It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Bird Flu Deaths in Egypt, Both Women

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
A fifteen-year-old girl died on Christmas Day of bird flu, after a 30-year-old woman died on Christmas Eve. It is not clear that they both had contact with poultry. 19 people have been infected with bird flu in Egypt in the past year, with nine fatalities, all female. The United Nations' Integrated Regional Information Network is suggesting women are more at risk from avian flu than men.

www.bloomberg.com
Bird flu killed a woman in northern Egypt as authorities attempt to eradicate the lethal virus that infected two other members of the woman's family. The infection killed a teenage girl in Cairo, Agence France-Presse reported.

The woman from Zifta, in the northern province of Gharbia, had been in contact with infected poultry, Egypt's Ministry of Health said in a statement on its Web site today. Fowl kept by the family and neighbors have been culled, and people in contact with the birds are being tested, the ministry said in a separate statement on Dec. 24.

A 15-year-old girl died from the H5N1 strain of avian flu in a Cairo hospital, AFP reported yesterday. She was transferred from a hospital in the Nile delta province of Garbiya, where she was admitted Dec. 20, AFP said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some news reports suggest that the 15 year-old girl and 30 year-old woman were part of the same extended family. Other reports do not make the claim.

Reports suggesting that women bear the brunt of bird flu in Egypt say women are responsible for caring for and slaughtering poultry - which likely is why they are most likely to die from the current strain.

The spin saying women are more susceptible to this bird flu seems designed to draw attention away from the possibility that some of Egypt's current cases resulted from person-to-person transmission.

Related News Links:
www.irinnews.org
www.alertnet.org
www.int.iol.co.za

[edit on 26-12-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
without getting into arguments over gender roles , and cultural stereotypes :

excluding people specificially employed in ` at risk ` industries , i.e. farmer , abbotoir worker , butcher etc .

it is often women who are most likley to handle raw poultry in many societies

there is little historic evidence for gender specific mortality in previous epidemics , why should H5N1 or any substrain be different ?

for instance , anthrax infection is far more comon in males [ at least here in the UK ] foor the obvious reason that the industries where workers are at risk of anthrax are male dominated

EDIT : To add -

and in the developing world , animal husbandry , at least on a domestic level is ptedominantly a female activity - so women rasie , butcher and prepare small game for private domestic consumption - putting them in the front line .

[edit on 26-12-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I agree also that the reason for women to get the bird flu in certain areas or societies is due to women been the ones to handle the farm animals for food preparation.

As usual we see the bird flu going around these countries including Canada but US seems to be (Blessed so far) or perhaps just seem to be.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
True, ignorant_ape and marg - supposedly, the reason women die more often from bird flu is that they are responsible for the care and slaughter of poultry.

BUT the reports on these cases don't seem to wash with the spin:

...the brother and sister had slaughtered the flock after a number of ducks had become sick and died.

The girl, who died on Monday, was the niece of a 30-year-old woman who died from the disease on 24 December. The two lived in the same home in Gharbiyya province, 90 km north of Cairo. Another member of the family, the woman’s nephew who was also diagnosed with bird flu, is in stable condition.

So the brother and sister slaughtered the birds, and aunt and neice died, but the nephew did not.

Also fyi - some reports say the woman and girls were sisters, others say they were aunt and neice. ...Some reports have them living in different houses.

Hard to sort through the contradictions...

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The headline says a lot. Same 2 deaths but more info about the spread:

2 More Die as Bird Flu Continues Spreading to Humans in Egypt

Local news media reports suggest that there have been about 20 suspected human cases in the northern part of Egypt.

At least three were among 33 members of an extended family that lived in a compound in Hanut in Gharbiya Province. The woman, who died last weekend; her brother; and a niece were said to have fallen ill after slaughtering ducks for a cousin’s wedding.

Local reports said the authorities had declared an emergency and were trying to kill all the birds for a quarter-mile around the compound, but were frustrated by residents who hid birds under beds. Slaughtered birds were buried at a cemetery, streets were cleaned, and all 33 family members were tested.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It seems to me like spreading by contact with the same members of the family.

I kind of find very sad that the community is hiding the birds, what else can they do when that is their food source.

This probably means that more cases will be found within family groups.

In many third world countries families are large and various members live in the same home, making easier for the spread of the diseases to take extended families at once.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It does seem that this is a cluster involving human-to-human transmission.

Only local reports are available on the "20 suspected human cases" - but Reuters just reported a 3rd death in the Gharbiya cluster.

Egyptian man dies of bird flu, 10th death

A 26-year-old Egyptian man died of bird flu on Wednesday after 10 days in hospital, an official of the World Health Organisation (WHO) told Reuters.

Brick factory worker Rida Farid Abdel Halim was the third member of an extended family in the Nile Delta province of Gharbia to die of the disease, said Hassan el-Bushra, WHO regional adviser for communicable diseases surveillance.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Update

Four more suspected cases -- 2 in Al Gharbiyah governorate and 2 in Bani Suwayf governorate. This makes seven total suspected cases, apparently -- 4 in Mahalla and 3 in Tanta...

Google-translated from Arabic:

Four suspected human cases of avian influenza in Beni Suef [Bani Suwayf] and Western [Al Gharbiyah]
Dec 27, 2006

Mohsen Karim, Hani Atef emerged: Pathological cases suspected of being infected with a new avian influenza in Beni Suef and Western [Al Gharbiyah]. Doctors at the hospital were surprised pathogenesis of Beni Suef appearance of the symptoms of the disease known Hoda Abdel-Hamid of the village of Blvia Amal Mohammad Omar from the village of Riyadh Pasha was accorded some medicines and drugs. As has been withdrawn samples and sent them to labs to make sure that catching the same disease. In Western [Al Gharbiyah] were yesterday detained two new hospital pathogenesis of Mahalla on suspicion injuries allegedly reported the disease, namely Ibrahim morning Fakhrani us from the village of Abu Sair, of the Center for Child and Smnod Mohamed Farhat Captain of the same village. The medical devices to withdraw samples of the two cases and sent to the Health Ministry's central labs. This brings the number of suspected cases of avian influenza in the bee Bank to 7 cases including 4 in the pathogenesis of hospital Mahala and 3 Hospital pathogenesis of Tanta.

www.alwafd.org...

Bani Suwayf governorate is ca. 100 km south of Cairo:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
OMG! I forgot to credit niteboy...

THANK YOU niteboy, for u2u'ing me about the first death in Egypt on December 24.

...When I got back to the topic later, I found there had been another death - and now another - and what appears to be a cluster involving human-to-human transmission.

Again, thanks niteboy.

- sofi

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sorry murphs - didn't see your post. THANK you.

Supports the NYTimes report that Local news media reports suggest that there have been about 20 suspected human cases in the northern part of Egypt.

...The UN has issued an official statement - and it sure looks whitewashed. No mention of any other outbreaks or cases except Gharbiyah.

Avian influenza in Egypt

27 December 2006

The Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population has informed WHO of three new human cases of avian influenza A(H5N1) virus infection. All three cases belong to one extended family in Gharbiyah province, 80 kilometres northwest of the capital city, Cairo. While being transferred and cared for at the country's designated avian influenza hospital, a 30 year-old female, a 15 year-old girl and a 26 year-old male died. The most recent death occurred on 27 December. The cases reportedly had contact with sick poultry (ducks).

Clinical specimens from the three cases were tested positive for avian influenza A(H5N1) virus by Egyptian Central Public Health Laboratory. The virus was also detected in specimens from two of the three patients by US Naval Medical Research Unit No.3 (NAMRU-3). The samples will be sent to WHO Collaborating Centre for further testing including virus characterization.

The Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population is conducting further investigations and has initiated public health measures. The other family members remain healthy and have been placed under close observation.

It is SO hard to have any faith in these fools.

I guess they only "confirm" H5N1 if the case is fatal. Maybe.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Sorry murphs - didn't see your post. THANK you.

It is SO hard to have any faith in these fools.

I guess they only "confirm" H5N1 if the case is fatal. Maybe.

Your welcome..

They can confirm H5NI in anyone. They aren't reporting alot of the non-fatal cases though.
I am sick of reading about "alleged" outbreaks or cases admitted to hospital in existing outbreaks and they say results will be available in a few days but they are never reported.
I think people would like to hear about to non-fatal as well as the fatal.
I am a nurse on the Major incident team(Of a large hospital) I certainly would like to know how things are progressing.
I am no scientist but I have a feeling this has gone H2H already..It is more connecting the dots and reading into what has not been said.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i hear you murphs.

BTW - What's your take on this?

My crow-sense says the official diagnosis for this "meningitis" epidemic is extremely suspicious: the symptoms reported are bird flu symptoms, including the meningitis:

Four S. China middle school students suffer epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis, one dies

Four students from Boyangzhen No. 1 Middle School in the city of Huazhou, South China's Guangdong Province, have been diagnosed to contract epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis and one died, said the provincial disease prevention and control center on Saturday.

The four students, all 13 years old, are classmates in the school.

They successively suffered headache, fever and vomit from Dec. 14 to 20 and were then confirmed to be infectious with epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis, said Peng Guowen, an official with the center.

Should we take this at face value, do you think? Or is it maybe a cover-up?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

i hear you murphs.

BTW - What's your take on this?

My crow-sense says the official diagnosis for this "meningitis" epidemic is extremely suspicious: the symptoms reported are bird flu symptoms, including the meningitis:

Should we take this at face value, do you think? Or is it maybe a cover-up?

LOL...My take is, take nothing at face value and it is China after all..
Hasn't a doctor reported lots of cover-ups of BF in China and a scorched earth policy with them..

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I should add a disclaimer and say there are too many cover-ups re: AF in many countries..
I know in my own country we are seeing a huge increase in colds, flu's and respiratory illness..
I have known of 10 people now in a very small community diagnosed with Asthma..1st visit to GP no tests, just irritating cough.
My Dad, Brother and nephew being 3..
I had a chat with my GP and friend about it and he is raging! The Dept. of Health has told them to treat all respiratory symptoms as asthma and with full blown treatment..Himself and many other GPs aren't happy..
Though one theory I have heard is DU from Iraq..We are on the prevailing wind. Friends of the Earth are doing research.
I don't know but after 18 years of nursing respiiratory illness is certainly on the increase and there has to be a reason..

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

Hasn't a doctor reported lots of cover-ups of BF in China and a scorched earth policy with them..

I was trying to be diplomatically discreet.

...Equally worrisome - the new WHO head is the woman who helped China cover-up SARS when it first appeared...

Lousy title but:

Will New WHO Head Hide Bird Flu Pandemic, or Blow the Whistle?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

I was trying to be diplomatically discreet.

...Equally worrisome - the new WHO head is the woman who helped China cover-up SARS when it first appeared...

Lousy title but:

Will New WHO Head Hide Bird Flu Pandemic, or Blow the Whistle?

I am not discreet and never will be..
I do try sometimes but never succeed. I get accused of being a tin foil head but I only post stuff that is certain or almost certain..Some people are so trusting, I think but I am from a country where all the conspiracy theories have now turned out to be true.
I don't think she will, she couldn't make that mistake. I think, possibly hope she is the best person for the job..

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have read many reports today..I haven't time to post all the links but a few things have popped out at me.
1.) 3 dead one family.
2.) currently between 17 & 20 suspected cases in the region..(depends on the report you read as to number)
3.) The biggie...This strain is Tamiflu resistant.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I don't see how sofi jumps to the conclusion that the disease was transmitted from human to human. I seems that everyone who got sick was in contact with the birds the family were raising.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I don't see how sofi jumps to the conclusion that the disease was transmitted from human to human. I seems that everyone who got sick was in contact with the birds the family were raising.

It's not just Sofi, Muaddib.
Alot of others feel it has gone H2H. The genetic sequencing has certainly changed. That is fact.
The spread of this has been kept under wraps and there is alot of speculation. Countries effected get most of their revenue from tourism, they want to protect their economy and rightly so.
If you search their are a few "experts" that certainly feel this has gone H2H.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
In case you missed it - new research shows that H5N1 'bird' flu now is showing a preference for humans:

Humans Preferred Host for Bird Flu

top topics

<<   2 >>

join