It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

I'm gonna pop you on ignore now - it's pretty obvious that you are on a wind up mission and have come into the LIVERPOOL thread with no intention other than to spoil it for LIVERPOOL fans.

I have nothing to prove to you, and nothing further to say - I suggest you make a thread for whatever team you "support" and then stick to that.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Long time Liverpool FC follower here and I only found the thread today lol.

So who thinks we can get a champo league spot this year?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by roasted aliv3
Long time Liverpool FC follower here and I only found the thread today lol.

So who thinks we can get a champo league spot this year?

Welcome to the LFC thread

Hmmmmmm

Mathematically yes.... but I'm not sure.
A few teams are stumbling right now so It is possible.

My prediction (With Hodgson in charge mind you) was 8th-12th..... but since Journeyman Hodgson has left, things have picked up and players are happy and the team is starting to really gel and play well together.
There are always hiccups but I think we're doing ok.

I think 5th..... I really hope better but I think we'll get 5th.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

yeah I agree with you about the team being more confident with kenny at the helm but we still look weak in Europe look at what happened with braga! Extra dissapointing because the final is in Dublin!
Would have loved to see the pool come here for the final and they have a phenomenal fan base here too so it would have been like a home game in terms of support.
I think we can overtake spurs though it be sad to see them get champions league and not us!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

but we still look weak in Europe look at what happened with braga!

Well we need depth, we have possible the weakest and smallest squad in the league.
With Suarez cup tied, Gerry out and so on... it never really looked like happening.
We need to add to the squad in the summer so that we have a team of players who are capable of doing something special and winning a match on their own, rather than just 2-3 players.

If we play our cards right and don't throw money away this summer, I think we can have a pretty strong and very competent team ready for next season.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I see Lucas signed a new 4 year deal it was reported today.

So that's menezes, dunga, hodgson, rafa, kenny and commoli who all rate the lad - just as I defended him from the first.

Some people need to have a nice helping of humble pie and admit they were wrong.

The 24 year-old has emerged over the last two years as one of the club’s most improved players and the club’s newly-appointed director of football, Damien Comolli, revealed that tying him to a long-term deal was a priority after his arrival on Merseyside last year.

The former Gremio player had made no secret of his desire to extend his stay at the club, despite facing fierce criticism for his early displays, and manager Kenny Dalglish admitted on Wednesday that the affection was mutual.

“He is happy to be here and to be playing for the club,” said the Scot.

“He is getting everything he deserves at the moment, including being a fixture in the Brazilian team, because of how he has performed on the pitch.

''Certainly since I came in he has been a great asset to the team and has done tremendously well.
'We're delighted for him because he's a really honest, genuine fella and that's reflected in the way he plays.

Lucas, after struggling more than most during Liverpool's slump in form last season believes the club can now start to look forward to regaining their place among Europe's elite.

''Everyone wants to be in the Champions League again and to win titles,'' he said.

''That is what Liverpool is about. The way everything is going I think it will be a very good next few seasons.

''We have some new players who have come here and that shows we are moving in the right direction.

''I am pleased with the way Liverpool tried to keep me and now I want to keep doing my best for them.

''For me it was an easy decision because I know how big Liverpool are and I can see Liverpool are committed to me and are planning for a future with me.

''I don't think people thought I could stay here for so long, but now I want to just keep on improving.''

source

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

LOL

Well he's certainly improved (but then that's not difficult) but he still (for me) isn't quite the complete player.
He still lacks composure (although his passing has greatly improved) and still doesn't read the game as well as he could... but We'll see.

Maybe he's just a late bloomer.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Morning chaps. Still in shock after losing like that to Woy.

It's gonna take a lot to get us over what g&h did, but I still got faith.

P.s. It's great to find this thread on here.
JFT96

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I think it was inevitable that we'd lose to Brom... I said the same to my mate and even said 2-1.... West Brom aren't too bad a team really.... and for us, despite a few good results and a change in atmosphere in the dressing room, not a lot has changed at the 'Pool.

Roll on the summer.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

2-1

Go Baggies!

Thanks for Roy!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Thanks for Roy!

You can keep pigeon face hope he does some good at brom

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Thanks for Roy!

You can keep pigeon face hope he does some good at brom

TBF It's about his level. (I don't mean that disrespectfully, just that he won't be weighed down by expectations there).

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Here's the thing - his pass completion has NEVER dropped below 80% - which is better than any other player in our squad.
And before you say about that old chestnut of going sideways or backwards, take a look at his chalkboards.

He's a better player than meireles, who it seems is adored because he scored a couple of decent goals, but does precious little else.

I also watch him for the Brazil team, and everything about his game is just fine - the fact that he has a lot of rubbish around him doesn't help.

He's a cracking little player, hard as nails, can pass and tackle, and patrols well in front of the back four - just because he doesn't slide in from 5 yards like masch did, doesn't mean he's not effective.

He was about the best player on the pitch for us against WBA - and he has done that on a regular basis this season.

Thing is, he does HIS job - but people love to blame him when other players don't do theirs.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The statistics say that Lucas is a good player yet when you watch him he looks dreadful! He's unexciting, always has his back to goal and is far to eager to pass rather than run with the ball...
I'm afraid he's not my cup of tea but I understand where his fans are coming from.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

As I said, I'm, happy to admit that he's improved, he has become a better player for sure.
He's certainly nothing special... I'm not gonna start singing his praises because he's an average player in a below average squad.

It's not difficult to look decent when you're playing with the shower of shi*e that is LFC.

As I said, he's better, I admit quite happily that he's improved.... but the fact that he even looks good in our team is a problem, not something to be pleased about... it says something about the quality and depth of our squad, not about the talent and skills of Lucas Leiva.

I can't fault his commitment and can only applaud his work-rate and passion for the club and the game, and perhaps if the rest of our team had his drive and ambition, we may have got somewhere this season.

I really don't wanna drag up some old random argument man... It's pointless.

I think Lucas has now become an average player from a pretty poor player.

You think he's a great prospect and is a great player, soon to be fantastic player.

And you know what? That's fine mate.

People can have different opinions and it's all good.... That's why I love footy man.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I think he does a thankless job, and does it well.

Every team needs a "water carrier" and he does it very well, not only for us, but for Brazil as well, where he has been outstanding in recent games, which kind of negates the point about our squad I suppose.

With better movement in front and less hoofers, he really shines - take a look at Brazils recent games...

Meiereles seems to be everybody's darling because he scored a few goals - but he has given us precious little else. He doesn't tackle, often misplaces passes, and doesn't track back.

IMO Lucas is a far better player, in the role he has.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Gerrard, Kelly and Agger all out for the rest of the season. I see the lengthening injury list has placed King Kennys future as Liverpool manager in jeopardy. Its said the Henry has been alarmed at just how quick the team slumped after losing one or two key players. To make it worse I've even been told that Mourinho has placed Liverpool at the top of his list if he comes back to the Premiereship...
I honestly fear that Kenny may not get the job...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RufusDriftwood

Originally posted by RufusDriftwood
To make it worse I've even been told that Mourinho has placed Liverpool at the top of his list if he comes back to the Premiereship...
I honestly fear that Kenny may not get the job...

Make it worse?

I would love to see Mourinho get the job. He's exactly what we need.

Much rather him than Kenny.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Would you!? Not that I'm saying Mourinho is a bad manager or anything but I think Kenny's love of the club and the fans shines through and is infectious. I have a small Liverpool book where Mourinho says he's always been a Liverpool fan and it documents a few interviews where he calls Liverpool, "My Liverpool."
Who knows, you may get your wish if Kenny can't get the team up off their knees.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

See wasn't he an attacking midfielder to start with?
I think he's kinda taken over (or seems to have) the Mascherano, Dogged/Tireless midfielder role.... and because he never stops running and gives 100% every game, he actually does a decent job in this role.

But it's like with a lot of our players (Kuyt on the right wing, Babel on the wing, Cole on the wing) although Kuyt has become a fantastic wide man, Kudos to Benitez for that... even the Dutch use him in that position, we tend to play players out of position..

And all this "making do" and playing player out of position.... why?

We're not some bottom of the table, poor team who has to assemble a team of makeshift players and try as best we can.... I like flexible, adaptable players as much as the next man... but jesus... can we just get players that we need and who are fit for purpose?

Poulsen was a crap buy too...

Not massively impressed with Meireles, although he's had a few good games... and the way our season has gone.. even scoring a couple of sweet goals in a season is enough to make your name at LFC.

I look at our squad and I'm not filled with confidence... as I've said, roll on the summer.
But It'll be tricky to attract the players we need if we're not in Europe... maybe we should give some of the kids a go... heaven forbid I know...

Can't remember the last time we had a decent player (Kelly and possibly Spearing aside) come through the system and establish themselves as a first team regular.

We even flogged a load of our quality youth players a while back man.... crazy.

edit on 8/4/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join