It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pmexplorer

If parry spent as much time looking after the needs of the club as he did looking after his own, we might have got somewhere in the last few years.

Parry brought the yanks in simply to protect his own job, as DIC had said that they wanted their own management team in place at boardroom level.

I don't agree with this public laundry, but a lot of the accusations have a point.

Especialy against parry.

Except for him......

we were offered ronaldo, walcott and rooney - and parry turned them down and picked le tallec instead

The thing is, we were offered them for a lot less money than they eventually went for - parry was cribbing over wages.

Then there's the Euro cup final ticket fiasco.

And the fact that with a worldwide fan base similar in numbers to Man U's, we are £80million PA behind them in merchandising.

Does parry still sound so good, and deserving of support?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I find it abhorrent that Hicks is out for Parry's blood given that this
is the week which should be about remembering and supporting the 96
people who tragically lost their lives on April 15th 1989.

Instead the headlines are full of Hicks' selfish greedy agenda.

Hicks has basically walked into our living room and unapologetically taken a big steaming dump on the carpet with a smile on his face.

That's how close to the bone this is, he has lied to us, tried to get rid of Rafa
and tried to load the club with his own debt whilst hiding behind the transfers of Torres, Babel and Skrtel etc.

We must do everything we can to get this man out of our club before
he does irreparable damage.

Justice for the 96
You'll Never Walk Alone.
May they rest in peace.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
he has a point when he says no league title in 10 years though, the americans aren't as stupid and evil as you all think, seriously look into the 2 hockey teams they own, they are well run organizations that make money

The Dallas Stars

The Montreal Canadians

Dallas has been a force in the western conference for years now, they have won cups and they are always in the playoffs

the Canadians have won the most Stanley Cups in NHL history and make the playoffs regularly, they are a religion in Montreal

they realize what they are doing, and the club they have, they also realize you need to challenge man utd, arsenal and chelsea in england to get foreign money because chelsea is moving in where arsenal and man utd are, and where is liverpool now? exactly...the people watching the premier league now have 2 reasons to buy a liverpool kit, gerrard, torres, while arsenal, man utd and chelsea have a lot more than 2

you can't get familiar with liverpools players when there isn't a regular line up

the yank has a point about winning in england and marketing the team and finances

but he also needs to get that new stadium built to prove he is committed and is going to have the club generating money like arsenal do now to actually spend

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm sorry,I have nothing of importance to add to this thread,I just found this picture and thought it was funny. (I'm a yiddo,I'm allowed to find it funny!!)

the page cropped it,missing words are "steal your"
i216.photobucket.com...

[edit on 14/4/2008 by Acidtastic]
2 missing words....

[edit on 14/4/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OSSkyWatcher
he has a point when he says no league title in 10 years though, the americans aren't as stupid and evil as you all think, seriously look into the 2 hockey teams they own, they are well run organizations that make money

The Dallas Stars

The Montreal Canadians

Dallas has been a force in the western conference for years now, they have won cups and they are always in the playoffs

the Canadians have won the most Stanley Cups in NHL history and make the playoffs regularly, they are a religion in Montreal

they realize what they are doing, and the club they have, they also realize you need to challenge man utd, arsenal and chelsea in england to get foreign money because chelsea is moving in where arsenal and man utd are, and where is liverpool now? exactly...the people watching the premier league now have 2 reasons to buy a liverpool kit, gerrard, torres, while arsenal, man utd and chelsea have a lot more than 2

you can't get familiar with liverpools players when there isn't a regular line up

the yank has a point about winning in england and marketing the team and finances

but he also needs to get that new stadium built to prove he is committed and is going to have the club generating money like arsenal do now to actually spend

Are you for real? Or just here on a wind-up.
Perhaps if you did some of your own research instead of merely
regurgitating internet articles you might begin to see the bigger picture.

I'm not sure where to even begin to adress the above :

So you think unsettling the club by approaching an unproven manager who has never won a single trophy in the middle of the season is the way to go about winning do you?

Or trying to load his own personal debt onto the club is the way forward?

Oh and if he's been such a successful leader as you to have been led to believe having mentioned the Dallas Stars and the Montreal Canadians
why is he hated so and left a trail of disaster in his wake?

www.utwatch.org...

sportsyenta.blogspot.com...

profile.myspace.com...

The sooner this man sells up the better.

Commercial

So far he has caused both a loss of revenue and an increase in costs expected to be borne by the club, with the potential for further lost revenue from his latest actions:

- Lost Revenue: the delay of over a year in starting construction of the new stadium has lost the club (at a conservative estimate) £25m of revenue.

- Increased Cost: the fact that Hicks expects Liverpool Football Club to fund the £245m of loans to Kop Holdings supporting the purchase price is costing the club (say) £15m pa.

- Potential Lost Revenue: if Hicks aforementioned attempt at management, a month before the end of the season, with this year's Champions League there to be won and next year's qualification still to be secured, distracts from matters on the pitch, then the club could lose a further £5m this year and (say) £15m next year.

Despite the above he appoints a Commercial Director some time ago to look after commercial matters for Mr Parry (and I presume that is also the person he will seek to put into Mr Parry's job if he does manage to get him sacked), he has cost the club £40m so far, with substantial further amounts still to come. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who have noticed any material improvement in commercial activity since Hicks arrival and appointment of a Commercial Director, as I am a heavy "consumer" of all things Liverpool and have yet to see any change. Of course, I have yet to see the ticket prices for next season!

I also understand that Hicks venture capital firm (Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst) invested in Corinthians in Brazil in the late 1990s, and has since made a less-than-glorious exit.

Shall I go on?

HICKS OUT!!

ps. Oh and to the above post, that is hilarious and truly original humour
right there. :shk:

[edit on 14-4-2008 by pmexplorer]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Oh. wow. a sterotypical "all scousers are theives" post.

Whatever will people think of next?

Maybe something original....

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
oh com' oooooon *holds out hands* I was jokin!! *flutters eyelids and smiles*

Banter!! Next season I'll start a Tottenham thread,and I give you full permission to roll out all the Jewish jokes you can think of. And I promise I won't get upset at all. Even if it's after we loose to the scum. (although you'll get some stick back)

i was joking,now give me back my effin stereo!!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Today marks the 18th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster. Eighteen years since 96 people went to watch a game of football and never came home.

Please offer a prayer for them and their families if you get the time today.

May they all rest in peace.

www.contrast.org...

Justice for the 96.

They will never walk alone.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wow,didn't realise it was the aniversary of the disaster. I remember being in my local video shop ath the time,they had the telly on with it live. I thought it was a film or something. Didn't understand what it was I was watching,as I was pretty young. It wasn't till i got home and my dad was glued to the box,with a look of horror in his eyes,that I realsied that something bad had happened.

R.I.P football fans.

And Rot In Hell the sun newspaper for what they reported afterwards.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
We will Never Forget You

There is nothing more than can be said.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

ME

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Tom Hicks interview shown on sky sports news.

A lot of this is true, at least as far as parry goes.

The rest is just PR and spin, trying to get the fans on his side.

BTW did anyone see the set-up of him "watching" the blackburn match with his family?

His 2 grandsons had obviously been dragged out of bad and weren't too happy about it

How dumb does this bloke think we are?

Gillett response to hicks
Thats a bit more like it - seems ol' george ain't as fond of the histrionics.

[edit on 17/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pmexplorer

Perhaps if you did some of your own research instead of merely
regurgitating internet articles you might begin to see the bigger picture.

www.utwatch.org...

sportsyenta.blogspot.com...

profile.myspace.com...

and you did what?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
RBS - who helped re-finance hicks/gillett yesterday announced job cuts as the credit squeeze begins to biye in earnest.
news.hereisthecity.com...

With a bit of luck this will force them to sell - they won't sell their US/Canadian interests to hold onto liverpool.

I'd say as an educated guess that we'll see something concrete start to happen by the end of may...

Fulham tomorrow - should be another 3 points, but rafa will probably rest some players, torres, gerrard, alonso at least.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

and you did what?

I responded to your lazy post and showed using links as well as giving my own opinion why your poorly made point was about as wide of the mark as you could possibly be while you simply cut and pasted a pile of rubbish about
the dallas rangers or whatever they're called.

Moving on...

Would love to have seen Neil Warnock's face when he got the result from Craven Cottage today, Rafa makes 7 changes and we still win comfortably, Mr.Megson too is another one who should keep his trap shut in future.

Lucas, Pennant and Masch were excellent today and yet another clean sheet for Pepe. 4th virtually secured now, let's hope we can continue our good form on Tuesday night and beyond.

The times (online) write: If Hicks is forced to sell to Dubai International Capital (DIC), who already have an agreement to buy from Gillett, the Arab investors would need to start on the right footing with supporters and would require Benitez’s patronage.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

We can only hope!

[edit on 19-4-2008 by pmexplorer]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmexplorer

I responded to your lazy post and showed using links as well as giving my own opinion why your poorly made point was about as wide of the mark as you could possibly be while you simply cut and pasted a pile of rubbish about
the dallas rangers or whatever they're called.

exactly you have no clue about the sports teams they own overseas, hicks NHL team the Dallas STARS just knocked last years Champions out of the playoffs tonight

w/e the team is called beating the defending champs

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

exactly you have no clue about the sports teams they own overseas, hicks NHL team the Dallas STARS just knocked last years Champions out of the playoffs tonight

w/e the team is called beating the defending champs

I'm delighted for them. Really I am but what does that prove exactly?

Educate yourself on Hicks reign at Corinthians football club :

It seems Tom Hicks leaves a trail of devastation wherever he goes. His disastrous foray into the Brazilian football market as chairman of Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst left Corinthians, second most popular club in Brazil, in a state of turmoil.

The parallels between what happened to Corinthians and what is currently happening at Liverpool are unsettling to say the least:

* There was the initial blaze of publicity and fanfare when the company bought the club in 1999, with promises of big spending on the best players and the construction of a brand new 45,000 seater stadium in the suburbs of Sao Paulo.

* There was an initial capital investment to tie down existing players and to finance the purchase one or two other additional players.

* The economics behind the Corinthians deal appeared to be based on ridiculously rudimentary logic: “If you add up all the fans of professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey in the United States, that number is lower than the number of Brazilians who are soccer fans.” Clearly, no proper risk analysis had been undertaken - a situation which resonates with the due diligence period of 3 days prior to the purchase of Liverpool.

* This flimsy approach was reinforced by the apparently rash and impulsive purchase of Cruzeiro six months later - traits which Liverpool fans are rapidly coming to associate with Hicks.

* There was also the emphasis on the cheaper “young players”, with the following quote from the (unfortunately named) Richard Law, president of Hicks’ subsidiary group: “Our job is not to turn back the inevitable, but to build Corinthians and Cruzeiro up from the junior ranks.” Hicks followed a similar tack following the takeover of Liverpool: “You need to keep your star players but also develop your young players. Young players are the lifeblood of your team, so we talked about how we can improve that side of the team.”

Corinthians had already won the Brazilian championship in 1998 so Hicks inherited a winning team. The initial expenditure assisted in retaining the league title in Dec 1999 and the club also won the inaugural FIFA Club World Championship the following month.

This is where things started to go wrong.

Unable to resist the temptation to make a quick buck, HICKS BEGAN SELLING TRANSFER RIGHTS TO THE CLUB’S STAR PLAYERS. On top of that, he decided on the bizarre idea of changing the traditional colour of the club’s shirt. He also introduced sponsorship (something which Corinthians fans felt defiled their heritage).

All of these things led to a furious reaction from supporters and widespread protest against Hicks and his partners. The company bailed out three years later, ironically having accused its local partner in Brazil of “misappropriating funds” (read the UTIMCO post and you’ll understand).

Corinthians began to spiral downwards. MSI took over the club’s management but, despite a league title in 1995, the financial problems initiated by Hicks proved too much of a burden. The club was relegated to the second tier of Brazilian football for the first time in its history in December 2007.

THERE WAS NO NEW STADIUM. Hicks invested about five hundred million dollars and within two years filed for bankruptcy.

In a recent prospectus issued to financial companies in London, Hicks claims in to be “a master of purchasing and growing professional sports teams”.

www.sundaymirror.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Biggest game of the season tomorrow, and the Liverpool thread resembles the Liverpool boardroom.

For those who forget:
LIVERPOOL What it means...The Semi Final Story

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Biggest game of the season tomorrow, and the Liverpool thread resembles the Liverpool boardroom.

Well it's hard to let a wind up merchant have his way.
But thanks for posting the vid.

It's gonna be a tense tight game but hopefully we can do the business.

It's going to be loud, can't wait!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
OK. So its the business end of it all tonight.

I reckon we need to go out and put two past Chelsea without conceding in order to pull this off. My heart tells me thats possible but my head is alot more pessimistic, because goals in European ties between us and them are as rare as rocking horse droppings.

My money is on Crouch and Torres up front, with Babel and Pennant on the wings, Gerrard and Mascha in the middle and a Riise, Hyppia, Skrtel and Carra back four.

We take a 2-0 to the Bridge, and maybe nick an away goal and Chelsea need to score 5.

If Chelsea score at Anfield then next week will be excrutiating in many ways.

I'm just hoping that the crowd are REALLY loud tonight. We need that 12th man and we also need to forget all this silly politics crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join