It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS How To....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In the sytyle of Spacedoubt's Teach us Something in One Sentence, and the famous ehow.com and WikiHow.com I'd like to introduce

The BTS How To.

Everyone here has something they're good at. You know how to do it, and we want to know how, so get to it. I'll go first.

How to care for a red eared slider.

I I've had a red eared slider named Raphael for 2/3rds of my life. Since he's still alive, I think I'm doing a decent job. Here's what I've learned so far.

Habitat:
Red eared sliders aquatic turtles that naturally live on the east coast of the United States. If you are setting up a glass tank, realize that the turtle will need plenty of room to swim, as well as a place on land to bask. You should also be sure to set up the tank in a warm area, and if possible, in direct sunlight. Though they can handle cold temperature, they prefer warmer ones. So be sure to have a heater for the water, and a sunlamp for his basking area.

Also, remember that the turtle will one day outgrow the enclosure. That means that you’ve once in a while get an upgrade.

Diet:
Red eared sliders will eat almost anything. They are omnivorous, which means they eat both meat and vegetation. Young turtles should be fed every day, but adults should be fed every 2-3 days. Here’s a list of possible foods,

1. Fish
2. Mealworms
3. aquatic snails
4. crickets
5. aquatic plants
6. leafy greens
7. Processed food sticks. (never exclusively)

Snails are especially important for their supply of calcium, but this can also be gained from a calcium block.

Sanitation

A good filtration system is necessary. This of course depends on the size of the tank, and the size of the turtle. In addition to water filtration, the tank must be manually cleaned about once a month. I usually empty the tank of all water, clean heavily with a garden hose, and fill it back up.

If the turtle is well cared for, it can survive for up to 25 years. I’ve had mine for 16, and he’s doing great.

Best of luck

Rasobasi420

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
How to find a good breeder to purchase a purebred dog.

1. Research until you're sick of the breed! Find out everything you can about the breed, the breed standard, health issues, temperament issues, exercise requirements and overall personality to be sure you have selected the right breed.

2. Don't be in a rush. Be willing to wait and research and question several breeders before settling on a pup. There's nothing worse than rushing into a purchase only to find you should have waited. Most people research for a year or so before deciding on a breeder.

3. Get a personal recommendation from someone that you trust if at all possible. That's the best way to know that your breeder has integrity.

4. Join an Internet discussion board specializing in the breed you desire. You can learn a lot more about real dogs and breeders on these boards.

5. Once you have the details of several breeders, check out their dogs on the breed pedigree database. "Get to know" the parents of your pup before you buy.

6. Once you decide on a breeder, question them thoroughly. And they should question you, too. A good breeder cares where their pups are going.

Breeder Questionaire

General Breeding
What are your breeding goals?
What is your breeding experience?
How often do you have a litter?
How many dogs do you have?
What traits do you value in your breed?
How many puppies have you sold?

This Litter
Why did you breed this litter?
How often / how many litters has this bitch bred?
Are the pups AKC registered?
Are they registered with any other registries?
Are they MicroChipped or Tattooed?
Are the pups temperament tested?
What will determine which pup I take?

Parents
What are their ages?
Can I see the parents when I visit?
What are the best and worst qualities of each parent?

Parents’ Medical
How many of each parent’s offspring have been X-rayed? (percentage)
Do any of these offspring have health issues? CHD? Elbow dysplasia?
Parents' CERF certification?
Parents' OFA or Penn Hip ratings?
Parents' Pedegree (ZW) Scores on Hips?
Von Willebrands factor testing results?
Can you provide a medical history?

Miscellaneous
Dog food, other food and Supplements?
What are the payment arrangements?
Can I see the contract before I purchase?
Can you give me references from previous buyers?
----------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, your breeder will have several years experience and their goals will center around bettering the breed. A bitch should be bred no more than twice or 3 times a year. And you don't want a breeder who has a whole farm full of dogs. The puppies need attention from the humans for proper socialization. The more "in-home" care the pups get, the better.

Temperament testing is important with many breeds. A good breeder should find out what you want in a dog and be able to select a pup for you or give you several from which to choose.

The pup's parents should be healthy and have tests results specific to the breed.

You should feel confidant that you know everything you need to know before buying the pup.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Okay, here’s a bit of info for you.
For those who don’t know, every web page out there, and every machine on a network for that matter, has an IP address. It’s something called a DNS (domain name service) that translates google.com into the IP address of 72.14.207.99. The Host Routing Table is a file that functions as a manual input to bypass the DNS all together, and directly name the IP address. So, I could input 72.14.207.99, and name it yahoo.com thereby directing me to google every time I type yahoo.com.

How do you do it? Check it out:

• Go to “My Computer-> C:/-> Windows -> system32-> drivers-> etc-> hosts.
• When you attempt to open the file you’ll be presented with a window telling you that windows can’t open the file. Choose Select program from a list and click OK
• Select notepad and click OK

You’ll See a page that looks like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

• Follow the instructions in the table. Enter names as you want them to correspond with web addresses. The additional comments don’t matter.

So, an edited host table would look like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
72.14.207.99 yahoo.com

(remembering that 72.14.207.99 is still google.

I once got into a lot of trouble for rewriting the google homepage to a less than appropriate site in high school, so please, don’t use this for evil.

This is also a tool used by villains while writing spy, and ad-ware, so if you’re curious to see if anyone has been re-writing your host table, check it out.

See you in my next post,

Rasobasi420

[edit on 27-12-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Here's one from one of my other threads. I figure if you've got a "How To" you might as well use it.

Build your own Projector

I put this in another thread, but I didn't think it was on a broad enough forum, so here it is.
www.denguru.com...
This is an instructional on how to build a projector built for under $300. My sisters boyfriend built one and it's very cool. The only thing that isn't mentioned in the article is a TV Box, which you can pick up at an electronics store or online for $20-$60 bucks.

One thing I can confirm is that playing video games on your wall is an awesome thing.

top topics

join