It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is getting too funny.

Talksport ran a story saying Rafa had walked, and people everywhere are lapping it up only for it to be a load of cobblers

On another note, if we only have 1.5 mil to spend, why have we bought a defender for 3 mil?

Silly season indeed.

Freeborn

I'll take your wager, and say that Liverpool will finish in the top four, within ten points of the winners.

Personally I think it'll be closer, but we got to make it a bit interesting

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Liverpool finished last season 4 points adrift.
You think they'll do better, I don't.
10 points is a lot.
How about a wager per point either side of 5 points adrift?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

a spread bet?

OK

depending on the spread...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
4-0 against Stoke! It's a step in the right direction but it still doesn't hide the fact that we have no strength in depth and if we get a serious injury to our first team then we will be in serious trouble. Consider this, on Sunday Jamie Carragher had twenty stitches in a wound, Skrtel has also had stitches and now Torres has had some put in a head would. Just imagine if they had been more serious innjuries. . ? Without Carragher and Torres we would be right up that well known creek without a paddle!

However, the good news is that Man Utd were stuffed by Burnley!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Without Torres maybe, but we did pretty well without him for nearly half of last season.

Like I said, top 4 easy.

Lucas played 2 blinders so far.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Not news to any knowledgeable fan i know...

But we have...i mean HAVE to sell Lucas.

He is absolute garbage.

Shocking player....

And we are looking very hollow this season.
We need new players.... we have NO money.

Not good..

And we'll be lucky to make the top 4... VERY lucky.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well, I said it before and I'll say it again- what you saw tonight in Liverpools 3-1 defeat at home to Aston Villa is what happens when you sell one of your best players and then don't invest in new quality players. Let me give you an example at just how bad it is. . .!
Aston Villa have only had two wins in their last eighteen games!
Liverpool, until tonight, hadn't been beaten at home for just short of two years!
Last season Liverpool only lost two games ALL SEASON in the league.Three matches in and we have already equaled that. . .
And guess who scored Villa's opening goal? You could be forgiven for thinking that it would be a Villa player, but you'd be wrong. It was scored by possibly the worst player ever to wear the famous red shirt, Lucas! Not satisfied with giving the ball away all the time he's now scoring goals for the opposition!!! He was eventually substituted for Voronin which is like saying I'd rather have Bubonic Plague than Aids!
Torres got us one back in the 72nd minute but no sooner had play restarted than Gerrard gave a penalty away.
I said this would happen and was lambasted for it. At the end the Villa fans chanted easy. It was their first win over Liverpool in eight years and yes, it was easy.
Liverpool won't win anything this year unless the American owners either leave (please!) or invest in new players. The commentator said it best at the end. . . Liverpool were lilly livered!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
No title ever gets decided in the first 15 games, let alone 3.

Spurs and Villa are going to be BIG obstacles for anyone this year. Simple as that.

United have already lost to Burnley, which shows they are fallible and Arsenal, Chelsea and City are all going to lose at some point - guaranteed.

I HATE modern football journalism, with a passion. There is no perspective in it anymore, just mindless gibberish and over analysis.

Please guys, lets not fall into that trap here!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I'd like to take a look at the free kick that was given away for the first goal.

First, the player had to be taken out, because he was waltzing unopposed into the box.

Why was he doing this?
because Carra gave the ball away at the other end of the pitch, then couldn't get back because he's too slow, so someone had to cover for him.
What was he doing up there in the first place, that early in the game?

masch makes the same kind of tackles every game, but gets praised for them.

2nd goal, Reina loses his temper and doesn't concentrate, Torres and Carragher combined cannot mark one attacker at the near post and give him pretty much a free header.

3rd goal?
What an awful, awful tackle by a player who should know better.

But yet again, the kneejerkers single out one player who was no worse than anyone else, and start slagging him off.

Lucas has been our best midfielder this season, including last nights game.

Now that's not to say he has improved radically, it's an indication that senior players who should be stepping up to the mark have been absolutely woefull.

Blupblup, your thinly disguised dig hasn't gone unnoticed - like I say, if you think Lucas is so bad, take it up with Rafa, the coaching staff and the rest of the team who see him every day in training and really rate the lad.

he's young, he makes mistakes (who doesn't) and yet again, know nothings jump on the nearest bandwagon - to blame him for an og is nothing short of outrageous.

Did you blame carra? alonso? for og's?

No, which shows where you're coming from.

People say drop gerrard back to centre mid and play 442 - rubbish, 442 is broken down far too easily, and the full backs lose attacking options, as do the wide players.

Gerrard in the centre?
More rubbish - play gerrard there and you end up with a massive hole in cm because gerrard doesn't have the discipline to play there and never has, which is why Rafa gives him the free AM role.

Fact is, everything I've heard from certain supposed "fans" was actually said by commentators on last nights game - but then I already knew that some people need their opinions spoon fed to them by the media

We were worse at the start of last season, but got away with lucky draws - Rafa said he would take the shcakles off, and he has. The upshot of that is no more lucky draws because we are sacrificing defensive responsibility for attack.
We had more than enough chances to win the game last night.
We didn't take them, due to a combination of bad luck and bad finishing.
We will in the future when our players are fully match fit.

We'll see who's right at the end of the season.

[edit on 25/8/2009 by budski]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Rafa's time has been and gone, he sould have been replaced at the end of last season.
Liverpool need new faces on and off the pitch.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Hi Nefermore. The fact is that every game, every point in the Premiereship matters. Last year we only lost twice all season and still came second!!! By the time we sort this out teams like Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal will be other the hill and far away.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I agree with wat u said, we are a good team but sometimes we play like crap.. villa are a good team but we cant walk round.. we was unlucky with posts n own goal but we should play better..

thats just my own 2 cents but if i was honest get rid of raffa hes ok but he dont half do some crack pot stuff regarding rotation ..

just wanted a ramble coz i was mad we lost to villa least we got one lol

lil stat first time we lost when torres has scored!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.

Hi Nefermore. The fact is that every game, every point in the Premiereship matters. Last year we only lost twice all season and still came second!!! By the time we sort this out teams like Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal will be other the hill and far away.

And Man U lost 4 and came first

One of the things Rafa promised was to take off the shackles from the word go.

He's done that, but with attacking flair you give away some defensive solidity.

Last night we had 68% possession, and 19 shots.

On another night we would have been 4 up before they got the first goal.

And that's with us playing badly.

Fact is, I'm bored with all this knee jerk, look for a scapegoat mentality.

All it shows is complete ignorance and lack of knowledge.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Lucas has been our best midfielder this season, including last nights game.

And that's good because...?
The whole team has been terrible all pre-season and it's just continuing into the league.

Just because Rafa says Lucas has been the best player pre-season, and you parrot everything Rafa says, as we know, doesn't make it true.

Lucas is garbage.... nearly every Liverpool fan can see it, that's why we want shot of him.
He IS the weak link.

Now that's not to say he has improved radically, it's an indication that senior players who should be stepping up to the mark have been absolutely woefull.

I agree....the whole team is performing badly.
And we papered over the cracks last season.

We needed another striker and a world-class winger.... if we'd had that...the league was ours for the taking.... we didn't and we drew way too many games and finished second.

Still with a record number of points and with the fewest losses of any other team in the league.

Now we've come into this season without our second best midfielder and without the desperately needed winger and striker that we should have got already.

Blupblup, your thinly disguised dig hasn't gone unnoticed - like I say, if you think Lucas is so bad, take it up with Rafa, the coaching staff and the rest of the team who see him every day in training and really rate the lad.

Nobody Thinks Lucas is garbage... we KNOW he is, we have eyes...and 99.9% of fans want him gone.
He's garbage and not cut-out for premier league football.

As i pointed out the last time to you.... Rafa does NOT slate players.... not his way, he backs them even though he may not particularly be pleased with them.

He has to maintain a harmonious dressing room.

Now do you think you can reply this time without the insults and post removals of last time?

Can you keep your toys in the pram do you think?

he's young, he makes mistakes (who doesn't) and yet again, know nothings jump on the nearest bandwagon - to blame him for an og is nothing short of outrageous.

No.... know-nothings (as you put it) back Lucas and continue to say he's young and he's getting better....

You'll be saying it when he's 25-6 and still playing crap.

I hope to god he's not still here then :shk:

And to blame him for the OG is outrageous???

He gave away the free-kick....and then headed it in to his OWN NET!!!!

?
Er..... did you see the game?

We had more than enough chances to win the game last night.
We didn't take them, due to a combination of bad luck and bad finishing.
We will in the future when our players are fully match fit.
We'll see who's right at the end of the season.

We did.....which is why we needed to buy the players for positions we needed...something that was not done last season.

A winger and another striker.

Or play Babel upfront with Torres...

But hey......we know-nothing, fake-fans don't know what we're talking about do we...

[edit on 25/8/09 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

All I'm going to say to your inane ramblings is look at a few things, assuming you know how to use a chalkboard

Go on, look at the tackles, the passes completed, where they are made on the pitch etc etc
Compare them to any other Liverpool midfield player for the 3 games so far this season.

And you'll see exactly why you're full of it.

before you start going on about stats, this chalkboard is comparable as an analytical tool to the ProZone tool the top coaches use - so it's far from useless.

I don't need Rafa to tell me my opinions, I have eyes and can see for myself, unlike yourself who gets his opinions from commentators and tabloids

Like I said, we'll see who's right at the end of the season.

As i pointed out the last time to you.... Rafa does NOT slate players.... not his way, he backs them even though he may not particularly be pleased with them.

Nope he ships them out as soon as possible.
Wonder why he hasn't done that?
Because he rates Lucas, as do the rest of the coaching staff and all the senior players, as well as Dunga, who might just know a little about football, midfield play in general and is the Brazil coach

BTW is this what Rafa meant in the papers about senior players stepping up?
That kind of "no criticism" ?
That kind of "not slating" ?

And to blame him for the OG is outrageous???
He gave away the free-kick....and then headed it in to his OWN NET!!!!

he gave away the ball because he had to cover for carragher who gave the ball away just outside the Villa area and couldn't get back in time because he has no pace.

Do you blame every player for an OG.

Did you blame Xabi for thos he scored at the wrong end? or Carragher?

You're really just showing that you know squat about football with that remark

We did.....which is why we needed to buy the players for positions we needed...something that was not done last season.

A winger and another striker.

Last night happened because we are very short of match fitness - it's easy to see with Gerrard, Masch and Torres.
It's one of the reasons Riera is on the bench.

heard of this modern concept have you?

And please tell me, which world class winger and striker are going to come and sit on the bench?

They'll want to be playing every week.

Do you drop Riera, the best Spanish player at the confed cup?

Drop Torres perhaps?
or do you rotate them with your new buys, making sure that no-one gets truly match fit and that you have at least 4 unhappy players in the dressing room that is apparently the epitome of harmony, and at the same time change an extremely successfull formation to accomodate these stars.

Babel up front??
Are you insane?
he's half the player Lucas is and you want to play him in a 442 up front with Torres whilst breaking up one of the best strike partnerships in the world, and the best system in the league?

I'm thoroughly convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
newsarse.com...

“Jamie and Stevie have put in hours of hard work on the training ground with Torres and were both on the verge of securing a much sought after date”. Hahaha

It's fake but still hillarious

[edit on 25-8-2009 by nastalgik]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Go on, look at the tackles, the passes completed, where they are made on the pitch etc etc
Compare them to any other Liverpool midfield player for the 3 games so far this season.

And you'll see exactly why you're full of it.

So on that basis....Spurs for the title then?

An we're to finish mid-table...

That's great logic dude.... Lucas is the best player after 3 games??

In fact, that's what I've come to expect from you actually.

That's as meaningful as top scorer after 3 games... :shk:

Anyway.

Are we gonna do this again?

You know we don't agree on anything... and you're never wrong and nobody else is allowed an opinion on this thread.

So what's the point?

Lucas is crap.... that is a fact.

It is known by Football fans up and down the country.

As we said last time, time will tell.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

So now you know more not only than Rafa, his coaching staff and the whole Liverpool team, but you know more than the coach of Brazil!

tell me, how many top level teams have you managed?

how many have you coached?

How many have you played for?

None that's how many.
So what makes you think you know more than all of the people I mentioned before?

It can't be just Rafa "protecting" him if he's been called up to the full Brazil squad - a squad very few english players would get in.

Ah, but I forget, you think Rafa never slates his players

'There is no doubt that senior players must take on more responsibility while I have no problem with the system we use. It won us 86 points last season and we only conceded 10 goals from set-pieces.

'But there are things that must be improved. Maybe our focus, we must now win our next game and then things can change.

'There were too many people involved with mistakes for the goals (against Villa), the own goal was unlucky and we maybe could have done better for their second defending the corner.

'And, as for the penalty, it is better if the player (Gerrard) can stay on his feet and then the outcome could be different.

source
yep, that's not saying a bad word about anyone and keeping quiet - after all he NEVER slates a player in the press does he?

Oh, wait...

LMAO you're the one who wanted to play Babel up front, with Torres in a 442.
He's strong all right - he can trap a ball further than most people can kick it

babel in a 442 with Torres up front???

LMAO
That's so funny it's not even worth refuting

So come on Mr Michels (even know who that is??? ) tell us who you would like to come in to sit on the bench.
Tell us which formation you would use and where you would play the players we have, or bring in new ones and where you would play them.

Which world class players would YOU buy for the wing and up front?

Which formation would you play to accomodate these new players?

Where would you get this money from?

COME ON MATEY, ANSWER THE QUESTIONS, OR LOSE ALL CREDIBILITY AND LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

Show us you know something, anything about football.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

COME ON MATEY, ANSWER THE QUESTIONS, OR LOSE ALL CREDIBILITY AND LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

Show us you know something, anything about football.

You lost all credibility when you couldn't respond to any of my points last time.. and just mouthed off....as you are now.

Why would i afford you the courtesy you refused to afford me?

You lost all credibility when you started attacking any and every poster/member on here, whose opinion differs from yours.

Time will tell..

Lucas will go...

We have to buy players or we're screwed.

But you and your ego already have it figured out right?

[edit on 25/8/09 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I respond to your points every time, but you do nothing except evade - same way all down the line.

Come on now, tell us what makes you more of an expert than the whole anfield staff and team, one the best managers around, and the coach of the Brazilian national team, who are currently ranked number one ion the world.

Please, I'm dying to know what you can see that these professionals can't.
Tell me of your professional qualifications, or the experience you have that makes you such an expert.

I don't need to list any - I'm not the one contradicting some of the best coaches and experts in european and world football.

You still fail to tell us what players you would bring in, what formation you would use when you've brought them in, and who you would bench to accomodate them.

Not to mention where you would get the money from.

Please, enlighten us mere mortals.
Let us bask in the glory of your footballing wisdom that is such that you can say unequivecally that some of the best in the world at what they do are wrong and you are right.

I wait with bated breath.

For you to try and evade.

fact is you can't answer, you have no answer because you haven't got the first clue what you're talking about.

Go back to reading the rags so you can get your next opinion, and leave the discussions to people who actually know something about the game and the team

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join