It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mason 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hey everyone... I'm new to the ATS community with this post being my first, so moderators if this post seems somewhat out of place feel free to move it. Thanks.

I'm a sophomore in college and my roommate is in a fraternity. We both pledged Kappa Sigma last year but I dropped before the initiation ceremonies due to personal issues. Since then I have been exposed to other fraternal societies outside of the college lifestyle, with one being the Mason society. But, throughout everything I have maintained most of the knowledge that I learned as a pledge of Kappa Sigma's history. The reason why I am so interested in the Mason society is because Steven Alonzo Jackson, one of the founding fathers of Kappa Sigma in America, was a Mason. And the Kappa Sigma ritual is strongly influenced by Jackson. With that being said...

I have read different threads with plenty of pertinent information about specific topics on Masonry. What I want to know is the basic information about Masonry, issues such as: purpose, politics, and lifestyle. Does one have to devote a lifestyle to Masonry? Or is it just something that one can be involved in on the weekends? I just want a basic understanding of what Masonry is all about due to my involvement in Kappa Sigma and its ties to Masonry. Thanks for your help and it's great to be apart of the community.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Hey man welcome
Masonry can be either a life style or a side thing on weekends honestly, its up to you on how involved you get. (I guess its like that with everything)

As far as religion goes, you must believe in a supreme being to join. And thats about it as far as religion (though anti masons would say differently). Masonry urges men to find their own path through life.

As far as politics, politics and religion are forbidden to be discussed in the lodge.

And as far as what masonry is all about, well it depends on who you ask, because being a mason means different things to everyone.

What masonry is to me, is a special bond that I have made with brothers for the rest of my life, its a place I can go to with brothers that have upstanding moral character and are unbelievable lifelong friends.

join