very poor. Usually just beans and cornbread for dinner, etc. I quickly learned to "catch critters" and would drag them in the house by their tails and ask grandma if they were edible. She'd always say "yes" and show me how to cook that particular animal (possum, raccoon, rabbit, etc.). My siblings went a different route and usually mooched off the neighbors, eating at their houses. This was unthinkable to me and I tried to teach them how to catch and cook their own as I had been shown. They weren't interested. Much easier to just show up uninvited and expect someone else to take care of you. I look around today and see the same mentality in most people. It still offends me.

As a single, older female, I know that if SHTF, my marketability is practically zero. However, I've learned to make myself useful. The younger, cuter females can get used (or used up) for breeding and I'll be the one that knows how to deliver a breech preemie with a placenta previa complication. When their milk dries up from lack of proper nutrition, I'll be the one that can procure infant nutrition. When the group is on the run and can't carry enough edibles, I'll be the one that can identify plants and know their edible and medicinal values. I'll be the one that can catch rabbits, squirrels, etc. with nothing more than a chunked rock and know how to prepare them in a savory sauce with what I can find growing around the area. If we need instant transportation and a car needs hotwiring, I'm your gal. (only for survival emergencies, of course).

Brain tanning, use of essential oils, how to make batteries with vinegar and copper, smoke drying meats-these and many more basic skills are all things that most younger people won't know how to do. If I don't get killed off before I can prove my usefulness, I'll be the most protected one in the group. If I have to go it alone, so much the easier.

My 8 year old knows how to fry chicken, make tea, knows karate (green belt), how to change oil and filter, how to identify fallacies in logic (by watching commercials), etc. We're working on his archery skills. He's already learned to pay attention to the habits of animals so to be better at hunting them. He can identify several indigenous plants in the area, knows how to make snow icecream, etc. I try to make survival education fun and age appropriate. Being self-reliant is fun, confidence building and ultimately useful. I teach him chemistry and math in the kitchen, physics and aerodynamics in the garage, logic on the computer and tv, etc. You're never too young or too old to learn and you're never the "wrong gender" to learn a particular skill.

Diseria, I suggested to the Amigos an ATS "convention" but haven't heard back yet. I agree that a get together could be a good thing. Not up to me though.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Diseria, I suggested to the Amigos an ATS "convention" but haven't heard back yet. I agree that a get together could be a good thing. Not up to me though.

A convention would be grand! (esp. a survival convention... Oh! the knowledge!) If nothing else, maybe we should just strike up our own... getting people on ats together is a bit hard since we're worldwide.

However, my thought was along the lines of knowing approximately where y'all are. Say we're at the four corners of the US, then we work towards the middle, towards some meeting place.

It seems that each of us has invaluable knowledge -- more useful when put together than kept apart.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I have only just recently started reading these threads (survival) and what a fantastic forum for us all to discuss.

This thread with a title singling out women was for sure to take some ugly turns,not that i don`t think its a valid topic.Thanks to some logical thoughtful members (eg Whitewave and OT,Darkelf) have been able to keep it from flaming out,well done,you guys should know already you have my admiration and respect.

I`d like to through out a couple of thoughts more so personal concerns on the topic of women`s survival.I will inevitably worry and cross these bridges if and when anything happens though have for the past twenty odd years been feeling more and more somethings around the corner.

Depending on the length of time and the seriousness of sit-X(who ever thought of that :cool
my fear is for my partner,me being male 43 she being 36 have been together some 15 years (best check with her on that for accuracy) we dont have children (my choice) I`m very concerned if a situation arose where we were to choose to live very remotely (Australia here and can be very harsh) for many years on end,women have longer life expectancy then men and i can`t bear the thought of myself dying and her fending for herself alone.

So other than hopefully finding others who are trust worthy people,in a situation where people like those fleeing are hunted down and rounded up it would be more logical to be in the smallest group you could be for detection sake,so the other option is children,and strangely enough in the event of this type of survivalist living i would feel better about bringing a child into this world than what children are brought into as i`ve known and seen it.

Pregnancy of older women i`ve heard can be detrimental to the child and herself,and would vary from women to women would be safe to assume,i`ve done a bit of a search just now and didn`t find much about it,does anyone know of an age children should not be considered beyond,you know just a roughy?

In that scenario it will obviously bring about the child/ren being left alone eventually,so its horrible to contemplate either way.

Other than that if there are Aussies here? or anyone else that likes the remoteness of Australia to disappear in,I say that because of the vast population in other countries UK US etc,it would be hard to disappear if a lot of people are trying to.

Anyway here`s some aboriginal bush tucker and bush medicines which will be of great value for surviving for long periods in Australia.

Table of remedies at the bottom
www.bri.net.au...

www.roebourne.wa.edu.au...

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Whitewave,

You have me chuckling to myself here. I would in such a situation watch people with whom I am stuck carefully for real life skills. Not just appearences. The women for breeding yes...but they require more than just this. Care would be necessary here so as not to take on to much baggage. Male or female. The males who have no skills had better learn fast ..the females to or get left byt the wayside.

I disagree with your marketability opinion. Your skills would show up immediately far beyond the value of a mere breeder.
Great that you are teaching your youngster these basic skills..and building on them. This is love and standing watch over your flock.

Hotwiring a car..yes agree...a skill needed from time to time. I shall not question your reasoning as I myself have in my pocket right now a set of lockpicks. I obtained these from a site called

Steve Arnolds Gun room.

I am on my fourth set and taught myself to use them after watching some olde timers at work who were adept at using them. I have locked myself out of my truck, cars and home several times and gotten back in. I think some of you know what are a locksmith's rates.
I can also make these tools by hand but prefer factory sets for consistency.
Just a side facet of having worked the back shifts for so long. Not much of a daywalker here.

GPS 777,

Good to see you again. It has been awhile. I too am somewhat new to the Survival board.

As to breeding. I dont think that it is something you can actually control in hard times. It is simply a matter of survivability. Older women will be having children as well as the younger ones. Notice that in third world nations they are breeding faster than in the more developed nations..much faster..even without what we term as proper medical care.
The main difference is that infant mortality and the death of the mother in childbirth will increase. But this has not kept the third world nations from populating. Think this through carefully.
I also submit to you that women are much more subtle and accomplished survivalists than most are wont to give them credit. Men as a whole can be pretty dumb here about the nature of alot of things.

YOu cannot take the risk out of everything. Human tendency without facing risk is usually to take life for granted. In otherwords entitlement mentality.
Your task male and female is to prepare for this survival..good times as well as bad. It is all survival.

Good to see you again,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
stay pregnat till your 50

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A woman can be 'safely' pregnant until right before menopause. Granted, each woman's clock is different, but 40-50 is the absolute limit. However, after 45 (possibly after 40), the chances of a miscarrage and a complicated birth are very high.

What are the risks associated with a pregnancy at the age of 43?

Doctors put the risks into two categories. Medical risks include conception difficulties, due to falling fertility; a higher risk of deformation of the foetus and genetic diseases and difficulties during labour, especially for overweight or unfit women. All these risks are very well-monitored by the medical profession, but if you are at all worried, it is important that you see your doctor and ask for tests.
Psychological risks are less easy to evaluate, but commonly include over-cautiousness and nervousness during pregnancy, over-protection of the child once it is born, or conversely, a lack of patience as it gets older. Bringing up a child can be very demanding, especially when the 'child' gets to 18 and the parents are over 60! Just because it's difficult however, doesn't make it impossible.
Source

A scary thought: If the world/society truly reset itself, would it then be okay to 'marry' a 12-14 year old? (thus increasing the years of having babies)
I know such a practice was okay for many many years, and has only recently become a taboo. It just seems...well... a little disturbing. (Boys had cooties until I was 17!
)

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I had my youngest child at age 41 and was told to expect to die, miscarry, have a down's syndrome baby, yadayadaya. He's fine. I'm fine. I got pregnant 6 times on 6 different types of 99.9 % effective birth control and after the 5th child, I refused the rhogam shot as a sort of built in miscarriage method. This, of course, was also going to be a death sentence for the unborn child. Labor was fine, baby was fine, I'm fine. Feed people a coupla sandwiches for strength to procreate and they'll be cranking out babies whether there's clean water, electricity, prenatal care, etc. Helps a LOT to have all those amenities but until this century, most people didn't (and still brought the world's population to over 6 billion).

In survival times, a woman's monthly cycle will often just stop, especially if she's overworked or malnourished. The body has difficulty coming up with the "extra" needed for baby making. Severe stress can have the same effect.

We're born with all the eggs we'll ever have and as we get older the eggs are "not fresh" even if they're still viable. Chances for genetic deformities increases with age. Recent studies show that old sperm has the same effect but to a lesser degree than "old eggs".

Vasectomies take about 20 minutes under local anesthesia, are 100 % effective method of birth control. Hysterectomies are a few days stay in a hospital, general anesthesia, major surgery and immediately begin degrading your bone density. Getting tubes tied is not a guarantee against unwanted pregnancy. You can still have a "tubal pregnancy" but it's extremely risky to the mother if that happens as she can bleed to death. The egg gets fertilized but implants in the tubes rather than the uterus.
If you're worried about your woman getting pregnant during hard times-get clipped. You'll get all the ice cream you can eat.

OT: my lock-picking tools don't get much use anymore. once you get the hang of a skill, you tend to move on to other things. Still, it's best to stay in practice. Thanks for reminding me.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Good to see you again. It has been awhile. I too am somewhat new to the Survival board.

I think its a fantastic forum,though have had thoughts those participating could be the first ones rounded up
then i read a note to self "keep the paranoia in check".

As to breeding. I dont think that it is something you can actually control in hard times. It is simply a matter of survivability.

Yes agreed and in younger people would be the norm,though with Armageddon,last day prophecies,NWO type scenario`s that have been widely aired older folks like ourselves can prepare and like Whitewave has pointed out theirs always the snip.Which is why i was asking the age of safe pregnancy question so`s i know what our options are,given sit-X doesn`t happen quicker than i expect.

Notice that in third world nations they are breeding faster than in the more developed nations..much faster..even without what we term as proper medical care.
The main difference is that infant mortality and the death of the mother in childbirth will increase. But this has not kept the third world nations from populating. Think this through carefully.

Yes, i would put this down to a few reasons,sexual urges without the readily supply of contraceptives and not fearing marriage divorce relationship breakdowns gender roles sexism income etc as seems to be the case in western countries.They just get on with it,some positives and negatives.

I also submit to you that women are much more subtle and accomplished survivalists than most are wont to give them credit.

For sure,whether they are conscious of it or if its moral in a lot of cases or not is another thing,yet when the few men that survive similarly to alot of women they usually find themselves on current affairs type programs with a camera chasing them down the street

Anyway in society as we know it now there are many avenues for women to survive where the system has in place at their disposal i`d say much better than there is for men,take that away,women will have to use their skills in a moral way as many of the women here would,though in extreme situations women know that they are desired by men,and thats worth alot, though also can be dangerous.

Your task male and female is to prepare for this survival..good times as well as bad. It is all survival.

Too true,bearing in mind some lines will not be crossed by some female or male,one example,in extreme situations both can be viewed as food.

Good to see you again,
Orangetom

You too pal

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria
A woman can be 'safely' pregnant until right before menopause. Granted, each woman's clock is different, but 40-50 is the absolute limit. However, after 45 (possibly after 40), the chances of a miscarrage and a complicated birth are very high.

Much appreciated Diseria for the info and source

A scary thought: If the world/society truly reset itself, would it then be okay to 'marry' a 12-14 year old? (thus increasing the years of having babies)
I know such a practice was okay for many many years, and has only recently become a taboo.

Its still happening in places like India where its legal to marry girls that young,they often fall pregnant and die giving birth because there bodies are not fully developed to handle child birth.

Scary alright,barbaric imo

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Vasectomies take about 20 minutes under local anesthesia, are 100 % effective method of birth control. Hysterectomies are a few days stay in a hospital, general anesthesia, major surgery and immediately begin degrading your bone density. Getting tubes tied is not a guarantee against unwanted pregnancy. You can still have a "tubal pregnancy" but it's extremely risky to the mother if that happens as she can bleed to death. The egg gets fertilized but implants in the tubes rather than the uterus.
If you're worried about your woman getting pregnant during hard times-get clipped

Well we both read your post Whitewave and from this it seems i`ll deffinatly be the one taking it for the team,though you would be helping me out by being wrong once in a while.

You'll get all the ice cream you can eat.

I`d betta get sumthin!!! or

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
no problem. i've posted on other threads where everyone there thinks i'm wrong.

ice cream and sponge baths, relaxing massages and lots of praise. what more could a guy want?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

ice cream and sponge baths, relaxing massages and lots of praise. what more could a guy want?

Fully functional testicles.
its true!

But somethings make better sense,so i`ll be happy with the list of positives.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
awesome responses everyone.

Well, I ended up ordering a Mooncup and just received it in the mail yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for. This will help ease my worries a lot.

And for those of you who were saying that when SHTF, it won't even matter if you weren't prepared because with all the other stuff going on, you probably wouldn't even notice your period anyways. Well I believe that to be TOTALLY untrue.
I would find it VERY uncomfortable to be running around or hiding out with a blood soaked pair of pants. Even if you did have time to rip up rags and all that other stuff, do you REALLY think you'll be able to get access to enough water to be washing out those rags every month? I would probably just toss em and rip up another towel or shirt to keep clean, but you only have so many supplies you can carry with you.

The Mooncup is the perfect solution IMHO.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
mooncup? do tell. link please?

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

mooncup? do tell. link please?

Much like a diaphram - but catches blood - a menstrual cup. Just dump and rinse.

Ie., www.mooncup.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I was just reading MRWupys thread below this one titled

"Why you should be a survivalist."

Mr Wupy is expecting Ice storms down in Oklahoma this weekend. Ice can be very destructive to a system as happened about five years ago around here. IN this instance Ice formed on everything..and I mean everything. All the tree limbs and branchs. Along the power lines and also the telephone lines. It actually put a coating on everything. I some areas the phone lines went down and also of course the electricity. One of the very large comercial radio towers came down due to the weight of the ice accumulation on it.

The most intresting thing that occured was the trees along the interstate. They just weighted down and fell across the road bed...like 40 plus miles of trees weighted down with ice fell across the interstate. Astonishing..truely astonishing. It took alot of very intense work to get this cleared off the interstate to get people and commerce back on track.

Made me think of something that happened about a year ago. I was curious about it and how it would work. What I wanted to know is will this computer work and be stable on my generated power.
I have two generators. A 4000 watt and also a newer electric start 7500 watt. I plugged in the 7500 Watt one night when the power went off for about 5 hours and proceeded to check out this computer. The cable service was working and everything functioned alright. So I was able to get on line even with generated power. Now mind you ....in a Ice storm or after a hurricane most likely the lines will be down. Both electrical as well as phone and cable lines. But I did get to do a trial run on a gasoline generator. It does work.

Just some survival information for some of you who might be curious about this.

My next trial run is to see if this set up will work off my 1500 watt power inverter powered from my truck battery with the truck running. I will have to give it a try soon. I am not sure about this one because many inverters do not produce a true sine wave.

Though I have not tried it ..there is a way to hook a computer up to a Ham Radio and send information through the air ways to be received by someone else with the similar set up. I want to check this out too for possible survival options. It requires a device called a terminal node controller. Also called a TNC.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
women do have one advantage
kick a man between the legs and hes soon down women can but its not so easy.

i think this is a great forum some good ideas.

another idea not being x rated here but what about big breasts i large chested and it hurts to run.

if situation x happened idbe very tempted to do what the amazonion women did and cut them off all together.

what do other women think.....

[edit on 13-1-2007 by kerrichin]

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join