It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical free products and the world we live in.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
One should try to use products that are completely free of dihydrogen monoxide. Way too much of it in our foods and household products.

I had to search that one to figure it out.Funny nonetheless

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
How come the regular detergants at the store do not list the exact ingredients. It just says either "does or does not contain surfactants, free of or includes dyes and/or fragrances, and/or whether or not they are biodegradable" it does not actually list the names of any chemicals or ingredients. How am I supposed to know whats what?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Ok well I have had my ignorance denied. But how in the hell am I supposed to find chemically safe, or organic detergant, or whatever? I have never seen any of that stuff at Wal-Mart.[]So, any ideas? What is available, who are the companies?

We use Seventh Generation brand natural laundry detergent from our local organic food coop. They proudly DISCLOSE ALL INGREDIENTS. It is non-toxic, hypo allergenic, and biodegradable. For particularly dirty laundry, we add Borax and to stuff with cat/dog pee we add white vinegar; both available at the big W if you so insist upon patronizing their establishment.

Careful with the rest... more ignorance to be denied...

We use Ecover dishwashing soap, Seventh Generation makes all of our household paper products, Natracare makes feminine hygeine (plastic free/organic) products, Ivory soap (though now owned by P&G) is the only commercial soap without preservatives at your local grocery. Nature's Gate makes our lotion and toothpaste. Though Tom's of Maine also makes a good toothpaste. DR Bronner's shampoo is our choice for natural shampoo. My shoelaces are hemp rope/string from the hobby store. I store ALL of my food, spices, medicine, etc. in glass mason jars, from 1 gallon to half pint; glass lid. Plastic containers leach and are unstable in sun and high/low temp. We keep our dog free of fleas by powdering his food with black walnut hull powder and use absynth as a heartworm preventative. Diatoms as a wormer, and also used on bedding to keep fleas and ticks away. All of our cookware is stainless, cast iron, or pyrex; NO TEFLON. We cook with a wood hobo stove, not gas or electric. We drink organic shade grown yerba mate from the rainforests rather than plantation grown chemical coffee. We buy whatever we can fair-trade (farmers get paid market value) and organic certified.

We make our decisions for products based upon THE ENTIRE METAPHYSICAL PROCESS that is required to place the product in my hands.

Packaging
Farming practices
Environmental Concerns
Ethical Values of the store from which we purchased, especially how they treat employees (we've been boycotting walmart for 18 months now)
Our health
Locally produced is a plus
Ingredients on the label
No excessive processing
We buy no preprepared food... only ingredients; rice, beans, oatmeal, salt, pepper, spice, etc.

Sometimes you are forced to choose for example between locally grown and mildly pesticid-ed vs organic from across the globe. Some people argue over which is best. Neither is. The fact that you are making an active CHOICE is what is important. Making the choice with higher vibrant thought process and encourage others to do the same is far more vital than organic vs. local.

You do not want to just take what is most convenient. Convenience = increase corporate profit, degredation of environment and health, and a weakening of the ability for your local communities to support itself. You ultimately pay for convenience... or at least you pay for it with your concience as you know the children of tomorrow will have to pay for your failure to take life by the horns now.

Choice is the one freedom that you never loose and will ultimately place judgement upon your soul.

So choose.

I am,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
How come the regular detergants at the store do not list the exact ingredients. It just says either "does or does not contain surfactants, free of or includes dyes and/or fragrances, and/or whether or not they are biodegradable" it does not actually list the names of any chemicals or ingredients. How am I supposed to know whats what?

Regular detergents may not list there ingredients due to each company no doubt using a propiarty formula in most cases. I will give an example with dishwashing liquid. I called colgate palmolive for the list of ingredients in one of there dishwashing liquids and i was refused the ingredients due to company policy of not releasing this information to customers unless a doctor writes them a letter for a specific condition.I was then told once a doctor wrote to them they would see what they could do.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Most companies do not share information with the consumer they are not required to by law. Gasoline from Valero is the same as gasoline from exxon or anyone else, by and large. Refiners sell their oil to anyone in proximity and anyone with the pockets. This means valero buys citgo and citgo may buy exxon and so forth. I doubt whether there are any significant differences between brand a and brand b detergents.

I read a chemical marketing book which stated that 'since many companies use the same proportions of chemicals and what not...yadda...marketing is the real gimmick'. I think in fact it has gone to far. COmpanies are marketing their products that kill x% more germs, are x% more effecient than their competitor, have nanocrap, is safe for the environment.

Most of this is crap. Just find something that has surfactants and by happy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join