It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOTOL WHAT EVER HAPPENDED TO IT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   
WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO HOTOL I RECENTLY REMEBERED ABOUT THAT PROJECT IT WAS BRITISH OR SOME EUROPEAN PROJECT THAT WOULD MAKE SPACE FARRING EASY . THE PLAN WAS TO BUILD A TRANSPORT SPACEPLANE THAT WOULD LAUCH OFF A LARGE TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT. THEN THE HOTOL UNDER ITS OWN POWER COULD REACH ORBIT AND RETURN IT WAS SOME COOL REUSEABLE SPACE VECHICAL

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We aren't deaf. Stop yelling.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
SORRY i mean sorry ive taking in a lot of info lately and forgot i was writing in caps i apologize

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Could you turn off your Caps-Lock? Thanks.

Here is an interesting site about it

In 1982, Alan Bond, (who had worked on the Blue Streak rocket and the Daedalus starshp design) began work on air-breathing rocket engines. At around the same time, Robert Parkinson, at British Aerospace, began work on reusable launch vehicles. The next year, Bond patented his engine, known as RB454. The Ministry of Defence classified the design as TOP SECRET. Parkinson and Bond then together created a design for HOTOL (Horizontal Take-Off and Landing ), a revolutionary new space launcher. HOTOL, unlike other rockets, would not take Liquid Oxygen to burn with its fuel. Instead, it extracted oxygen from the air to burn with its fuel. This saved much weight, and allowed HOTOL to be extremely efficient.

HOTOL

Looks like it was cancelled.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
heres an offical pic of hotol i found i dunno why they scraped it maybe because a lack of funding

sputnik.freehomepage.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Here is a little more information,

HOTOL2

Can't find any information on why it was cancelled and if Hotel2 is still in the works, or if it was nixed as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 03:53 AM
link   
If I remember rightly BAe could not use the air-breathing rocket engine after Mrs Thatcher's government cancelled funding (BAe asked for only �3million - some suspected that the project was abandoned at the request of the US - did not want it to show up the shuttle) as the MOD said it was classfied.

This led to HOTOL using non-classified rocket engine and being carried by An225, again MOD complianed as the project was to have the Russian involved and it was abandoned.

Personally I suspect money was the critical issue in both cases

top topics

join