It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people care this much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wasn't it always called Christmas and Easter break, since the beginning of the Judeo-Christian establishment? Did it change and then change bacK?

Article

On Thursday, the Kern High School Board of Trustees voted to use the names Christmas and Easter instead of winter and spring breaks.

Personally this kind of act doesn't hold much weight, does it? I mean when a pope does it it's one thing, but an angry man over a school board decision? I don't know. I do hope he is alright and has learned from his mistake.

AAC

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow! This is very strange! It's the type of behavior you'd expect from a religious zealot upset that traditional names were being replaced.

I'm sure we'll learn more about his background and beliefs in the days to come.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So what do you tell taxpayers in the district when they demand Hanukah, Eid, Kwanza breaks as well? If its a public School how do you place a preference on one religion over others?

They used to be Winter recess, Mid-winter Recess (Even Energy saving week to save on heating ), and spring break. Before that they were Christmas, Lent, and then Easter

Pie

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The original poster kinda sorta didn't really quote the important big from that story:

A man used flammable liquid to light himself on fire, apparently to protest a San Joaquin Valley school district's decision to change the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter vacation.

Jeebuz!
What a nutter!
This guy was obviously unstable and likely the Christmas season helped push him over the edge as it so often does.

Personally, I can't even say the words "Merry Christmas" without it tasting like ashes in my mouth. I'm SO sick of it's corruption as a commercial tool rather than a holiday focused on friends and family.

Rather, I've taken to saying "Happy Yuletide" as a reference to the older Pagan celebration.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Well, I went to a Convent school and it was always a seasonal break. Ie. Spring, Summer, Winter etc..
And that was long before any form of PCness became established.

new topics

top topics

join