It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealed Carry Options

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the
badge01, very happy to hear that the information is of use.

Very informative posts from everyone for that matter, it's good to see that people take their safety seriously.

Submergedthreat - another Kel-Tec fan !! Sounds like you're talking about their orignal handgun the 9mm P11 (10 in mag plus one chambered), they have just launched the PF-9, a similar gun but sized down with a single stack magazine, giving options for pocket carry.

If I can ever be of any assistance to anyone with specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

I agree about the engine block stories, the military uses a .50BMG for that job. I saw some interesting photos regarding an attempt to shoot off a standard Masterlock, sort of a Mythbusters deal. The .45 and 9mm barely dented it.

Stay safe and shoot straight.

Sorry Olde Man,

I just have to bust out laughing here with this story about Master Locks and Mythbusters. I actually like that program and the manner in which they bust alot of those myths or even confim them.

However my take on this is that you have to be some kind of dumb to attempt shooting any lock off with a gun..or rifle. Ive been around ricochetts. Not fun. Not cool.

I should also tell you that for years now I have carried with me constantly a set of lockpicks from Steve Arnolds Gun Room. I am on my fourth set now. The standard keyed master lock is one of the easiest locks to pick if you know what you are doing. I have also used them when locking myself out of my house and truck. No problem. It has taken me years go get comfortable with them but you can do it. A gun is not a suitable solution to a lock problem. A good hammer works much better. Picks if you dont want to leave little pee pee tracks leading back to your person.

As to carrying concealed. I agree ...the hot weather in Arizona poses a problem in concealability. I dont concealed carry much here in Virginia in the summer...but have mine in the truck or car close by. Winter time I do often carry concealed with my Colt Automatic .45 ACP or a 4 inch Tarus .357 magnum. I sometimes carry .38s in it verses the magnums.

.38 Special is fine in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. That is the key to any weapon ..verses huge caliber size. I have chosen to pass up the oohs and ahhs..of the .44 magnum for this very purpose. To much gun in my opinion.

As to the .22..once again how good are you with it. I own a Ruger Government automatic with the heavy bull barrel. It is a very fine and accurate pistol. I wouldnt carry concealed with it unless it was all I had. I enjoy plinking with this Ruger very much.

Thanks to all for thier posts.
Keep them in the X ring,

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hi Orangetom

The "lock shooting" photos were indeed informative, and I agree this shouldn't be attempted except under controlled conditions, apart from the negligible effects of 9x19mm and .45ACP mentioned earlier, here were the other results.

.223Rem - cut a perfect hole through the lock, both FMJ and a plastic ballistic tipped round.

.308Win - blew the bottom half of the lock off

12 gauge brenneke slug - disintengrated the lock

I too am a big fan of .22LR plinkers. During a desert shooting sesion which included maybe 100 rounds of .22LR just yesterday, I experienced 2 misfires in spite of heavy primer hits. While I was using cheap generic ammo, this is still the Achilles Heal of that venerable little tin can killer.

.44 Magnum is indeed a handful, but still a very useful hiking caliber in a nice 4 inch S&W or Taurus (if funds are tight) - .454 Casull on the other hand is truly wild, especially out of the new Ruger Alaskan 3 inch snub where it redefines the word uncontrollable.

Thanks again

Retseh

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
i would have to agree with some of the other posters...shot placement is the only stat you should look at .most modern cal. .45 .40 9mm .357 are perfect.now the model of weapon is on you ..look at your local pd and see what they carry if it is in the cal. range than buy it and about 1000 rounds of ammo and learn your new tool .youll hear so many old sayings until your sick but the bottom line is if you hit the perp. and he does not stop than shoot him til he does its not hard to pick up on.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I live in Georgia, and well, I don't see why you are all using such fancy gear. My mother carried an extremely old .32 snubbie in her purse for at least fourteen years, and I shot it at Charlie Elliot last saturday. Yall can keep all of your fancy schmansy stuff.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I have never had the privelege of shooting a .32 caliber firearm.

The .38 Special is still a very commonly found caliber coast to coast and still often reloaded. It can be fired from the .357 pistols as well as the rifles chambered for this caliber.
This was my main reason for investing in this caliber...Commonality and availability of ammunitions.

I never did care for the 9mm. Hence my preference for the .38/357 and also the .45 ACP. All of these have been around and available from coast to coast. This is one of the main reasons I chose these calbers. As a plus ..plenty of materials coast to coast for reloaders too.

If you are comfortable withe the .32 caliber...that is very good...this is the caliber with which you should stay.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I still say that a 9mm Walther PPK is reliable and concealable.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
when i feel like carrying i usually carry a rossi 44 special or a 40 caliber
auto usually a glock or sw sigma. also i usually carry then in open not concealed. In the town i do a lot of shopping in last year they had a shootout in the local mall during daylight hours. this year they had a stabbing. If crooks can see your heat you use it less.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

posted by Retseh

Hi O/t

I agree this shouldn't be attempted except under controlled conditions,

I am a big fan of .22LR plinkers . . a desert shooting session included maybe 100 rounds of .22LR yesterday, I experienced 2 misfires

in spite of heavy primer hits. While I was using cheap generic ammo, this is still the Achilles Heal of that venerable little tin can killer. Thanks again . . Retseh [Edited by Don W]

I have a different experience to report. Without counting I'm sure I have shot more than 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo including one box of .22 BB caps. My cousin brought back a matched pair of French dueling pistols in that caliber. Pretty near impossible to get hurt at 20 paces. WW2 stuff.
I've fired maybe 5,000 of "all other" rounds, mostly .45 and .38. I've never had a misfire. The closest I came was a bag of loose WW2 surplus .45 ammo, 500 rounds for $10. When I went out to shoot a few, in about 50% of the shots, you could hear the hammer fall. That is the only time I could ever hear a hammer fall. I stopped shooting at once, took the bag back, the guy said, I sell them "as is, where is." $10 "shot"

My luckiest day: I had a new Mod 60 S&W and loaded it with +P ammo. I visited my friend's auto salvage yard. I shot a few holes in car doors. Then someting possessed me to shoot a tire. The bullet came right back as I could hear it, but fortunately it missed me. Never again. Now, I did shoot at car windows too, but after the tire episode, always at a pre-planned angle. A lot of car glass will not break unless struck by a direct hit.

[edit on 1/7/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

hi i live in western missouri and grew up in the ozark mountains, so i've had considerable experience with all types of firearms. in the winter i carry a full size colt 1911 iwb at the small of the back. in the summer i carry a keltec pf 9. the loads i use are jacketed hollow points. at 15 feet they will pretty well shred a pine 2x4. the only problem with the pf9 is holding it down and trigger pull, as i'm 6'4 and have big hands. i solved that problem by having groove cut into the front of the trigger guard and adding an extension to the rear of the butt. the pf9 fits very well at the 5 oclock position and is very accessable. thanks jim

mod edit to remove personal information

[edit on 14-7-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Hope you all don't mind if I check in here. I am a long time gun user, and with the NWO snooping everywhere these days, a modern weapon and ammo from Walmart just isn't right for me. I don't want them to know how loaded I really am. So, I live in Ohio, southern part, and here we have an open carry law, but we need a permit to carry conceled. We can carry in the car now, thank you Governer Strictland, but the gun needs to be unloaded for this.

I carry a knock off of the 1858 Army Remington .44 revolver, made in Italy, I got it using another name. I can buy powder, balls, and caps without signing my name. Now, i know what you're thinking, that old thing won't do anything! Well, I can get off six in a hurry, and put them in a 5 inch circle from 45 yards, and a 10 inch circle from 75 yards. when a slow moving ball hits a bone, it doesn't break, it shatters. Any wound is an infected wound, the ball will carry dirt and cloth into the wound. I have a shoulder holster for carrying conceled, and a belt holster for carrying open, I carry it on my left for a cross draw.

I advise everyone to stock up and be ready, a lot of rumors are going on lately. Cheers!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I carry a knock off of the 1858 Army Remington .44 revolver, made in Italy, I got it using another name. I can buy powder, balls, and caps without signing my name. Now, i know what you're thinking, that old thing won't do anything! Well, I can get off six in a hurry, and put them in a 5 inch circle from 45 yards, and a 10 inch circle from 75 yards.

Is the barrel rifled? I was under the impression a spherical ball - are there any other kind - was aerodynamically unstable leading to large variations in shot path of travel. Based on your accuracy reported at 45/75 yards I was curious.

Commercial ammo will last a couple decades if stored correctly. Cool, dry and out of the sunshine. I'd buy a couple 100 rounds of my favorite handgun ammo, and get me a .22 rifle and 1000 rounds. Maybe every 5 years I'd replace the oldest half of my remaining stockpile. That would give me enough ammo on hand for any likely scenario. IMO.

[edit on 7/15/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I carry a knock off of the 1858 Army Remington .44 revolver, made in Italy, I got it using another name. I can buy powder, balls, and caps without signing my name. Now, i know what you're thinking, that old thing won't do anything! Well, I can get off six in a hurry, and put them in a 5 inch circle from 45 yards, and a 10 inch circle from 75 yards. when a slow moving ball hits a bone, it doesn't break, it shatters. Any wound is an infected wound, the ball will carry dirt and cloth into the wound. I have a shoulder holster for carrying conceled, and a belt holster for carrying open, I carry it on my left for a cross draw.

I advise everyone to stock up and be ready, a lot of rumors are going on lately. Cheers!

I wouldn't down play the effectiveness of your cap and ball revolver. I recently finished reading Evan Marshalls latest "Stopping Power" book, and he devotes an entire chapter to the subject of cap and ball handguns. Caliber for caliber, a round patched ball has more stopping power than a traditional conical FMJ moving at the same velocity. What those lead balls lack in accuracy, they make up for in terms of terminal ballistics.

PS - What do you use to seal the charge holes to prevent a chain fire, I hear shooters are still using Crisco - must be messy on the gun.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
I still say that a 9mm Walther PPK is reliable and concealable.

Well, the PPK sin't a horrendous choice. The .380ACP (9mm short) cartridge is a bit wimpy, although modern bullet designs do make it a bit more useful than it might have been a few years ago. It is a reliable pistol, but has a snappy recoil that takes a bit of getting used to and can cause the web of the firing hand ro ride up causing malfunctions. The PP is a bit easier to control, probably due to the heavier slide/longer barrel.

The thing is there are other pistols on the market of a similar size that are in better cartridges these days. As I said the .380 isn't completely useless, but 9mm Para is about as low as you should go for a carry piece.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
reply to post by autowrench

Is the barrel rifled? I was under the impression a spherical ball - are there any other kind - was aerodynamically unstable leading to large variations in shot path of travel. Based on your accuracy reported at 45/75 yards I was curious.

Yes, it is rifled, three grooves. also, the sight is filed and perfected by me, and with a two handed grip I am very accurate, thanks to a lot of practice. It costs me about $23 every time I shoot, as opposed to more with modern ammo.

Commercial ammo will last a couple decades if stored correctly. Cool, dry and out of the sunshine. I'd buy a couple 100 rounds of my favorite handgun ammo, and get me a .22 rifle and 1000 rounds. Maybe every 5 years I'd replace the oldest half of my remaining stockpile. That would give me enough ammo on hand for any likely scenario. IMO.

Agreed. I also have a .22 semi automatic, and for my pistol I use Pyrodex, which is a propellant designed for use in muzzleloading and black powder cartridge arms.
www.hodgdon.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
I wouldn't down play the effectiveness of your cap and ball revolver. I recently finished reading Evan Marshalls latest "Stopping Power" book, and he devotes an entire chapter to the subject of cap and ball handguns. Caliber for caliber, a round patched ball has more stopping power than a traditional conical FMJ moving at the same velocity. What those lead balls lack in accuracy, they make up for in terms of terminal ballistics.

PS - What do you use to seal the charge holes to prevent a chain fire, I hear shooters are still using Crisco - must be messy on the gun.

I use a compoundmcalled "Bore Butter" designed for that purpose, it's like a grease, but doesn't tend to melt in hot weather. I am quite aware of a chain-fire, I saw it happen once.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I carry all the time here in Florida both for work and self defense.

For work I carry a H&K USP 9mm full size with 18 round mags, 19 total rounds. I have the LEM/DAO trigger and night sights. I carry three loaded mags with Winchester Hydroshock ammo. I carry it in a Safarlinad ALS belt holster.I use to be a Glock guy as a cop, hell i was a Glock Armorer, but i liked the H&K better. I am a Private investigator now and the State of Florida only allows PI's to carry .38, .357 using .38 ammo, .380 auto, and 9mm. So that is why i carry a 9mm, i would rather have a 40cal or 45 acp but i have to follow the rules.

My off duty gun is a S&W 386PD in .357. It is a 7 shot 2.5 inch barrel, compact revolver. it only weighs like 20 oz's loaded so it makes it easy to carry when wearing shorts and t-shirts. I carry two 7 shot speed loaders with MAG SAFE ammo. I carry it in a Galco Speedmaster belt holster, Galco shoulder holster, and the good old BlackHawk Tactical fanny bag.

I am in the process of getting a S&W 340PD, 5 shot, .357 mag that weighs 13 oz's.

i know these guns have a hell of a bark and bite, but i can control them.

I rember reading Jeff Cooper the great Americna Gun Fighter and Gun Guru and i rember in his book it said to carry the biggest caliber you could handle. That man knew his guns, it is well worth reading his books, he was years ahead of his time.

Take care and be safe.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeusEx

Just as an aside on stopping power of the .22. I went to Idaho about 15 yrs. back to bow hunt bear. My guide gave the two that where in the camp the usual talk of safety and how he worked during the hunt. Next morning we got up and hiked out to our stand. When we left, the guide pulled out a Browning .22 auto and slung it over his shoulder. My partner asked him what that was for. The guide told us it was back up for the bears. I almost choked and went back into the lodge. He told us that he could and had lunged a charging bear with it at least a dozen times. The bears dropped within three steps after they had they're lungs deflated with the .22. Fortunatly I never had to find out wheather it worked or not. But just goes to show you how some folks use the .22!!!

Zindo

Forgot to add..i had my Ruger Redhawk stoked with Corebon 300gr solidsin a chest holster for MY backup!!!

[edit on 7/26/2008 by ZindoDoone]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join