It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look how serious the US is about Terrorism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

[i[Originally posted by johnsky
And yes, in person most of them are like that too! Every damned time I go down to the states, I don't hear one please, thankyou, or youre welcome until I get back to Canada!

This sounds quite odd. Are you sure you're not walking around with a scowl on your face down here? People can sense animosity, and will react accordingly.

I don't know, but every time I hear something like the above, I wonder if I'm hearing the whole story...

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

And yes, in person most of them are like that too! Every damned time I go down to the states, I don't hear one please, thankyou, or youre welcome until I get back to Canada! Everyone rushes towards elevators to ensure they have a spot to stand, and NOBODY holds the door open! If you attempt to strike up a conversation with a random person they act as if youre the lowest piece of crap theyve ever seen!

Here in Canada, I'm so used to walking up to random people, asking about their day, and winding up in 20 minute conversations while travelling on the bus to wherever we're going. And they are allways apollogetic to break off the conversation because their stop is here... theres no need to be apollogetic, but they do it because its POLITE!

I'm sorry, if I continue, I'll say something I'll regret.
And no, this is no bias, EVERY time I meet an American, I think to myself, "maybe this one is different" yeah, right.

Yep, thats America for you. I'm an American and I find the same thing to be true. Come up and visit us in Alaska somtime--I think you'll find that us Alaskans are more like Canadians than "Lower-48'ers"

We're Alaskans first and Americans second.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ok, I know you probably didnt mean to sound like you were ranting about the US, but while reading it I felt as if it were one. I agree with some of your points about the US, there are a lot of people in this country (especially in the big cities) that are major pricks. However, there are also a lot of nice people here. I too can strike up a conversation on the bus and talk for 20 min. and be polite with people. I hear please and thank you's every day and I always make sure I use them when I'm around adults.....with friends is a different story

If you ask me, the polite-to-prick ratio is like 50-50. And whoever said northerners arent polite obviously havent taken a trip up here. I live in upper minnesota which is THE northland of the United States, and i think compared to the rest of the country we're probably the nicest next to Hawaii. I used to live in Hawaii too and the people there are the most open, polite, and nicest people you can imagine. I used to get invited to BBQ's all the time and I never even knew the people. Anyways to wrap things up, not all of us are bad, theres plenty of nice people here, you just gotta keep an open mind and look for em. And just for the record, our administration are a bunch of old douche bags.

[edit on 23-12-2006 by fookerboy69]

<< 1   >>

join