It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrating a Birthday ...but Bethlehem Wrong Birthplace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The birthplace of Jesus has been taken for granted for some 1800+ years, as given in the Gospel of Luke. It tells us Joseph and a very pregnant Mary had to travel more than 90 miles from their residence in Nazareth to Joseph's Judean hometown of Bethlehem to be counted in a Roman census. Apostles agree that Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, already a city of royal origine, as King David had been born there a thousand years earlier. But another, an ancient Bethlehem exist in Galilee only a few miles from Nazareth. It has now been excavated and a more likely birthplace have emerged.

www.archaeology.org
But while Luke and Matthew describe Bethlehem in Judea as the birthplace of Jesus, "Menorah," the vast database of the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA), describes Bethlehem as an "ancient site" with Iron Age material and the fourth-century Church of the Nativity and associated Byzantine and medieval buildings. But there is a complete absence of information for antiquities from the Herodian period--that is, from the time around the birth of Jesus.

I had never before questioned the assumption that Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea. But in the early 1990s, as an archaeologist working for the IAA, I was contracted to perform some salvage excavations around building and infrastructure projects in a small rural community in the Galilee. When I started work, some of the people who lived around the site told me how Jesus was really born there, not in the south. Intrigued, I researched the archaeological evidence for Bethlehem in Judea at the time of Jesus and found nothing. This was very surprising, as Herodian remains should be the first thing one should find. What was even more surprising is what archaeologists had already uncovered and what I was to discover over the next 11 years of excavation at the small rural site--Bethlehem of Galilee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That Jesus chronologically was born around the Jewish new year of the spring solstice, is an established fact among historians. The myth of 24/25th of December was created to make it coincide with the pagan fest of the winter solstice, so there it stays.

And we can't move the birthplace. Operating since the crusades it would ruin the worlds oldest turist industry.

A Bethlehem of Galilee as birthplace of Jesus on Israeli territory and not on Palestinian soil, probably would mean nothing but more trouble to the Israelies.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS anyway!

Related News Links:
www.bethlehem-of-galilee.org

[edit on 23-12-2006 by khunmoon]

[edit on 24-12-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Your facts are not strictly true.

The Winter Solstice can fall on December the 21st or 22nd. The Celtic Festivle was then 4 days after the Solstice. Basically, if you lived four days passed the Solstice you were seen as being lucky.

Christmas day, actually falls on "Deus Sol Invictus" day of the Romans. It was the worship of the God, Mithras. There are loads of other things that happened on the day and they just combine them all to keep the sheple inline.

[edit on 23/12/2006 by Odium]

new topics

join