It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The whole youth system needed overhauling, and it was done in a fairly short space of time.

If the players are good enough, they will come through - players like Gerrard came through more by accident than design.

The model being worked on was the Barca model, where every team at every level plays the same systems or systems, so that when making the step up, young players already know the role they have to play.

Can you believe that when Benitez first came, the youth teams didn't even use tactics? They just went out and played in a set position and hoped for the best.
Something else we can thank mr parry for...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

It is a joke mate... and I think just looking at the youth players who've left in recent years, tells me that we had some real quality.
Look through the leagues from the Championship to league 2 and there are loads of our ex-youth players... It just saddens me that it happens.

Even back to players like Mellor and Stephen Wright and others.... it happens year after year after year....

I LOVED Warnock and even now he's one of the best left backs in the league... and what have we just bought??

Really is just ridiculous.... no good, young English players get a crack any more and no youth players are really brought through.

No wonder our national game is suffering.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's only going to get worse under this manager.

Losing to Northampton with a team half full of internationals?

Really, the guy hasn't got a clue.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Guys, you're turning into Spurs fans with the constant criticism.

Its not the Liverpool way.

Do you really want us to have a new manager every 6 months?

Time. The man needs time.

Lets have some perspective. There have been shock cup exits every year since the competition began. This is no different.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

It's not the cup exit so much Nef - I said from the start that hodgson wasn't qualified, and nothing I have seen so far has made me change my mind, we are playing even worse than last season, and I didn't think that was possible.

Every game when things aren't going right, the man looks totally clueless - in fact he looks like a rabbit caught in headlights.

That, coupled with the signing of Poulsen and Koncheskey has left a sour taste in my mouth - he signs Meireles, says he's been scouting him since his fulham days, then says he doesn't know where to play him!
His complete capitulation to the whiskey nosed one is something else as well.

It's just excuse after excuse, while he contradicts himself, blaming the players and everyone but himself.

He can't turn it around because he is NOT and has never been anything but a journeyman manager, who was given the job basically by media acclaim.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
*Sigh*

Oh well.....

I don't think anyone can just say "we need time"

This is truly a crisis.... It's a joke.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Never thought I would say this but now I cant wait until west brom play liverpool (again)... Easy 3 points methinks!

Unreal and sad..

edit on 3-10-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I certainly hope Liverpool can pull it together and finish well up the table, you guys certainly look in disarray like your missing a team leader or something. I dont think anyone is gonna catch Chelsea,

I know we are only 7 games in but as a Newcastle supporter I was just gutted after todays result for our side.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Losing 2 -1 at Anfield to Blackpool is unforgivable.

Shankly will be turning in his grave.

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Liverpool Football Club tonight issued the following press statement:

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting, the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutcheon.

This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity.

www.liverpoolfc.tv...

The end is in sight - let's just hope the new owners are better.

Then again, could they be any worse?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Roush Fenway Racing.

Martin Broughton, Liverpool FC Chairman, said:

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive. The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.

"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.

"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."

Note to editors:

The sale is conditional on Premier League approval, resolution of the dispute concerning Board membership and other matters.

www.liverpoolfc.tv...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think this is a win for the Liverpool fans if they can remain patient. This guy respects tradition and builds winners from the youth to the top of the club. Red Sox have won the World Series 2 times since this guy took them over. You might have to wait a bit on a new stadium. Not super deep pockets but way better than the owners you have now.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
LFC win mandatory injunction against h&g meaning the sale goes through.

h&g HAVE to have grounds for appeal, but as this is not a US court it must be made on grounds that the Judge ruled unfairly or incorrectly - in other words on a point of law or procedural error.

Plus Broughton is applying for a Declamatory statement to negate any attempts at future litigation.

NESV, welcome to LFC, now prove your actions equal your words.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well that should be it... court ruled that Hicks and Gillett can't appeal either.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the misery.

Unless we have empty promises and purely business minded owners again.

I hope not, I hope we climb our way back to the level that we belong.

YNWA

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

John Henry (the front man for the consortium) has already been in contact with a couple of supporters groups, and although he hasn't come straight out and promised the kind of fans charter that the Red Sox have, he has intimated that this would be the case.

It's a 17 man consortium of very rich people and the NYT company, with a very successful track record in sports management.

My understanding is that legally binding agreements were put in place during the sales process that the sale would be done with "cash" meaning no debt, that stadium development would be done swiftly, and that cash would be available for new players.

They carry a debt of 29% of turnover with the red sox, which is amongst the best in the league, and under them the red sox won their first "world championship" for 86 years.

They talk the talk, let's see if they walk the walk...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yeah I've kinda read up a bit about them and remember Broughton or someone saying about clauses for the new buyer including stadium and money for players, so that is definitely something.
I really hope this consortium are the answers to our prayers mate, It's about time we had some good news.

We've had like 3 and half years of crap with Hicks and Gillett.

"But the pair are also believed to have guaranteed to invest over £200m in the club, but they refused to discuss figures.

They confirmed they will make funds available, both for team strengthening and the building of the club's new stadium in Stanley Park and denied they had secured the club on borrowed money."

And them saying things like:

"We have purchased the club with no debt on the club," said Gillett. "We believe in the future of the club, the future of the league, the new TV contracts are outstanding and we are proud to be a part of it."

I'm glad contracts and clauses were signed this time and I really hope this is it.

Bring the Passion and Smiles back to Anfield.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

indeed, we need the smiles back - let's not forget though, that Broughton is a hell of a lot shrewder than moores and parry, and doesn't stand to gain anything except an enhanced reputation
rather than the extra few million moores made by selling to h&g instead of DIC.

edit on 13/10/2010 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I know man, he seems decent and as I said before, genuinely looks like he has the club's and fan's best interests at heart.

Good on him, this is a great day whatever happens.

Those wankers are gone.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Not yet they aren't...

FOOTBALL:

Texas court grants temporary injunction blocking sale of Liverpool, says BBC's Dan Roan

Scumbags.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Yeah I know man, was just reading about it.

There's issues of jurisdiction and whether or not this injunction has any real weight.

But I think they will have to deal with it either here or abroad.

They can't just fook off can they? They gotta keep fookin' us over.

Bastards

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join