It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Birth Expected at Christmas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hail Flora full of fertile eggs
Parthenogenesis is with you
Blessed art thou among Komodos
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb
All the baby dragons.

Fertile Flora full of eggs
Populate the island now
And populate the island with males.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This makes me worry a bit.

Woodland Critter Christmas

At least its not a porcupine.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The whiptail lizards in my region reproduce exclusively by way of parthenogenesis,were as asexual lizards are not really anything new or remarkable.

Mammals are another story:

Fatherless Mice Created In Lab - CBS News

Virgin birth backs dads' role - ABC Australia

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think you guys are missing a very importatn point though. They say that lizards do this all the time and that they just discovered that komodos also do it too. What is so amazing about this?

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wswbkbroiler
What is so amazing about this?

We can't do it. That's what is amazing. Us .. the allegely higher life forms can't do it, but reptiles can. When all heck breaks loose on this planet and life itself is in danger, reptiles will be able to continue on much more easily than we could.

That's what I think is amazing.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
FF, 7A, this time of year isn't about fighting. It's about caring, and loving the baby Jesus.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
FF this is an interesting story. Nice find I admit the title is what got me to read it. Glad I did and 7A it is an appropriate title.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
What I found most interesting is this:

When I first read this, I assumed the offspring would be all clones of the mother since hers was the only genetic material being contributed (there was no "father" to add his genetic diversity.) I then read that the offspring were all males. This does make sense from the "species survival" standpoint that was illustrated in the article (if she were the last surviving female in a certain area, her male offspring could then mate with her, thus raising the population.)

Then I started wondering this: is it possible that the offspring are all clones of the mother, except for the difference in gender (albeit a big difference!).

Is there anyone well-versed enough in genetics on this thread who knows the answer and can help me?

BTW: FF, I thought your title was appropriate and did it's job in hooking me in to this thread. It's not any different than what some newspapers do every day with their "teaser" headlines. And, BTW, I'm sticking up for you even though I'm a "PenguinsFan" (we usually don't like FlyerFans)

[edit on 28-12-2006 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Is there anyone well-versed enough in genetics on this thread who knows the answer and can help me?

Scroll up to the Jeezard image and click the link I provided for parthenogenesis. That amply explains the process in regards to asexual lizards reproducing.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Scroll up to the Jeezard image and click the link I provided for parthenogenesis. That amply explains the process in regards to asexual lizards reproducing.

Got It...Thanks Rainmaker.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join