It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLordVeack

Got to disagree with you about our spending and where it would be acceptable for us to finish in the coming season.

Yes, a fair bit of money looks like it is being spent at the moment, however this will be offset by who leaves once Kenny has who he wants, so the net spend will come down as will hopefully the wage bill.

The squad is starting to look better in depth than in previous years, but we have yet to see what any new signings do for us and who may come through from the youngsters and how they will perform, although after watching Rodolpho's boys a few times last season i am confident we have a lot of young quality players that will serve us well for years to come.

As to what a successful season would be, for me Champions league football is essential, so anything higher than 4th would be a bonus. We cannot and should not expect to be suddenly back to the glory days of the 70's and 80's overnight.

The rebuilding has only been ongoing properly for 6 months, I think a proper title challenge in 2 seasons time is realistic, but this will depend how Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal get on in the transfer market.

A few other points for all to consider and comment on.

A) With the new financial fair play rules coming in, i think we are much better set up than City and Chelsea as their academies don't seem to produce much and they won't be able to just buy their way to glory. Unfortunately i think Manure will be OK, unless the Glazers do to them what H & G did to us.

B) What happens to Manure when old big red nose finally retires? Hate to say it, but he has been the reason they have been successful, and he won't be there forever....can't see a replacement coming from their bootroom, seriously doubt they'd let Ratboy do the job...reasons to be cheerful?

edit on 17-6-2011 by uptheirons! because: appalling spelling

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by uptheirons!

I respect your views my friend but I based my hopes that we could win the league next year on the fact that most of our rivals wont be able to strengthen their squads to depth that we will. Arsenal wont spend money, Manure are in massive debt which will cripple them once the fair play rules come in, and Abromovich is getting bored with football and his ageing squad wont be able to keep pace with the likes of Liverpool and Man City.
Also remember that they will have to cope with Europe as well while our players will be fully rested. Dont be surprised if the King plays the kids from the academy in the cup games and keeps his best to attack the league!
"And I hate the new kit! Blue in a LFC kit!? No thanks."

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLordVeack

I agree with Arsenal not spending, but it's still early to write of City and Chelski, i wouldn't be surprised if Hyddink (spelt correctly?) is given a blank cheque once its finally confirmed he's the new boss in London, and City are bound to spend big.

Manure seem to be spooked by our dealings in the market which prompted them to get in early too for Jones, and the £17M they spent on him proves they have some money available, so can't write them off either yet, plus their youth isn't as bad as other clubs and they do have a few coming through.

Also, the financial fair play rules don't come into full effect for another couple of seasons, so the effect will be minimal at the moment, plus it is based on revenue versus outlay, so Utd are better placed than City or Chelsea, they are definately still the biggest threat.

I think you are right about Kenny playing more youth, especially in the cups, and with Rodolpho Borrell now in charge of the reserves then i'd expect to see a lot of the youth players in the reserves and first team squad.

I'd say that Raheem Sterling, Adam Morgan and Connor Coady will get first team action this season, maybe even in the league.
edit on 17-6-2011 by uptheirons! because: needed to say more

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I dont understand liverpool...ive supported them my whole life but cmon they moan and moan they need money and they ACTUALY get the money they need from new owners and when they buy players they buy a guy for 20mil from sunderland who played for england within the first few days of signing and was useless and theres a few other stupid signings they are after then you look at chelsea and man city or man united and they buy world class players for LESS money than we paid for henderson...cmon king kenny do your magic ffs.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed how many players have been mentioned throughout the premiere league who are moving for silly money who I had never heard of before! henderson was one of them... However I wouldn't say he's rubbish. Surely if the King of the Kop has agreed a massive fee for him he must have seen something in him. Keep the faith my friend. YNWA...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLordVeack
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed how many players have been mentioned throughout the premiere league who are moving for silly money who I had never heard of before! henderson was one of them... However I wouldn't say he's rubbish. Surely if the King of the Kop has agreed a massive fee for him he must have seen something in him. Keep the faith my friend. YNWA...

True but in all honesty that 20mil could of been put towards maybe aguero or eto lol i know we are after the young winger from HSV elija i think his name is who i watched a few times on tv and hes really good and would get my vote over henderson any day...but with this being king kenny he must have a plan just hope he kick starts it soon im tired of watching a legendary team be outplayed by home team doncaster rovers lol

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

Hi Yossarian, love the name. May I say I am an American who grew up all things soccer (Soccer Made in Germany with Toby Charles was my first sports show) and I follow the game as closely as I can. I enjoy the Premiership and Liverpool is exciting - my boys love a certain youtube vid of Steve Gerrards best goals - anyhoo, they seem to be stagnating as the ownership issues hurt the team. Who do you see them getting this summer and what is your outlook now that some things have been settled - or is that even close to being the case? Thanks - interested in world soccer...

CJ

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
FSG's philosophy is to sign young players on long contracts, with KK wanting English players, hence Carroll and Henderson, with Commoli recommending targets and KK approving them.

The only window open at the moment is the EPL/British window (in Europe)

The European window doesn't open until 1st July, and the Copa America is running as well.

I don't expect much more activity before then.

All this twitter talk and speculation is nonsense - I doubt very much we'll hear anything until a signing is complete, because in true Liverpool tradition, KK and FSG want to do things behind closed doors.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
wlf 20mil for henderson and 20mil for downing...wlf is kenny doing here what a waste of money he could of easily bought better players than them at easily 5mil less than what he paid for these muppets...fair enough i like that he bought charlie adam that guy amazes me but why downing and henderson players that always look confused when playing ffs???

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
he could of easily bought better players than them at easily 5mil less than what he paid for these muppets..

Like who?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

he could of easily bought better players than them at easily 5mil less than what he paid for these muppets..

Like who?
HSV's eljero elia who we were supposed to be buying for around 12mil who ive watched quite a few times and is amazing, eden hazard from lille was a target for around 14mil who is insanely talented, danny from zenit st petersberg who from what i see and read is supposedly the next christiano ronaldo and was 12mil, if hes after english youngsters id of bought aaron lennon without thinking twice about it or even shaun wright-phillips, yoann gourcuff, jesus navas who we were supposed to be buying, angel di maria who is insanely talented and theres a HUGE list of potential players we could of bought WAY better than jordan henderson and stuart downing that could of possibly helped us get into the top 2-3 of the table with king kennys help but in my opinion right now they are wasting valuable money that we have needed for way 2 many years.

P.S we even missed out on connor wickham to SUNDERLAND of all teams and he looks a gem of a player

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Well Elia came with a £17million price tag, hardly cheap.

Eden Hazard was quoted as saying: "I am still a Lille player at the moment and am not thinking about a transfer. I have plenty of things to learn at my current club." And Lille club president Michel Seydoux has already made it clear that he has no intention of selling the winger.

Danny signed a contract extension with Zenit St Petersburg in June sometime.

Angel di Maria is expecting a new contract at Real Madrid after an impressive first season, so that transfer was always highly unlikely.

Jesus Navas would have cost us a cool £20 million.

Connor Wickham was always going to be a risky buy, especially at the quoted £12 Sunderland paid for him. He's only 18 and is unproven in the Premiership.

Yoann Gourcuff, a player I really like, is injured and has been all pre-season.

if hes after english youngsters id of bought aaron lennon without thinking twice about it or even shaun wright-phillips,

I'll pretend I didn't see that!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
all of them are still cheaper than downing and henderson and WAY better than them neither of them are worth 20mil and i think you will even admit with me jesus nevas is worth 20mil easily hes really good and cmon your telling me you wouldnt want lennon a speed merchant whos very good at crossing and dribbling over jordan henderson who looks like he will suck his thumb when people get past him?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Well what you have to remember is that clubs ALWAYS pay more for young English players, that's just the way it is. The Connor Wickham deal is evidence of that.

Would I want Lennon? I don't know really. He has never bowled me over to be quite honest. If the price was right, maybe. I personally really like Henderson. I remember him making his debut for Sunderland and he really impressed me. I made a mental note of him and he slowly but surely broke into the Sunderland team and began playing consistantly well. Yes, we paid too much for him but like I said, we always do for young English talent.

Players like Jesus Navas can be quite the gamble, especially for £20 million. So many players similar to him have come to the Premiership and died on their arse. I'd much prefer to invest in Premiership proven English talent than a foreign fancy.

I'm happy with the signings so far. Not estatic, but happy.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The latest one i've heard is Higuain.... and there are several sources discussing this.
That would be a good signing.

I'm not massively impressed by any of the signings, and I still think Andy Carroll was a ridiculous waste of money, although we got £50m for Torres so whatever....

I'm guessing Hendo is earmarked to replace Gerry.... but what's he gonna do in the meantime.... ?

We have more than enough central midfielders..... it's wide men we need and while I think Downing is a good player and certainly a great addition to any squad, I'm not sure he exactly the best that money could buy..... and we have money, so.... yeah.

All the reports I'm seeing keep saying LFC are spending money like it's out of fashion and Liverpool have now spent £100m since KK took over...... But just look at what we got for that money, seriously??

IMHO, we got one absolutely outstanding player in Suarez..... one Ridiculously overrated and overpriced player in Carroll..... one gamble but with great potential in Hendo.... One fine footballer and for a bargain price in Adam... One quality squad player and perfectly competent player in Downing...... but really?

£100m for that lot?

We've paid over the odds for the "Best" of British talent and ended up with a few decent squad players, none of whom are better than our current players.

I'm very disappointed in our buys so far.... I like Adam, and Downing will add the width we've long needed..... but we really need another wide man, obviously a left back and really another striker.

And they're not gonna come cheap.... especially if we keep buying British players at top money.

We were supposed to be interested in Mata.... and Jeffren.... in fact there are rumours that we made an offer for Jeffren yesterday, but we'll see.

We need to clear out some crap too....
edit on 15/7/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This video is HILARIOUS.... and makes ya proud

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

were is it you get your transfer info? seems like u get alot of good stuff from it...the websites i use are usualy pathetic they say we are buying someone or put a bid in and turns out we havent

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

were is it you get your transfer info? seems like u get alot of good stuff from it...the websites i use are usualy pathetic they say we are buying someone or put a bid in and turns out we havent

Try here man, transfer section -

www.redandwhitekop.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cassiopeia

Thanks

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join