It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

use your brain to surf the internet, no more keyboards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0 Magazine) - -- Two years ago, a quadriplegic man started playing video games using his brain as a controller. That may just sound like fun and games for the unfortunate, but really, it spells the beginning of a radical change in how we interact with computers - and business will never be the same.

If you think that's mind-blowing, try to wrap your head around the sensational research that's been done on the brain of one Matthew Nagle by scientists at Brown University and three other institutions, in collaboration with Foxborough, Mass.-based company Cyberkinetics Neurotechnology Systems. The research was published for the first time last week in the British science journal Nature.

Nagle, a 26-year-old quadriplegic, was hooked up to a computer via an implant smaller than an aspirin that sits on top of his brain and reads electrical patterns. Using that technology, he learned how to move a cursor around a screen, play simple games, control a robotic arm, and even - couch potatoes, prepare to gasp in awe - turn his brain into a TV remote control. All while chatting amiably with the researchers. He even learned how to perform these tasks in less time than the average PC owner spends installing Microsoft (Charts) Windows.

money.cnn.com...

YOUR BRAIN could be the future controller for games. YOUR BRAIN could be the future remote for tv's!!!! im speechless. i hope this becomes reality.

share your thoughts...

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If the technology develops to the stage where it equals or surpasses the ability of conventional human interface devices to input data and interact with computers and other hardware, AND the "brain interface" is external, non-surgical and non-intrusive, such as an adhesive patch, then I'd be all for it. If not, then I'll pass. However the potential with this technology for positive advancements in medical and prosthetic applications, and enhancement of quality of life for disabled persons is very real. I hope that it sees some real and rapid development. Exciting stuff.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
hi guys. to tell you the truth this plus virtual reality glasses for a pc game like battlefield 2142 would be the shanizik. why the hell hasent virtual reality come to the public?? ive been waiting on this for years! long live the pc gamers!

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ill buy into that, thermal radioscopy along with the gravity drive would be able to accomplish lots of exorbitant manuvers, i would be more interested however in psychogravity probes for reconosance as if you were to find yourself in a perdicament send the probe with your mind and check things out, signal for help, or facet with technology to preform tasks. cool stuff indeed.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Since I suffer from Carpal tunnel this is the best news I 've heard in a long time and belive me I've tried every single mouse out there for almost 5 yrs until I found the E-pen so far not bad

but if this becomes a reality i will personally grab all my mice and keyboards
(I have about 20 mice and like 7 keyboards) and burn them while chanting naked drinking straight tequila to celebrate.

Nice find!

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It already takes some restraint to stop myself from typing what I really think about some members of ATS. If there was a direct brain interface, I'd be b& real quick.

On a serious not, I saw something about this on the discovery channel a few days ago. There was a man who was completely paralyzed, and he manuevered through a virtual world using only his thoughts. It's not the same guy as in the article though. It was pretty cool.

There was also a dude who couldn't move or speak, and he began work with a device that reads specific sounds if he thinks hard about them. Theoretically, he could build words by simply thinking about the individual sound. This could also be converted to text I'm sure.

top topics

join