It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Thought all you diehard Liverpool supporters would like this. It's the official Nike advert which was shown in Spain. Brilliant stuff.

www.youtube.com...

Just in case anyone doesn't know the words (surely not) this is how it goes.

"His armband proves he was red, Torres, Torres,
You'll never walk alone it said, Torres, Torres,
We brought him over from sunny Spain,
He gets the ball and scores again,
Fernado Torres, Liverpools number 9."

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Gday

As the enemy felt repulsed to post in our thread but managed to i see pazcat....
Pls join the BTS fanatsy football comp...
PLs come so we have brute force numbers...
Zazz

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Aquilani signs
www.liverpoolfc.tv...

Sorry to see Alonso go, but this guy can pass, is more mobile, scores more, and is better in tight spaces.

His injury record isn't great, BUT Spaletti at Roma is notorious for rushing players back before they are ready.

Riise has this to say:

Former Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise says Alberto Aquilani will bring a greater goal threat for Liverpool than Xabi Alonso ever offered.

Riise has played with the Reds’ imminent signing for the last season at Roma and says he has been very impressed to see what the 25-year-old Italian midfielder can do.

Riise said, “When I first came to Roma, I didn’t know a thing about Aquilani.

“I knew all about Francesco Totti, Daniele De Rossi and Philippe Mexes, of course, but Aquilani was the player who surprised me the most in my first months with what he could do.

“He’s really good on the ball, with good passing, good movement, he works hard and is a good professional.

“He likes to have the ball at his feet but not because he likes to dribble, he just wants to keep the team moving. He never stands still, he’s always on the run.

“He certainly runs more than Xabi and is probably more dangerous in terms of getting in the box and trying to score goals.

source

A good endorsement.

Let's see if anyone else comes in - we are a little short of experience at the back, and I think we need a little more cover in attacking midfield/striker.

In other words, Silva - but I'm not going to hold my breath

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

sounds good to me

Lets kick some tushy!! and if all goes well we will have our KING in full action this season

Long as we are above the manc's this season ill be a very happy bunny

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
reply to post by budski

Long as we are above the manc's this season ill be a very happy bunny

That's pretty much the only thing that matters

lol

oink

oink

[edit on 7/8/2009 by budski]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What absolute rubbish. You guys have set your sights far to low. I don't only want to finish above the Mancs but I want to see us finish miles ahead of the opposition and win the premiership title. This Isn't about beating the Mancs it's about beating the rest of the best league in the world. . .
I am Liverpool through and through but I think we'll be hard pushed to finish in the top three. We just haven't bought enough quality players to push on from last season.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Thing is, if we finish above the mancs, we'll probably be in first place.

As for lacking quality, how many times have you seen Aquilani play? My guess would be not at all if you think he lacks quality...

And how do you know there won't be any more signings?

I'm pretty sure Rafa has a trick or two up his sleeve...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Aquilani will be on the treatment bench more times than Michael Owen will!
I don't think Man Utd will be in the running as they haven't got the fire power now that the cheating slimy Ronaldo has left for pastures new. Arsenal haven't strengthened either so I can only see the Premiereship being contended by Chelsea and Man City.
I wish I could see us up there but as far as I'm concerned it's just not possible. Heres hopeing I'm wrong. . .

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

That's a bit of a misconception about Aquilani.

It's well known that Spaletti has brought him back (and others) from injury before they were ready, thus pretty much guaranteeing they would get injured again.

And again I'll ask how many times you've seen him play to make the judgement that he isn't decent quality.

City will be nowhere this year - they might get in the top 4 but that's it.

Utd will still be strong, and it would be a big mistake to write them off.
chelsea will be thereabouts, but arsenal really need a new defense and a holding midfielder.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Been a Liverpool fan since i was 8..

I am not from not from Liverpool..Not even from England...but i love this club...

The pre-season was horrible..but i have hope we will get better...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Our preseason form has been terrible. Stuffed again by Athletico. . . It says something about our form when our best player was the dreadful and inept Lucas!
I'll say it again, we'll be lucky to finish third this season. And if we do finish below last seasons second place spot then I would fear for Rafa's future at Liverpool.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

You still haven't answered my question about Aquilani - could this be because you know nothing about him?

As for our pre-season, how many games did you actually watch?

I saw all of them, and whilst it's true that we were beaten on Saturday, we also played pretty well and had plenty of chances of our own - plus the fact that we were playing 2 kids at centre back, not to mention Insua on the left, means I think we did pretty well and this can only bode well for the future.

As for your comment about Lucas - as I said, I have see all our pre-season games, and it is NOT the fact that all the other players have been bad, it's that Lucas has been outstanding.

When are you doom mongers and people who slate players for no reason realise that Lucas is a very good player.

Or are Rafa, Gerrard, Sammy Lee and the whole of the coaching staff and players wrong and a few terrace monkeys are right?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

How could we know anything about Aquilani? He spent most of last season injured! Even my local paper and the Daily Mirror's, Brian Read, had to search for him on youtube to see what type of player he is and although they all rated him the fact is that he seems injury prone.
We were promised £40 million to strengthen the team, besides the £30 million from the Alonso sale, yet we can't even afford to buy a centre back from Hull for £8 million! We are a team who one or two injuries could wipe out our season. No stength in depth, and besides Glenn Johnson we've bought no one of real class who is recognised world wide. And what makes this worse is that the top four are all in the same boat! Manchester City will walk it as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Or are Rafa, Gerrard, Sammy Lee and the whole of the coaching staff and players wrong and a few terrace monkeys are right?

A few terrace monkeys! Have you ever been to Anfield? Try forty thousand plus week in week out supporters and most of the city of Liverpool, plus most of the supporters world wide. Only last week I had similar discussion with a Texan Liverpool supporter in Vegas. Even he knew Lucas was not fit to wear the famous red shirt. . .The answer to your question is yes, I would trust those who see him for what he is from the terraces rather than from the rose tinted view of a manager who has to keep up the pretence that Lucas is a world beater so he can sell him on for a profit.
I remember when we had a another manager who everyone had unshakable faith in because he was one of us and the last of the boot room- Roy Evans. It took some time to realise that he couldn't hack it. However, I feel Rafa is up to it but he is just not getting the finances he needs therefore we wont be challenging for the title this season.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I know and have seen quite a lot about Aquilani, which is why I made the point about Spalletti, the Roma coach.

This is the very same Aquilani that both Chelsea and Arsenal were after a few years ago, but he didn't want to leave Roma at the time because he thought he was too young.

his injury is an ankle injury that flared up and required surgery after Spalletti brough him back too early, and it was the same for the thigh injury he had a few years ago.

He's fairly big, a great passer, good engine, much more mobile than Alonso, get's forwards, scores a fair few goals, has a great long shot and a great free kick and is a very quick one touch player, especially around the box.

I know all that just from watching Serie A and ECL over the last few years, I don't need some rag of a paper or youtube to tell me, or to give me my opinion as I study the game itself and other leagues, which is how I could name the 2 finalists in the Euro's last year in a BTS competition.

Now if you need some rag to tell you what to think of a player, I pity you and would not consider you a fan or student of the game, and therefore will disregard these inanities in future.

And here's the breakdown of the cost of Aquilani, just to further prove the english media don't have a clue;

The 20 million EURO transfer fee is broken up into the following:

- 4 cash instalments of
- - 5 million EURO upfront
- - 3 million EURO by 4th January 2010
- - 7 million EURO by June 30th 2010
- - 5 million EURO by June 30th 2011.

Further Add ons include:

- 300,000 EURO for every year Liverpool qualify for the Champions League from 2010/11 to 2014/15

- 250,000 EURO everytime the player reaches 35 appearancs, 70 appearances, 105 appeances and then 140 appearances.

- 1 million EURO the first time Liverpool either wins the Premier League or Champions League by 30 June 2014.

- 5% of any future transfer fee will be paid to Roma.

Details can be found here (for those fluent in Italian) - www.asroma.it...

I got a mate to translate it.

So as you can see this £20 million is just more nonsense - but if you want to believe the press, you go ahead, just don't expect me to follow.

[edit on 10/8/2009 by budski]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I know all that just from watching Serie A and ECL over the last few years, I don't need some rag of a paper or youtube to tell me, or to give me my opinion as I study the game itself and other leagues, which is how I could name the 2 finalists in the Euro's last year in a BTS competition.

Please, I beg forgiveness. I didn't know I was talking to such an expert!!! Imagine being able to name the 2 finalists in the Euro's last year. What did you win, a map showing you where Anfield is perhaps? If I was you I'd leave the discussion of this great football institution to those who go and live here. To those who discuss it nightly over a few pints. To those proper supporters who struggle to see their beloved team every week.
You football academics should take up a new sport. . . How about chess?

Oh dear!
Do me a favour please. Don't talk football with me anymore! If I want to speak with a dick I'll learn ventriloquism and talk to my own!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

That was a bit harsh mate...

no offence but we are all liverpool supporters calling people a dick is kinda off you know..

i live down the road from the footy club i love and always will.. but just because you have another view aint givin you the right to be nasty more so to a fellow red

just sayin

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Fairly typical - a know nothing resorts to name calling

I bet you've never even heard of Rinus Michels and his influence on Rafa have you?

Pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that you got called on something and got shown up because you know nowt.

Living near Anfield means jack - if it did, every scally would be an expert, but they ain't, in fact they're the lairy ones who cause trouble because they think they know it all and when they get proved wrong resort to "ooter" comments.

36 years I've supported Liverpool and been a fan of football in general.

You live in Liverpool and think that makes you an expert.

Get a grip la

[edit on 11/8/2009 by budski]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Someone who tries to tell anyone that they are knowledgable on football because they knew who was in the finals of the Euro's and claims his "expertise" comes from watching foreign football on the television, is quite honestly a hairs breath away from living out their life in a padded cell.

You claim to know more about Liverpool FC than those who live near the ground (thats Anfield by the way) who drink and talk to those who work at Melwood and Anfield and who rub shoulders with the players and staff. If I remember rightly it wasn't so long ago you were trying to convince me that Alonso wasn't going anywhere. . . Yeh, you're an expert alright!
Why don't you start watching a sport more suitable to your talents? Perhaps netball or tiddlywinks!
But for gods sake, leave football alone. It's a mans game.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Someone who tries to tell anyone that they are knowledgable on football because they knew who was in the finals of the Euro's and claims his "expertise" comes from watching foreign football on the television, is quite honestly a hairs breath away from living out their life in a padded cell.

I said I PREDICTED the finalists, not knew who they were.

Bit of reading comprehension difficulty there is there?

And there's more to football than watching skysports or MOTD once a month and gobbing off to people that you live somewhere in the vicinity of the ground.

If that's the case, it makes you more knowledgeable than Rafa before he arrived.

know more about Liverpool FC than those who live near the ground (thats Anfield by the way) who driork at Melwood and Anfield and who rub shoulders with the players and staff.

yeah, right, you're on first name terms with all the players and all the staff at Melwood who just happen to be new, because Rafa sacked the old lot a few months ago
Jeez, what a wannabe, and cos yeah, all the players hang around the Sandon

If I remember rightly it wasn't so long ago you were trying to convince me that Alonso wasn't going anywhere. . . Yeh, you're an expert alright!

Nope, what I said was, I'll believe it when it's on the official site or in the Echo, rather than The Mirror
Not the first time you've quoted that rag as gospel - which is an absolute nonsense.

Why don't you start watching a sport more suitable to your talents? Perhaps netball or tiddlywinks!
But for gods sake, leave football alone. It's a mans game.

You got caught bulling again and can't take it.

You got found out and now you're throwing your toys out the pram.

Before you read it in the Mirror, you didn't even KNOW who Aquilani was.

You're one of those pathetic excuses for a supporter who shouts about how rubbish our team, our manager and our players are.

Every time I go to Anfield it's the same - some gobby scally who thinks he knows it all because he lives down the road when he really knows nowt.
Congratulations, that's the category you fall into.

Next it'll be about "ooters" and "our team" and how it's been taken over.

Well guess what sonny, without the ooters Anfield would be half empty every week and Liverpool would be playing in the Championship.

And glory hunters like you wouldn't even bother following them - you'd be at Goodison where most scousers go at the weekend.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join